2022 F Isaac Traudt - Virginia->Creighton

4 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

It’s always shocking, regarding Gonzaga, that any recruit wants to play in a pretend league . . . but to each his own.

Pretend league that you rule with an iron fist...get all your games on ESPN and get 1 and 2 seeds in the tournament every year.

For some folks, being the big fish in a little pond is the perfect fit.

22 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Based on something or just that it is Gonzaga?

No inside info. I’ve been following his recruitment closely for the last two years and have probably read/watched every interview he’s done. Gonzaga checks all the boxes of what he’s looking for (unlike most of the other blue bloods that have offered him). Has a good relationship with the coaches (seems like he’s just been waiting for them to offer) and they play a style that fits his game. In a recent interview, he said if they offered this summer “I’ll definitely take an official visit there.” He wants to commit in September/October. 
I think what separates Gonzaga the most is the types of players they have been putting in the NBA recently. Traudt fits the mold of those players to a tee. Versatile, skilled big men like Olynyk, Tillie, Collins, Sabonis, Wiltjer. Holmgren and Timme are next, and they’ll both likely be gone after this coming season. He’d have a good opportunity to start as a freshman there. 

I’ve always thought Nebraska had a real shot at landing Traudt, even after KU, UNC, Virginia, Michigan St, etc offered. But I was holding out hope that Gonzaga wouldn’t offer. 

6 hours ago, Swan88 said:

And everyone puts an asterisk by that seed (saying, “but they play in a pretend league”) . . . and then they get blown out in the NCAA finals, after going into overtime with a play-in team.  And everyone is focused, once again, on that asterisk.

They have made two NCAA championship finals in the last 5 years and people are still doubting Gonzaga? I really don't get it

45 minutes ago, Go Big Fred said:

They have made two NCAA championship finals in the last 5 years and people are still doubting Gonzaga? I really don't get it

Exactly.  It’s rather foolish to diminish what they’ve done.  I don’t care what conference they are in.   They are a national power and in a class with the elite.   

Gonzaga is certainly a good team.  No one is suggesting otherwise.  
But, they have significant negatives.  In addition to playing against mediocre competition in a pretend conference as their regular fare (“have to play the best to be the best”), they are likely to also be net losers in conference realignment.

12 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Gonzaga is certainly a good team.  No one is suggesting otherwise.  
But, they have significant negatives.  In addition to playing against mediocre competition in a pretend conference as their regular fare (“have to play the best to be the best”), they are likely to also be net losers in conference realignment.

Also, Spokane is a really dirty city.  Drug addiction in that town is off the charts and very much in the public eye, not just hidden away in the "bad" parts of town.  I think Spokane would be an uncomfortable cultural fit for the Traudt family.  This may actually be a situation where the city of Lincoln is more desirable than the alternative, and then there is the distance dynamic on top of that.  

Gonzaga does offer an elite basketball experience, and perhaps is a good academic fit also (no idea what Isaac plans on majoring in).  But as for location?  Spokane is an eye-opening place for a small town Midwestern kid.  And not in a good way.  

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Also, Spokane is a really dirty city.  Drug addiction in that town is off the charts and very much in the public eye, not just hidden away in the "bad" parts of town.  I think Spokane would be an uncomfortable cultural fit for the Traudt family.  This may actually be a situation where the city of Lincoln is more desirable than the alternative, and then there is the distance dynamic on top of that.  

Gonzaga does offer an elite basketball experience, and perhaps is a good academic fit also (no idea what Isaac plans on majoring in).  But as for location?  Spokane is an eye-opening place for a small town Midwestern kid.  And not in a good way.  

I visited once in November 2000 and thought it was nice and it reminded me of Lincoln. I am surprised to hear this. Did something change significantly in the last 20 years?

10 hours ago, BugeaterZ said:

I visited once in November 2000 and thought it was nice and it reminded me of Lincoln. I am surprised to hear this. Did something change significantly in the last 20 years?

I don't know what it was like 20 years ago, but it is an absolute dumpster fire of a city now.  My wife's got some family that just moved out there, and we visited Spokane for the first time last month.  I saw guys shooting up on the side of an interstate frontage road.  I had a tweaker jump out in front of our car on a different street.  I saw needles and human defecation in a city park.  My father-in-law visited the same family member two weeks later, and while waiting for dinner he saw a woman giving a guy a blowjob on the riverwalk.  

Now granted, all major cities have their blights.  But all of these sighting were in the touristy areas and during the day or early evening.  It's not like I was going to the seedy parts of town at 2am.  Other than Detroit, Spokane is the dirtiest city I've been to.  

On 8/16/2021 at 11:35 PM, aphilso1 said:

I don't know what it was like 20 years ago, but it is an absolute dumpster fire of a city now.  My wife's got some family that just moved out there, and we visited Spokane for the first time last month.  I saw guys shooting up on the side of an interstate frontage road.  I had a tweaker jump out in front of our car on a different street.  I saw needles and human defecation in a city park.  My father-in-law visited the same family member two weeks later, and while waiting for dinner he saw a woman giving a guy a blowjob on the riverwalk.  

Now granted, all major cities have their blights.  But all of these sighting were in the touristy areas and during the day or early evening.  It's not like I was going to the seedy parts of town at 2am.  Other than Detroit, Spokane is the dirtiest city I've been to.  

Wow, never expected to hear this.  Probably spillover from the east part of the state.  No wonder the west wants to become Idaho.   Thanks for the enlightening me as I always wondered if Spokane would be a good place to live.   Did a search and found this link.

https://www.northpointwashington.com/blog/12-surprising-addiction-facts-spokane-washington/

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/jul/20/drug-overdose-deaths-on-record-pace/

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2019/08/30/curing-spokane-look-drug-addiction-crime-city-n276315

Edited by REDitus

2 hours ago, REDitus said:

Wow, never expected to hear this.  Probably spillover from the east part of the state.  No wonder the west wants to become Idaho.   Thanks for the enlightening me as I always wondered if Spokane would be a good place to live.   Did a search and found this link.

https://www.northpointwashington.com/blog/12-surprising-addiction-facts-spokane-washington/

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/jul/20/drug-overdose-deaths-on-record-pace/

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2019/08/30/curing-spokane-look-drug-addiction-crime-city-n276315

I expected to hear it.