2022 F Isaac Traudt - Virginia->Creighton

2 hours ago, TheGov21 said:

Someone told me Sharpe said that Hunter may be looking to leave Gonzaga and then I saw last night that someone was saying there was a rumor that Chucky may be leaving Wisconsin.

How fun would it be if all three ended up at Nebraska

1983 Husker football.  I'm pretty sure it was Barry Switzer who called Gill, Rozier and Fryar the Triplets.  It wouldn't suck if we could resurrect that phrase.

5 hours ago, cipsucks said:

What's up with the knee pads?  🙂  Also, that's the first 1 foot jumper I've ever seen.

The knee pads were all the rage for 6'8" guys in 1964.  I think Lauer went to NU for his freshman year but then transferred to Kearney State; Nebraska's 20-5 team in 1966 could have used a 6'8" guy. 

On your second point, I'm pretty sure that wasn't a one foot jumper.  Whatever newspaper that was doctored the photograph to add the lane and the basket so that the readers would know that this was from a basketball game, or something. That was probably a shot from outside 20', I think Lauer liked to play on the perimeter.  Just another bit of fake news from the lying media.

18 hours ago, TheGov21 said:

Someone told me Sharpe said that Hunter may be looking to leave Gonzaga and then I saw last night that someone was saying there was a rumor that Chucky may be leaving Wisconsin.

How fun would it be if all three ended up at Nebraska

I've been a Nebrasketball die hard for a long time, and I can tell you unequivocally....stuff like this doesn't happen to Nebrasketball. 

That said, might as well throw John Tonje into the mix as he would be a nice add and fill a need as well. 

Edited by HuscurAdam

10 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Whatever newspaper that was doctored the photograph to add the lane and the basket so that the readers would know that this was from a basketball game, or something. 

I doubt the photo was altered.  It's more likely that the captain is wrong.   Not unusual for the writer and photographer to be different people?  Maybe just bad recall by the photographer.   Nowadays they sometimes use stock photos that is not actually about the current event.   Maybe it was something like that.   Doctored?  Too much work for a newspaper in the 60's for something like this.  I doubt they had the expertise? 

To me this is most likely is a quick two hand put back off of his own miss.   It could also be the start of a rebound from his own miss. 

As someone who missed a lot of shots as a yute, I am an expert on self followups and repeated misses.  I had excellent rebounding stats(R), computed as N=the number of bunny shots I took times 3.5 which is  the average number of misses & rebounds before I could make it.  Shades of Moses Malone.   My excuse is warped backboards. 

18 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

The knee pads were all the rage for 6'8" guys in 1964.  I think Lauer went to NU for his freshman year but then transferred to Kearney State; Nebraska's 20-5 team in 1966 could have used a 6'8" guy. 

On your second point, I'm pretty sure that wasn't a one foot jumper.  Whatever newspaper that was doctored the photograph to add the lane and the basket so that the readers would know that this was from a basketball game, or something. That was probably a shot from outside 20', I think Lauer liked to play on the perimeter.  Just another bit of fake news from the lying media.

I was curious about the knee pads. I don't remember anyone wearing them in the 60's. Maybe the fifties?  I was joking about the 1 foot jumper.  Small town papers had a reporter who covered the game, took photos and wrote the story.  Someone else wrote the captain 😉 underneath the picture.  Many times, it was messed up.  It happens.  FWIW, my two local papers back in the 60's and 70's did a really good job. York News Times and Hub Foster and the Aurora News Register and Forrest Hosier. 

6 hours ago, REDitus said:

My bad. 

As far as captian vs caption...it sucks getting old.   I would not of made that mistake 5 years ago.  Stuff like that is happening more and more so forgive me. 

In journalism, we call them "cutlines," so this whole thing is a non-starter. Just like Isaac Traudt.

Edited by jayschool

5 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Does anybody else remember that you had two different numbers back in the day?  Home white was even dark away was odd.

Yup, and our coach one time entered the numbers for the home jerseys in the official scorebook, but we were on the road. Correcting the number in the book was a 2-FT technical foul each time a new player entered the game. We started down 7-0 or 8-0 before the opening tip. Good times. 😄 

1 hour ago, throwback said:

Yup, and our coach one time entered the numbers for the home jerseys in the official scorebook, but we were on the road. Correcting the number in the book was a 2-FT technical foul each time a new player entered the game. We started down 7-0 or 8-0 before the opening tip. Good times. 😄 

I believe they changed that rule after that happened a few times to just shoot the technical free throws once instead of for each player.                                

On 3/12/2023 at 5:00 AM, Silverbacked1 said:

Does anybody else remember that you had two different numbers back in the day?  Home white was even dark away was odd.

Why exactly did they do that? Just so it was easier to keep track of home and away during the game, for officials? Suppose that makes sense. Probably easier to quickly see who did what.

18 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Why exactly did they do that? Just so it was easier to keep track of home and away during the game, for officials? Suppose that makes sense. Probably easier to quickly see who did what.

It was simple for refs, coaches, players, and scorekeepers, and probably easier for fans & announcers as well. And all uniform numbers were between 10 and 55, with the second number never being higher than '5' for signaling fouls committed. Recently I saw a youth sporting a jersey with #57, and it made me think the kiddo's an offensive lineman. 😅

Edited by AuroranHusker

3 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Our home whites were even numbers and away greens were odd numbered. Not sure when same number home and away jersey switch was made.