Big Ten Conference-Only Season

No mention of Men's or Women's Basketball (yet)!

Big Ten Conference announced today that if the Conference is able to participate in fall sports (men’s and women’s cross country, field hockey, football, men’s and women’s soccer, and women’s volleyball) based on medical advice, it will move to Conference-only schedules in those sports. Details for these sports will be released at a later date, while decisions on sports not listed above will continue to be evaluated.

https://bigten.org/news/2020/7/9/big-ten-statement-on-2020-21-fall-season.aspx

Edited by Red Don

32 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

This appears to be the “trial balloon” that will soften the blow of what I think we all know is coming...

Possibly. But at the very least, it gives the conference more control and less uncertainty with other conference participation. So they can focus on building their own scheduling, travel plans, and safety procedures now.

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

As a lifelong Notre Dame football fan (yes, I know, burn me at the stake) this worries me.  If more conferences end up making this change, ND will end up playing BYU and Navy 6x each.

My bet is Notre Dame would work something out with the conference that thier other sports are affiliated with. 

Edited by cornfed24-7

6 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

As a lifelong Notre Dame football fan (yes, I know, burn me at the stake) this worries me.  If more conferences end up making this change, ND will end up playing BYU and Navy 6x each.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. With their tie in to the ACC in their other sports and five games against the conference they already are locked into. If(when) they go to conference only they'll probably be treated like a normal ACC team.

So as of now, Nebraska is down to a whopping FOUR home football games with a road trip to Rutgers highly unlikely. Volleyball is hoping to play at PBA to allow for distancing, & Basketball Men’s/Women’s who knows... I fear Professional sports will start then quickly shut down due to outbreaks & unforeseen logistical nightmares. Colleges might take their cues from there.

6 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Let's just hope for *some* live sports. . . I'm starting to wonder how much will ensue. Maybe the professionals within MLB, NBA et al can figure it out ahead of the fall football & volleyball season. Who knows?!

Two MLS teams have already dropped out and we're not even a week into that restart, one NWSL team has dropped out, NBA is seeing some spotty results already, and some top MLB players are refusing to play right now. So there's a lot up in the air right now.

7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

So as of now, Nebraska is down to a whopping FOUR home football games with a road trip to Rutgers highly unlikely. Volleyball is hoping to play at PBA to allow for distancing, & Basketball Men’s/Women’s who knows... I fear Professional sports will start then quickly shut down due to outbreaks & unforeseen logistical nightmares. Colleges might take their cues from there.

The current league schedule isn't going to be the one they use. They are going to redo the schedule to put  the divisional games first so home/away will change. We may not even have the same crossovers.

Coach Frost hit it on the head a few weeks ago - the virus isn't going anywhere, and we have to learn how to live with it as safely as possible. Athletes are almost certainly safer with sports and all the protocols in place, rather than taking them out of that atmosphere. 

However, the people in charge of making these decisions are not risk takers on the whole. University leaders do not want to be known for going rogue, and the easiest decision is to shut everything down.

I know yesterday's announcement was supposed to infuse optimism about a season, but it had the opposite effect on me. I think it was step 1 toward shutting everything down.

I'd guess if there's no football in September, there are no college sports of any kind in 2020-21. Without football, the finances don't justify starting any sports for the entire school year. Yes, men's basketball makes some money, but if you play men's hoops, you almost certainly have to play all of the other non-revenue sports in the winter and spring too, which is tough to justify without football cash in the bank.

No football in 2020 also is going to result in massive cutting of sports and scholarships. Schools (outside of NU) just don't have a rainy day fund. Could completely change college athletics and the number of opportunities that are available. 

Hope I'm wrong, and hope the leaders are not just looking at the short term consequences of this. 

Edited by throwback

14 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

We're going to see football of some kind this year. Might not be the Big 10, but the SEC is going to play regardless. Looks like I might have to pull out my old LSU CWS merch for this fall. 

Speaking of the SEC (or the SIAA at the time), Georgia Tech managed to play football during the 1918 pandemic.

d5aaaeb2-51b9-4015-b9d7-365d5863ccfc_192

10 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

The current league schedule isn't going to be the one they use. They are going to redo the schedule to put  the divisional games first so home/away will change. We may not even have the same crossovers.

I’ve heard Michigan St. will be added to make it an even ten, but it’s really all just speculation at this point. I’d be more surprised if we DO have a season at this point then if we don’t.

This is all so ridiculous to me. If you wana stay home, stay home. If you wana go watch the game, go to the game. If you wana play, play. The hospitals aren’t even close to being overwhelmed. Nearly everyone is getting tested. Majority of people don’t show symptoms. Death rate continues to decrease. Recovery rate continues to increase. What the hell are we doing cancelling virtually everything still? 

3 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

The hospitals aren’t even close to being overwhelmed. 

False.  While some states are currently well under capacity, the Southern states that are surging are in a heap of trouble. One example: https://www.azmirror.com/2020/07/03/as-covid-19-worsens-az-is-the-first-state-to-enact-crisis-care-standards/

3 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Nearly everyone is getting tested. 

Also false. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/13-states-now-report-coronavirus-testing-issues-echo/story?id=71698974