2023 F Gus Yalden

Wow, that is not the Top 4 list I was expecting to see for Gus.  The kid is highly skilled and had offers from quite a few bigger name schools, but his top 4 includes two historically inept P5 teams and a school that is more "mid" than "mid-major."  Here's hoping we land him, although there's a piece of me that would be highly entertained watching him dominate the Colonial Conference for 4 years.

5 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Yikes.  Usually these sorts of articles pump sunshine on our chances of landing a kid's commitment.  This one reads like a coronation of him becoming a Badger.  Sure does seem like we will be playing against him twice a year for the foreseeable future.

4 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Wisconsin the expectation here?

Sure seems like.  He grew up a Badger fan, has been quoted as considering himself a "local kid" to the Madison area even though he grew up all across the country, and it seems like Wiscy didn't do anything to mess up his recruitment.  I will be stoked if we land him, or even if he just goes somewhere other than Wisconsin.  But unfortunately I think he's going to be a thorn in our side for the next four seasons.

7 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Robin Washut said, several days ago, that it’s Wisconsin.

Which is really unfortunate.  He has the talent to be a nightmare for opponents from Day 1, and the measurements/body shape to be stuck in college for all four years.  Yay.

1 minute ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

It is amazing how many basketball players NU and Wisconsin are both in on, and it seems every single one goes to Wisconsin.

If I was being recruited by both and didn’t have any allegiances, it would be pretty easy to pick Wisconsin honestly. That’s a beautiful campus, great college town and they’ve been winning at a high rate.

Yeah, if you take the fan bias out of the equation, it's not hard to see the appeal of UW.  Madison has cool vibes and the surrounding area has some beautiful scenery.  Lake Michigan coastline is nearby.  Milwaukee is an hour away and Chicago is less than 3, if cities are important to you.  If you told me I had to move back to the Midwest and job location wasn't an issue, honestly Madison would be under consideration and Lincoln would not.  Loved my four years at DONU, but I don't miss Lincoln. 

Then add on to that the basketball component.  Wiscy is regularly a winner and our program is rudderless.  I don't blame the kid at all for his decision.  Still sucks, but is understandable why we lose these head-to-head recruiting battles.

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Gus went to 4 different high schools and picks an AAU team at random to play on each weekend. Early money is on him not finishing his career in Madison.

Was listening to Robin on Early Break with Sip and Jake this morning say the same thing about his predisposition to move around and had the exact same thought.  Like...he might try to beat Teddy Allen's top score.  In fact, Teddy Allen was the first thing that came to mind when I heard him talk about this.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:39 PM, 49r said:

Was listening to Robin on Early Break with Sip and Jake this morning say the same thing about his predisposition to move around and had the exact same thought.  Like...he might try to beat Teddy Allen's top score.  In fact, Teddy Allen was the first thing that came to mind when I heard him talk about this.

Teddy may not be done yet, just saying, he definitely has set the bar high here.

• 1 year later...