Elijah Wood N

I'm back from a little bit of time off and am catching up on the latest roster turnover.  I'd like to hear from anyone that is optimistic that Wood will be a contributor.  What are your thoughts on his game, and why do you think he will fit in here?

My knee-jerk reaction is that I don't think he'll crack the rotation this year. And given his proclivity to decommit multiple times during the recruiting process, that makes him appear to be a highly likely transfer candidate if he indeed is not in the rotation.  But I'd love for someone to convince me I'm wrong!  So to any Elijah Wood fans -- please let me know why I should jump on the bandwagon.

30 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm back from a little bit of time off and am catching up on the latest roster turnover.  I'd like to hear from anyone that is optimistic that Wood will be a contributor.  What are your thoughts on his game, and why do you think he will fit in here?

My knee-jerk reaction is that I don't think he'll crack the rotation this year. And given his proclivity to decommit multiple times during the recruiting process, that makes him appear to be a highly likely transfer candidate if he indeed is not in the rotation.  But I'd love for someone to convince me I'm wrong!  So to any Elijah Wood fans -- please let me know why I should jump on the bandwagon.

....Unless McGowens gets a waiver we’ll need another ball handler and he’ll have to play? 

19 minutes ago, Vinny said:

....Unless McGowens gets a waiver we’ll need another ball handler and he’ll have to play? 

That's a good point.  Webster and Banton are the only guys that seem like natural ball handlers.  Plenty of other guys that are playmakers with the ball in their hand, but not necessarily facilitators nor guys you want dribbling to break a press.  So a third ball handler that is available for foul trouble/injury/suspension situations makes sense.  Not sure that adds up to enough playing time to make the average D1 players happy though.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

I think he'll play because he's an excellent, long defender and elite passer.  Looks like he'll be good for spot minutes at the 1-3.  I think he could be groomed behind Banton as another giant PG.  He's 6'6".  Check the hudl:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2DX6uX

7 hours ago, LK1 said:

I think he'll play because he's an excellent, long defender and elite passer.  Looks like he'll be good for spot minutes at the 1-3.  I think he could be groomed behind Banton as another giant PG.  He's 6'6".  Check the hudl:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2DX6uX

He certainly seems to be a great distributor, with play makers around him, which we have, I can see him having a decent sized role. If he does earn a role in the rotation it’s not hard to see him being pretty effective.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

For as much as I wonder about Wood I also wonder if he's more skilled in a position of need than Arop and thus will get more playing time.

Yeah, 6'5"ish long athletic defender sounds pretty familiar.  Add in the ball-handling ability of Wood and he may just have taken Akol's minutes.  But Arop seems like a kid that will have one fantastic offseason and come out of nowhere into a major contributor.  Will that be this offseason?  I'm guessing not.

As to Arop, aphilso is right: never underestimate the power of persistent effort over time.

He's got the athleticism required to compete in the B1G. 

And you've gotta' admire his perseverance amid adversity -- which is what success is ultimately built upon! 

Edited by Swan88

20 hours ago, Swan88 said:

As to Arop, aphilso is right: never underestimate the power of persistent effort over time.

He's got the athleticism required to compete in the B1G. 

And you've gotta' admire his perseverance amid adversity -- which is what success is ultimately built upon! 

I agree. If Akol Arop sticks with it at NU, he could be a Grade-A defender, rebounder, and outlet dude who cleans up around the rim. I also have a lot of faith in the power of persistent progress!!

11 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

And I love the Elijah Wood move... much in a similar vein to my lovin' Evan Taylor before he ever arrived in Lincoln. Gotta have glue guys who are 6'-5" guards. LET'S GO!!

Evan Taylor seems like a good comparison for skills I think.  The other part of Taylor was his personality/presence. We'll find out what Wood brings in that department.