2022 F Isaac Traudt - Virginia->Creighton

18 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:

Maybe its just me but Virginia seems like a forgotten about program that's really good that nobody talks about. A kid going from Nebraska to play in Virginia is pretty random too.

It might be rare for a kid from Nebraska to go to Virginia, but I don’t think it would be random for a kid being recruited by a great program to then commit to said program. 

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Virginia is an oddity.  I've never heard a kid say "I really want to play for a school that runs a slow, plodding offense and forces me to expend 75% of my energy on the defensive end of the floor."  And yet they get more than their fair share of guys who would thrive in an up-tempo offense, but then teach them to buckle down on D and play efficient offense.  

Or, you might consider this:  Every Virginia player since 2014, under Coach Bennett, who was a full time starter in the backcourt/wing for a year or more, has earned a spot on an NBA roster when they left.  For London Perrantes, it was barely long enough to get a cup of coffee, but, coming out of high school, I don't think anyone thought he'd be an NBA player.

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Virginia is an oddity.  I've never heard a kid say "I really want to play for a school that runs a slow, plodding offense and forces me to expend 75% of my energy on the defensive end of the floor."  And yet they get more than their fair share of guys who would thrive in an up-tempo offense, but then teach them to buckle down on D and play efficient offense.  

It is strange. Tony Bennett is such a likeable guy, it’s easy to see why people are drawn to him. His dad is one of my favorite basketball coaches of all time. Other than Dean Smith, I can’t think of anyone else who developed offensive AND defensive systems that teams at all levels, all around the country adopted. Principles from his original packline defense are just ingrained into the way man-to-man defense is played today. 

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

It is strange. Tony Bennett is such a likeable guy, it’s easy to see why people are drawn to him. His dad is one of my favorite basketball coaches of all time. Other than Dean Smith, I can’t think of anyone else who developed offensive AND defensive systems that teams at all levels, all around the country adopted. Principles from his original packline defense are just ingrained into the way man-to-man defense is played today. 

I think his interest in Virginia has less to do with basketball than it has to do with shared values between Tony Bennett and the Traudt family.  It doesn't hurt that UVA is a successful basketball program, but I don't think that is the primary reason for them being one of his top options. 

On 6/14/2021 at 8:04 PM, HuscurAdam said:

I think his interest in Virginia has less to do with basketball than it has to do with shared values between Tony Bennett and the Traudt family.  It doesn't hurt that UVA is a successful basketball program, but I don't think that is the primary reason for them being one of his top options. 

I imagine that that might be a significant factor should Isaac Traudt pick Virginia, but I also believe it will be due to the bigger picture.  Aside from Coach Bennett's principles and faith, there is also his winning record of 295-103 overall at UVa (.741).  However, since 2014 (the first year the roster was entirely recruited by Coach Bennett and his staff), the record is 219-50 (.814), and Virginia has finished outright first in the ACC four times and tied for first (with UNC) once.  During that time, UVa has not finished behind Duke once in the conference standings.  They tied twice.  Virginia has also won the ACC Men's Tournament twice.  During much of this time, Virginia was competing with four HOF coaches (Krzyzewski, Williams, Pitino, & Boeheim), and Coach Bennett has a better overall record than any of them during this stretch.  Then, there are UVa's academics (which Traudt has stated appeal to him), the basketball facilities which compare favorably with any,  Charlottesville is a pretty nice college town, and the Grounds are just a tad short of spectacular.  It's a big package.  I think that Coach Bennett's faith is a huge component of that package, but I think that Virginia's attraction for Traudt goes a bit beyond that.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Has a high school recruit ever said anything negative about an official visit? Just wondering. It would be refreshing if someone would someday say something like the "the staff were smarmy and the team returning for next year seemed like a bunch of egotistical jerks."

Caught a couple of the recruiting guys on the radio last week - they were talking football, but brought up this exact topic. They laughed and said it's never happened. They usually get the true story off the record from the coaches later.

