2021 Baseball

Bugeaters1

Far too many scenarios still out there; we'll have a much better idea after this weekend. But looking at some potential outcomes, we could split this weekend at 2-2 and still have a shot at the title with a 2-1 series win over Michigan.

That said, win 4 this weekend. But just know it's not a lost cause if we can at least split the weekend.

3 hours ago, 49r said:

So the magic number is now 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's actually tougher than usual to figure out.  Before it is the number of games remaining (4) and add 1, then you subtract the loss difference between the 1st place and the 2nd place (Nebr 11, Mich 14).  Therefore, it would be 4 + 1 - 3 = 2.

1 minute ago, brfrad said:

It's actually tougher than usual to figure out.  Before it is the number of games remaining (4) and add 1, then you subtract the loss difference between the 1st place and the 2nd place (Nebr 11, Mich 14).  Therefore, it would be 4 + 1 - 3 = 2.

I guess it is only tougher in case of a tie.  A tie would be the magic number of 1.  However, Michigan plays 1 more game than us, so if we finish with a tie in the loss column, Michigan wins the conference.

18 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I believe the magic number is 2... 

That's right. Assuming all remaining games are played.

Nebraska winning 2, while the other three remaining teams in the hunt winning out would be:

69.8% - Nebraska

68.9% - Michigan

67.4% - Indiana

65.9% - Maryland

* Of course these results aren't reality as NU plays Michigan, Indiana plays Maryland, and Michigan plays Maryland. But all matchup results aside, it's currently 2.

I believe the magic number is 2... 

The good news is, and correct me if I’m wrong, but if we beat Michigan just once in our series with them that counts as both a win for us and a loss for them so that’s your two games right there for the magic number. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NU's magic number with Mich is 2 - so an NU win today AND a Mich loss today would clinch it, or if both of those don't happen today, NU has to win at least 1 vs Mich next week.

NU's magic number with Indiana and Maryland is 1 - so NU can eliminate both of them today with a win vs OSU or 1 win next week. Indy & Md play each other next weekend, so they both need a miracle by winning out, Mich losing to Maryland today, NU losing to OSU today, and having Michigan sweep NU next week. Then they'd tie Michigan.

Basically, NU's game today doesn't mean anything in the league standings, unless Michigan loses to Maryland. Then an NU win clinches it. 

Pretty crazy when you think NU was in 2nd place a week ago Friday & it looked like an extremely tight finish. NU put its foot on the gas with 5 straight wins since last Friday (and 7 straight overall, plus 8 of 9 since getting swept at home by Rutgers) while Indiana was dropping 5 of 6 & Michigan went 3-2.

Edited by throwback

10 minutes ago, throwback said:

NU's magic number with Mich is 2 - so an NU win today AND a Mich loss today would clinch it, or if both of those don't happen today, NU has to win at least 1 vs Mich next week.

NU's magic number with Indiana and Maryland is 1 - so NU can eliminate both of them today with a win vs OSU or 1 win next week. Indy & Md play each other next weekend, so they both need a miracle by winning out, Mich losing to Maryland today, NU losing to OSU today, and having Michigan sweep NU next week. Then they'd tie Michigan.

Basically, NU's game today doesn't mean anything in the league standings, unless Michigan loses to Maryland. Then an NU win clinches it. 

Pretty crazy when you think NU was in 2nd place a week ago Friday & it looked like an extremely tight finish. NU put its foot on the gas with 5 straight wins (and 8 of 9 since getting swept at home by Rutgers) while Indiana was dropping 5 of 6 & Michigan went 3-2.

It is pretty amazing.  I can tell you this— no one is going to want to see us pop up in their regionals 2 line.

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

It is pretty amazing.  I can tell you this— no one is going to want to see us pop up in their regionals 2 line.

Nope, they're not. The way they play, this team is a huge pain in the ass for opponents. Plus they're pretty cocky and good at getting under the opponents' skin. 

Of course, with no non-con games, who knows what'll happen in the NCAAs. But I would not want to play these guys in a regional.

Will be interesting to see how they play things vs Mich. Maybe a few position guys will be getting a day off for a change, they'll give their starting pitchers some shortened pitch counts, etc. Kind of the exact opposite of what happens with a conference tournament.

Of course, as hot as they are, the coaches may want to just not change anything and try to keep the momentum going. It's only 3 games, whereas you could play 5 or 6 in a conf tournament, so I might opt to try to stay hot, while keeping starting pitchers a little shorter than usual, around 70-80 pitches.

By the way, I saw today Coach Childress is out at Texas A&M. Sounds like a mutual parting, although I know it hasn't been a good relationship for a few years now. I'm sure TAM will be going after far bigger fish than Coach Bolt, so doubt there's anything to worry about there.

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

A fricking mazing.

Would love to get a road 1 seed, but I know it won't happen.

Would we rather go to Arkansas as a 2 seed OR take the blue turds with us to a different regional if we had to choose between the two?

You're assuming the bluebirds are making a regional. 😁 They have a bit of work to do.

NU won't complain about playing anyone, but I don't think we want any part of Arkansas. This feels like it might finally be DVH's year to break through. With the way NU is playing in May, someone else deserves to take that bullet. I nominate Michigan.