Nick Bahe podcast w/ Matt Abdelmassih

KoH

I’ve been a longtime reader first time poster. I was waiting for someone to post about the latest episode of Bahe’s podcast. I really enjoyed listening to this episode and learning more about Coach A.  Curious what everyone else’s thoughts were?

9 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Starting to get a little wary of all the proclamations from Coach A about players. It was a good talk however. I was surprised to hear him speak so highly of Lat Mayen.

I have to agree. Before last season, he called Cam Mack an NBA player (to be fair, Coach Miles called Jervay an NBA player a few times). Now it’s Dalano and Teddy. I hope he’s right, of course. 

Well crap.  After listening to that I will have to change my lineup again.   I am going to start Lat at the 4 and have Stevenson come off the bench.  Did he talk about Trey?  I kind of jumped through the interview. 

Edited by REDitus

4 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I have to agree. Before last season, he called Cam Mack an NBA player (to be fair, Coach Miles called Jervay an NBA player a few times). Now it’s Dalano and Teddy. I hope he’s right, of course. 

Mack with his speed and vision has to be considered a fringe NBA prospect.  Needs to work on his shot and develop something resembling a winning mentality.  He's good but he's not good enough to diva his way to the highest levels of professional basketball.

You can see the potential in Teddy and Dalano. Feels like they will complement each other well so we will see how far they've come in the last couple of years.

14 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Starting to get a little wary of all the proclamations from Coach A about players. It was a good talk however. I was surprised to hear him speak so highly of Lat Mayen.

Teddy will be our best player. Lat will surprise. Banton will be just a guy. Stevenson will leave a lot to be desired. No one will be able to defend. We will end up around .500. Calling my shot. 

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Mack with his speed and vision has to be considered a fringe NBA prospect.  Needs to work on his shot and develop something resembling a winning mentality.  He's good but he's not good enough to diva his way to the highest levels of professional basketball.

You can see the potential in Teddy and Dalano. Feels like they will complement each other well so we will see how far they've come in the last couple of years.

Speaking of Mack has he landed anywhere yet???  This pandemic has my memory a little foggy, sorry if its old news.....

Finished listening to the podcast.  I very much understand how Matt A is one of the best recruiters in Div 1.

The impressive info he had on Mayan was his motor and the chip on his shoulder about having to go to Juco. Also says he's a heck of a shooter.  I still see him as 4.  If him and Stevenson are the two 'bigs' on the court, who is the 5?  To me it's 245# Stevenson vs 205# Mayan.

9 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I’m very excited to watch Teddy and Dalano and think they do check a lot of boxes the NBA looks for. Of all the attributes scouts look for, speed and vision might be the only two boxes Cam checked. As an NBA point guard if you don’t have elite talent, you better have elite toughness and leadership qualities. Toughness and leadership are probably Cam’s two biggest weaknesses. 

15 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I’m very excited to watch Teddy and Dalano and think they do check a lot of boxes the NBA looks for. Of all the attributes scouts look for, speed and vision might be the only two boxes Cam checked. As an NBA point guard if you don’t have elite talent, you better have elite toughness and leadership qualities. Toughness and leadership are probably Cam’s two biggest weaknesses. 

Cam's biggest issue was between his ears.  

On 7/22/2020 at 10:36 AM, OmahaHusker said:

Teddy will be our best player. Lat will surprise. Banton will be just a guy. Stevenson will leave a lot to be desired. No one will be able to defend. We will end up around .500. Calling my shot. 

You’re entitled to your opinion but Banton will put his fingerprints on our games in a wide variety of ways just because he’s such a unicorn guard prospect with his length/height.  I think he’ll fill the stat sheet nightly.  

10 minutes ago, LK1 said:

You’re entitled to your opinion but Banton will put his fingerprints on our games in a wide variety of ways just because he’s such a unicorn guard prospect with his length/height.  I think he’ll fill the stat sheet nightly.  

No question about his stature, he just can’t shoot and I think that’ll be an issue. 

16 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

No question about his stature, he just can’t shoot and I think that’ll be an issue. 

A lot of that depends who else is on the court.  If Banton needs to be a primary scorer, I think we'll have issues. To me I'd think of him on this team as sort of the Haanif Cheatham where he's getting you easy buckets (with his length and movement as opposed to blazing speed) and someone who is probably a plus on defense.  

I keep looking at this team and it really feels like the most important question is whether or not we can depend on Teddy Allen to average 20+ a game.  If you have this you can structure the rest of the team around this. 

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I keep looking at this team and it really feels like the most important question is whether or not we can depend on Teddy Allen to average 20+ a game.  If you have this you can structure the rest of the team around this. 

JMO, but I don't see Allen putting up 20+/game in Hoiberg's system (maybe under Miles) nor anyone else going forward. I think we are more likely to see several guys averaging between 10-15/game. With ball and player movement being paramount in Fred's system, it should lead to more players having scoring opportunities and less likely that we will have someone be a dominant scorer. Having said this, we should have more guys on the roster that are capable of going off for big numbers on a given night. At least I hope this will be the case.

Edited by hugh42

1 hour ago, hugh42 said:

JMO, but I don't see Allen putting up 20+/game in Hoiberg's system (maybe under Miles) nor anyone else going forward. I think we are more likely to see several guys averaging between 10-15/game. With ball and player movement being paramount in Fred's system, it should lead to more players having scoring opportunities and less likely that we will have someone be a dominate scorer. Having said this, we should have more guys on the roster that are capable of going off for big numbers on a given night. At least I hope this will be the case.

20+ might be a bit much unless his efficiency is phenomenal.  Looking back through old Hoiberg squads, 15-17 ppg seems pretty reasonable with 2-4 other teammates averaging 10+.

On 7/22/2020 at 3:12 PM, hhcmatt said:

Finished listening to the podcast.  I very much understand how Matt A is one of the best recruiters in Div 1.

The impressive info he had on Mayan was his motor and the chip on his shoulder about having to go to Juco. Also says he's a heck of a shooter.  I still see him as 4.  If him and Stevenson are the two 'bigs' on the court, who is the 5?  To me it's 245# Stevenson vs 205# Mayan.

I am going with Yvan at the 5 with Walker or Stevenson filling in behind him as the situation dictates.   Walker strictly a 5 but Stevenson should be able to be  a 4 and part time 5.

I think Yvan will be heaps better.   With Yvan&Walker in they can run a 4 out 1 in and they can put in Stevnson and do 5 out.   

Edited by REDitus