Is today D-Day for Husker Hoops?

Wasn't today the day they were going to begin workouts? I could be wrong on that. Haven't seen an Twitter chatter.

So, I was going to do this as a poll, but I'd rather have more of a conversation.

That said, of all the players, who ya lookin' most forward to seeing, why, and what is it you want to see from them?

Probably Walker & Stevenson.  Hopefully they can help shore up defensive rebounding.  Opposing teams had so many multiple shot possessions last year.

Also, generally speaking, hopefully a couple of guys can step up and be, at the least, serviceable shooters.  Although I think the team will be better (hard not to be) from a competitive standpoint, if there aren't any consistent shooters that emerge, it's going to be another long season.

2 hours ago, busticket said:

Tough question.  I’d have to go with Teddy Allen as well.  We have lots of areas we need help but in hoops an elite scorer can carry you, ala Buddy Hield.  Having a go-to guy would help immensely.

Be careful...people from, uh, opposing fan bases will read that and think we're all going around saying Teddy is the next Buddy Hield!

Dalano Banton. I thought he was our best player in Europe last summer. Also thought he was our best rebounder and had a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

I’ll never forget watching Shawn Livingston play when he was in high school. He was a 6’7” pure point guard with elite court vision and feel for the game. Banton seems to have a little of that.

On 6/8/2020 at 9:35 PM, millerhusker said:

Dalano Banton. I thought he was our best player in Europe last summer. Also thought he was our best rebounder and had a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

I’ll never forget watching Shawn Livingston play when he was in high school. He was a 6’7” pure point guard with elite court vision and feel for the game. Banton seems to have a little of that.

Very much agree with the Livingston comparison.  I'm also most excited about Banton.  He's a different cat.  I'm interested in position fluidity with these athletes in general this season.   

13 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I am gonna go with Yvan. I am not ready to proclaim his ceiling as low as some believe. If he gained some finishing moves and a little more explosiveness at the rim he could make a decent sophomore jump. Man I hope those photos of his weight loss means a lot more lean mass 😀

I agree he could make a huge jump. Part of what he needs to develop, though, is his hands.

Dalano and Teddy in a toss-up. It will be interesting to see how much the ball is in Dalano's hands, and whether he can shoot it well enough to keep the defense honest. As for Teddy, I watched him play many times in high school. He had tons of talent and was a man among boys playing at a C-1 school, but I have to admit I'm a bit surprised at how much his game blossomed in college. My hope is that he will be a guy who can get you buckets in a variety of ways, as well as find ways to get to the foul line. We need to have a flat out scorer who can end the dreaded scoring droughts we always seem to experience. Both he and Dalano add length (and Teddy has an Adrian Dantley like body as well), so we will have more size in defending and rebounding. I just hope we get a chance to see a full panoply of games this season. I realize the Dantley reference ages me quite a bit.  

Edited by Coaches kid
typo

21 hours ago, busticket said:

Adrian dantley was one of the craftiest scorers in the paint I have ever seen.  He wasn’t big or quick....dude just scored.  I hope Teddy has some of that!

I know it is bad form to quote yourself, but since I am dying for anything sports related I had to check my memory on Dantley.  He was only 6’5”, shot 17% from 3 for his career and yet led the NBA in scoring twice and averaged 24 ppg for his career.  

To drift back on topic, I watched some Delano videos recently from his highschool days and he has some serious handles and athleticism for his height.  He really made dunking look effortless.  I am curious to see what improvements he has made during his sit out year, specifically his perimeter shooting. Anyone hearing anything?

I'm going with Allen.  I think he will lead the team in scoring.   Banton is intriguing.  Problem is I haven't seen him in live action. 

Bernard Day was a forward for Nebraska that really played well in the paint.  He was crafty too and kind of reminded me a tiny bit of Dantley.    Dantley though was really really good.   Great rebounder too for his size.