Elijah Wood N

Wow.  Things change quickly these days.

Welcome Elijah!

Things I like about this sudden twist.

1)  We signed another ball handler who can play multiple spots.    

2)  He is a freshmen instead of a Junior.    We had 6 Juniors and 1 freshmen?   Now it's 2 freshmen and 5 Juniors so that is a slightly better distribution.   

4 hours ago, 49r said:

Are you sure we aren't watching highlights for Elija Wiseman?  (listen to the PA announcer at the 0:40 mark). 🤣

I did spend some time watching an Elijah Wood video where I kept wondering why this guy was attempting running layups until I figured out I had the wrong dude. That particular EW was a good shooter though.

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I did spend some time watching an Elijah Wood video where I kept wondering why this guy was attempting running layups until I figured out I had the wrong dude. That particular EW was a good shooter though.

I was just having a laugh because the PA announcer seemed to be having trouble with names.  (understanding completely that he's probably gotta deal with hundreds of guys' names at what appears to be some summer AAU event, so he's checking his sheet each time, or not, and just picking out a name at random that kinda at least starts with the same initial)

3 hours ago, GATA said:

Not to be a downer, but all this turnover in college athletics has me losing interest. There is no growing and building as a team in high-major basketball. I find myself not even caring when we get a recruit, particularly freshman-to-be. I feel like they’ll be out the door before I know it. 

I hope to feel differently tomorrow morning, but this is exactly the way I feel. How can you get excited about anything right now? 

23 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I hope he is open to redshirt this year but that’s probably not gonna happen.

I really don't know the answer to this question. But, could he? As in is there enough depth at the position(s) he is projected to play vs. his perceived talent? 

An aside - I do miss the days of knowing the team backwards and forwards going in to the next season. This last 2 years has left me with very little knowledge of the team we have going into this season. 

9 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I hope to feel differently tomorrow morning, but this is exactly the way I feel. How can you get excited about anything right now? 

it's all a mercenary enterprise. people wanted everything to be like a "business". Well, we got our wish. Enjoy. 

Just for comparison sake, I linked Kobe's recruiting rankings from his commitment thread here (click on the diagonal arrow to get redirected to that post):

Here are Elijah's:

Rivals:

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/elijah-wood-208681

Scout:

https://247sports.com/player/elijah-wood-46041472/

ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/241089/elijah-wood

So...Elijah is clearly not as highly regarded as Kobe was coming out of High School.  But...he wants to come to Nebraska and that, I suppose, is worth something.  Also of note is the fact that Elijah has a much more impressive list of offers than Kobe did.  But I'm not sure just how much that is worth really.

Edited by 49r

14 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I hope he is open to redshirt this year but that’s probably not gonna happen.

Hoiberg has said he doesn’t like the redshirt process unless it’s required due to transfer or injury. I don’t like it for basketball myself either. You only get so many roster spots you don’t want to waste them with a guy you don’t think could play for you today.