They said they interviewed one kid who NU coaches kicked out of the official visit because of something the kid shouldn't have done, and the kid still tells all the recruiting services how great the visit went.

Another time the mom was such a pain in the ass that the coaches pulled the kid's scholarship offer when they were leaving. Kid reported an amazing visit. 

So to answer your question, no. 😁

• 2 weeks later...

This seems like it is going to be a bit of a kick in the nuts.  He just got a little bit too good I am afraid.  But this staff has shown ability to surprise me before.  Let's have it happen one more time.   I also like the fact that our coaches are a class act through and through.  You never know when elite guys like this will want to transfer.  

25 minutes ago, royalfan said:

This seems like it is going to be a bit of a kick in the nuts.  He just got a little bit too good I am afraid.  But this staff has shown ability to surprise me before.  Let's have it happen one more time.   I also like the fact that our coaches are a class act through and through.  You never know when elite guys like this will want to transfer.  

This is where I’m feeling. Just have to see if the close Hoiberg bond wins in the end.

48 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:

Dont think we are getting this one

Everyone who makes a prediction on this, either way, should disclose whether they, (i) have inside information, or (ii) are guessing, like everyone else.  A guess given confidently is still unreliable.

Edited by Swan88

5 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Everyone who makes a prediction on this, either way, should disclose whether they, (i) have inside information, or (ii) are guessing, like everyone else.  A guess given confidently is still unreliable.

You're right. Sorry I'm guessing here but Texas and KU are the big dogs if Self comes calling I dont see how you turn him down. Beard is probably the most underrated coach in the country and that Texas team is DEEP. I think they will be the new Baylor, NOVA, UVA.

This of course is no knock on us or the job Hoiberg has done recruiting. That speaks for itself. 

9 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

You're right. Sorry I'm guessing here but Texas and KU are the big dogs if Self comes calling I dont see how you turn him down. Beard is probably the most underrated coach in the country and that Texas team is DEEP. I think they will be the new Baylor, NOVA, UVA.

This of course is no knock on us or the job Hoiberg has done recruiting. That speaks for itself. 

UNC, Virginia and Michigan State are "big dogs" as well and they've been heavily recruiting him for months. Also Wisconsin, Purdue, Ohio State, Oregon, etc..  Don't be surprised if Duke and Gonzaga offer this summer. A 247 analyst evaluated Traudt last week at a tournament and said he was a top 4 PF in the country, and possibly the best PF in the country. I think he'll end up a 5-star before it's all said and done. 

Having said all that, based on Traudt's comments, he seems to really value relationships with the coaching staff and Hoiberg has been recruiting him longer than anyone else. We know his family would like him to stay closer to home. 

He seems to have a strong relationship with Tony Bennett and Virginia's staff but, also based off his comments, the style of system he describes he wants to play in doesn't fit what Virginia does offensively. 

And... He was the first Husker recruit or player Nate Loenser followed on Twitter... Traudt followed Ramel Lloyd Jr. on Twitter... And Traudt and Jasen Green have talked about playing together in college. 

I believe Nebraska has a legitimate chance at getting Traudt. Cross your fingers and hope that Gonzaga doesn't offer soon. They've been recruiting him for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger yet. "If they offer in July, I will definitely take an official there."  He fits right in with their recent lineage of versatile NBA caliber bigs.  Timme, Holmgren, Zach Collins, Olynyk, Sabonis, Tillie. Timme and Holmgren will likely be gone after next season and they'll need another one. 

Traudt plans on committing in September/October, so we'll know pretty soon...

On 7/21/2021 at 8:32 AM, Huskerpapa said:

I will accept a number of arguments as to why he may not come here, the one that would really pis# me off would be that he is too good for us.  That sure isn't stopping all the bnb other four and five stars coming our way.

You might want to mentally prepare yourself to be pissed then.  That is exactly the reason he would not end up here.  He got too good, and the big dogs came calling.