2022 F Isaac Traudt - Virginia->Creighton

Sautter has a piece on Traudt in the OWH this morning - I'll save everyone the trouble of reading it.

1. He's hearing from a ton of top schools, but still waiting for more offers
  2. He'd be a great fit for the bluebird system (never heard that one before)
  3. NU is not mentioned among the schools actively recruiting him - was only mentioned as having offered him

https://omaha.com/sports/high-school/recruiting/grand-islands-isaac-traudt-is-starting-to-get-attention-from-college-basketballs-elite-programs/article_4a442f42-2dbf-5772-a917-8c73c81e2f1a.html

Sautter was on the radio last week and said the same thing - he'd be great fit for bluebird system. And then Sautter basically ridiculed Hoiberg for only going to watch Traudt in GI last year because they happened to be playing Pius. 

Not sure how much faith to put in the opinion of someone who clearly wants to see Traudt as a bluebird, but, reading between the lines in Traudt's direct quotes, it'd be a huge long shot if he ends up in Lincoln.

Based on this, we probably won't even make his final 12 list. (Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll put out a Top 24 list, so we can see an N on it.)

15 minutes ago, throwback said:

Sautter has a piece on Traudt in the OWH this morning - I'll save everyone the trouble of reading it.

3. NU is not mentioned among the schools actively recruiting him - was only mentioned as having offered him

https://omaha.com/sports/high-school/recruiting/grand-islands-isaac-traudt-is-starting-to-get-attention-from-college-basketballs-elite-programs/article_4a442f42-2dbf-5772-a917-8c73c81e2f1a.html

Sautter was on the radio last week and said the same thing - he'd be great fit for bluebird system. And then Sautter basically ridiculed Hoiberg for only going to watch Traudt in GI last year because they happened to be playing Pius. 

Not sure how much faith to put in the opinion of someone who clearly wants to see Traudt as a bluebird, but, reading between the lines in Traudt's direct quotes, it'd be a huge long shot if he ends up in Lincoln.

Based on this, we probably won't even make his final 12 list. (Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll put out a Top 24 list, so we can see an N on it.)

I wonder how much of a relationship he has with Wes Wilkinson? It's not like they are close in age, but it looks like Wes has gone back and at least had some interaction with him. Maybe if they develop some type of mentor type relationship that can help Nebraska's cause.

1 hour ago, throwback said:

The OWH pushing the bluebird agenda and hammering things in Lincoln.  Shocked I tell you.  

12 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I wouldn't say Sautter is real invested either way and I guess you'd have to question how hard we're recruiting the state in general. Until we start putting together some success and/or not flipping the entire roster most years it's probably going to be a hard sell.

Sautter being invested one way or another is bad for business. He has good relationships with all three D-I schools in the state. I can guarantee you he isn't "someone who clearly wants to see Traudt as a bluebird." His job is to gather info, interview recruits and paint the picture of kids' recruitment. 

On 9/29/2020 at 11:10 AM, Jacob Padilla said:

Sautter being invested one way or another is bad for business. 

Agreed.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:10 AM, Jacob Padilla said:

His job is to gather info, interview recruits and paint the picture of kids' recruitment. 

Some people are better at their jobs than others.

Two things here matter more than anything else. Relationships and results. Like it or not, it’s clearly been evidenced through Sallis and Traudt’s recruitment that Crouton’s staff has better relationships with the in state kids. McDermott’s been here longer so that shouldn’t shock anybody. Secondly, you can sell Fred Hoiberg the Coach all you want to, but as of now there aren’t any Fred Hoiberg at Nebraska that’s sellable. At the end of the day winning is the best medicine.

4 hours ago, The God of Thunder said:

Two things here matter more than anything else. Relationships and results. Like it or not, it’s clearly been evidenced through Sallis and Traudt’s recruitment that Crouton’s staff has better relationships with the in state kids. McDermott’s been here longer so that shouldn’t shock anybody. Secondly, you can sell Fred Hoiberg the Coach all you want to, but as of now there aren’t any Fred Hoiberg at Nebraska that’s sellable. At the end of the day winning is the best medicine.

Sallis and Traudt aren't coming here.  While I agree that Creighton has a better relationship with both does that really matter much if they don't end up there either?

Sallis and Traudt aren't coming here.  While I agree that Creighton has a better relationship with both does that really matter much if they don't end up there either?

When you’re paying someone almost $400,000 dollars a year to recruit and only recruit and you can’t even be on the radar of kids from your own state when the other Power Conference school in the state can have relationships with those same kids, and be in the discussion, then yes it matters.

7 hours ago, The God of Thunder said:

When you’re paying someone almost $400,000 dollars a year to recruit and only recruit and you can’t even be on the radar of kids from your own state when the other Power Conference school in the state can have relationships with those same kids, and be in the discussion, then yes it matters.

Like I said earlier, winning some games would go a long way here and the timing isn't great.  If Sallis is in the class of 2019, does he end up at what looks like a stable/up and coming Nebraska? Was Traudt ever going to go to an instate school once his recruiting blew up?  We're paying a guy a bunch of money to land recruits, not for the number of Tipton edits our school appears on.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Like I said earlier, winning some games would go a long way here and the timing isn't great.  If Sallis is in the class of 2019, does he end up at what looks like a stable/up and coming Nebraska? Was Traudt ever going to go to an instate school once his recruiting blew up?  We're paying a guy a bunch of money to land recruits, not for the number of Tipton edits our school appears on.

