OT: NBA Restart

khoock

*FOR OUR NBA FANS*

The NBA's plan for a restart should be getting announced within the next week (NHL just released theirs). I wanted to share my favorite restart template and invite the boards avid NBA fans to to share their thoughts.

Here is my favorite template:

- Do not restart regular season or attempt to finish any games from regular season

- Take the top 20 teams and rank them 1-20 based off of what the record was when the hiatus began. These 20 teams advance to the post season. Twenty teams makes it so the teams that were just outside the playoffs but still in the hunt are included (since they wont get a chance bc of the last 20ish regular season games are being canceled). This also means the bottom ten teams can focus on the off season since they had no realistic chance of making the playoffs anyway

- From here take your top 20 teams, once again ranked from 1-20 based off record at date of hiatus, and snake draft them into four groups of five teams each. Conference affiliation will be disregarded

- The playoffs will begin with group play. Each team will play every team in their group twice (8 games total for every team)

- The top two teams from each group, based off of group play record, move on to what would be the quarterfinals. The remaining three teams from each group are eliminated

- Quarters, semis, and finals would all be best of 7

Once you have your particpants for the quarterfinals, you have two options on how to conduct them:

1. Reseed the quarterfinals. The top two teams each group get seeded based off of their regular season records. The playoffs continue from there. This ensures that the #1 seed still has an advantage earned from being the #1 seed, which is an easier path.

2. Soccer style quarterfinals. Have preset quarter final matchups regardless of how group play turns out. Ex --> Group 1 winner v. Group 4 runner up. 

Option 1 has the best odds of ensuring that the NBA finals is a matchup of the top two teams, regardless of whatever crazy upsets happen in group play. This is probably what they want in order to maximize ratings and revenue.

Option 2 allows for more of a Cinderella run as its possible an unlikely team wins its group and paired against a lesser second place in a predetermined matchup. Resulting in one of those two teams advancing all the way to the semis atleast.

Here is how it would look:

1. Milwaukee Bucks

2. LA Lakers

3. Toronto Raptors

4. LA Clippers

5. Boston Celtics

6. Denver Nuggets

7. Utah Jazz

8. Miami Heat

9. OKC Thunder

10. Houston Rockets

11. Indiana Pacers

12. Philadelphia 76ers

13. Dallas Mavericks

14. Memphis Grizzlies

15. Brooklyn Nets

16. Orlando Magic

17. Portland Trailblazers 

18. Sacramento Kings

19. New Orleans Pelicans

20. San Antonio Spurs

G1: Bucks, Heat, Thunder, Magic, Blazers

G2: Lakers, Jazz, Rockets, Nets, Kings

G3: Raptors, Nuggets, Pacers, Grizzlies, Pelicans

G4: Clippers, Celtics, 76ers, Mavericks, Spurs

Each group plays double round robin within their group. Top two teams from each group advance to the the quarters.

Edited by khoock

From there, I prefer the World Cup Knockout Round format for the quarters. With this, you preset the quarter finals and let the chips fall where they may.

G1 Winner v. G2 Runnerup

G4 Winner v. G3 Runnerup

G3 Winner v. G4 Runnerup

G2 Winner v. G1 Runnerup

For example, lets say the group stage goes chalk (which obviously wouldnt really happen), here are your quarterfinal matchups:

- Bucks v. Jazz

- Clippers v. Nuggets

- Raptors v. Celtics

- Lakers v. Heat

Alright, thats all i got. Hopefully you enjoyed my posts. Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas. I love talking NBA!!!

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

so...just about a month to do this?

Im hearing July 21st-ish for the start of games and, early on, NBA officials have said they would like to be finishing up the week of labor day (if thats since changed idk).

Since you are completley eliminating travel, im sure the games will be more condensed. Which means teams are probably playing every other day. Maybe even some back to backs.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Let’s just have the Bucks play the Lakers in a traditional 2-3-2 format & call it “good”!

No way. I have to completely disagree. After four years of LeBron-Warriors im overly excited for an NBA Playoffs with multiple contenders. 

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

No way. I have to completely disagree. After four years of LeBron-Warriors im overly excited for an NBA Playoffs with multiple contenders. 

We’ll see, I DO appreciate the work you put into that elaborate format. Time is of the essence though, they’ll have to consider the beginning of NEXT season while trying to wrap this one up.

July 31st is the hopeful restart date. A little later than what I was hoping for. There will be a vote amongst league owners on Thursday for Adam Silver to get therir input on how to to restart. A final decision should be coming soon after.

The general managers voted on the restart model and prefered a play-in round over group stages (75%-25%). This shouldnt really be a shocker as GMs have more of a stake in how the team performs. If im the Bucks, Lakers, or any other high seed obviously I want to play the Magic-Grizzilies in the first round and only them compared to being grouped with four other teams of ranging ability.

The owners vote will prob be based more on whichever model will be more lucrative for them.

There’s speculation that this delayed start is REALLY in an effort to change the League start permanently to Christmas day. This is just people talking, (like Charles Barkley) who feels competing with College/NFL football has become a lost cause. For Basketball fans like us, that seems like kookie talk, but yer “casual” sports fan doesn’t tune in until Xmas so we’ll see...

Looks like the NBA has zeroed in on the template they would like to use to restart there season. This will be voted on by team owners tomorrow and is expected to pass.

They will be bringing back 22 teams. All 16 teams currently in the playoff field plus any team that is within 6 games of the eight seed. That equates to one team from the East (Washington Wizards) and five teams from the West (New Orleans Pelicans, Portland Trailblazers, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs, and Pheonix Suns).

All 22 teams will play 8 regular season games. The conclusion of those games will finalize the 1-7 seeds in both conferences. If the 8 seed is 3.5 games or more ahead of the 9 seed than their berth is secured. However, if the 9 seed is within 3 games of the 8, a play-in series will be conducted. With the play-in tournament it is double elimination for the 8 seed and single elimination for the 9 seed. 

Very inclusive/creative idea as they are definitely trying give bubble teams opportunity to make up for the loss of the last 20ish regular season games. I fear they are doing too much, given the fragile state we are on with the pandemic. We shall see how it plays out.

Edited by khoock

3 hours ago, khoock said:

Looks like the NBA has zeroed in on the template they would like to use to restart there season. This will be voted on by team owners tomorrow and is expected to pass.

They will be bringing back 22 teams. All 16 teams currently in the playoff field plus any team that is within 6 games of the eight seed. That equates to one team from the East (Washington Wizards) and five teams from the West (New Orleans Pelicans, Portland Trailblazers, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs, and Pheonix Suns).

All 22 teams will play 8 regular season games. The conclusion of those games will finalize the 1-7 seeds in both conferences. If the 8 seed is 3.5 games or more ahead of the 9 seed than their berth is secured. However, if the 9 seed is within 3 games of the 8, a play-in series will be conducted. With the play-in tournament it is double elimination for the 8 seed and single elimination for the 9 seed. 

Very inclusive/creative idea as they are definitely trying give bubble teams opportunity to make up for the loss of the last 20ish regular season games. I fear they are doing too much, given the fragile state we are on with the pandemic. We shall see how it plays out.

All the games in Vegas?

Im so excited! Cant wait. 

There were two other models i preferred but i get what the NBA is trying to do with this one. A lot of teams are close in the standings so those 8 regular season games will be crucial.

Edited by khoock