How do you win games in the B1G without great players?  You can't just willy nilly say "we have to win games before we can get the recruits."  You can't win games without the players. 

The recruits must come first.  We saw this last year.  Even the great basketball mind of Fred Hoiberg was absolutely destroyed in the B1G because he didn't have the horses.  You gotta get the Jimmys and the Joes to get the wins. 

And yes, Hoiberg and Matt and even Doc should be busting their butts for these Nebraska recruits.  Are you really suggesting NU, with Fred Hoiberg as HC, should just drop its head, kick the dirt, and moan "woe is me" and think we have no chance of landing a kid out of Grand Island?  I don't care if the odds are slim of getting them, they need to burn up the phones and zoom with the players and coaches and families and everyone else in their teams.  Even if they don't land them, they will build some goodwill in this state which is sorely lacking right now.  Nebraska is finally producing some big time players and Nebraska hasn't landed any of them.  Danny got the best players and locked up the state.  Fred and staff need to put on the work, there no excuse to not do so.

We just got a commitment from the highest rated HS recruit we have got to Nebraska since these recruiting sites have existed and people are damning the coaches because they aren't able to land players we want.  I honestly can't believe people that follow this team as religiously as they do haven't seen how big of a dumpster fire things have been and how they are starting to slowly turn.  We have sadly had late flips to guys we thought we were getting but they are 4 star top 100 guys that we are starting to get after.  We are getting some stellar transfers now that were top 100 and 4 star guys.  We will start to win these recruiting battles more once these start playing and winning for us.  Its not going to be overnight no matter how much people claim it can be done in basketball because its Nebrasketball. 

13 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

We just got a commitment from the highest rated HS recruit we have got to Nebraska since these recruiting sites have existed and people are damning the coaches because they aren't able to land players we want.  I honestly can't believe people that follow this team as religiously as they do haven't seen how big of a dumpster fire things have been and how they are starting to slowly turn.  We have sadly had late flips to guys we thought we were getting but they are 4 star top 100 guys that we are starting to get after.  We are getting some stellar transfers now that were top 100 and 4 star guys.  We will start to win these recruiting battles more once these start playing and winning for us.  Its not going to be overnight no matter how much people claim it can be done in basketball because its Nebrasketball. 

What site are you basing Wilhelm being the highest rated HS recruit Nebraska has ever landed since these sites have existed? I'm seeing he's a 3 star on Rivals and a 4 star on 247 (but only an 89 rating on the regular 247 rating).

9 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

What site are you basing Wilhelm being the highest rated HS recruit Nebraska has ever landed since these sites have existed? I'm seeing he's a 3 star on Rivals and a 4 star on 247 (but only an 89 rating on the regular 247 rating).

ESPN has him as #53 on their rankings

ESPN 100 senior Wilhelm Breidenbach just committed to Nebraska. No. 53-ranked player in 2021 -- first top-100 high school recruit of the Fred Hoiberg era in Lincoln.

Good nugget from : Wilhelm Breidenbach is the fourth ESPN 100 prospect to commit to Fred Hoiberg. The previous three -- Georges Niang, Monte Morris, Matt Thomas -- are all in the NBA.
Edited by TheKamdyMan

10 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

How do you win games in the B1G without great players?  You can't just willy nilly say "we have to win games before we can get the recruits."  You can't win games without the players. 

The recruits must come first.  We saw this last year.  Even the great basketball mind of Fred Hoiberg was absolutely destroyed in the B1G because he didn't have the horses.  You gotta get the Jimmys and the Joes to get the wins. 

And yes, Hoiberg and Matt and even Doc should be busting their butts for these Nebraska recruits.  Are you really suggesting NU, with Fred Hoiberg as HC, should just drop its head, kick the dirt, and moan "woe is me" and think we have no chance of landing a kid out of Grand Island?  I don't care if the odds are slim of getting them, they need to burn up the phones and zoom with the players and coaches and families and everyone else in their teams.  Even if they don't land them, they will build some goodwill in this state which is sorely lacking right now.  Nebraska is finally producing some big time players and Nebraska hasn't landed any of them.  Danny got the best players and locked up the state.  Fred and staff need to put on the work, there no excuse to not do so.

We just landed a recruit that recruiting people have on the level of Traudt so we're getting "Jimmys and Joes".  My point is that it's not a good use of our time to recruit a guy that isn't going to end up because it means we're spending less time on someone who will. And it's not like we haven't recruited either of these Nebraska guys either. We'll see if that might come into play one day should they end up transferring from wherever they commit.

There was talent last year but in hindsight guys like Dachon Burke and Jervay Green would be better suited in Miles' dribble drive offense and Cam Mack without anyone on the active roster to provide a higher level of play and leadership was a disaster. We need the type of talent that can operate what Hoiberg wants to run at a high level and it seems like we're heading that way.