Think Yvan as slimmed

55 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Yvan was bulky last year. Unless someone photo-shopped that pic to lengthen him out and make him look slimmer, then it's not a function of what color shirt he's wearing and the dude has trimmed down.

Now, has he trimmed down because he's lost weight OR (as I hope is the case) has he trimmed down because he's been growing?

Anyone with kids who've reached puberty or beyond can appreciate what growing does to a young person's body. One day, they're kind of stocky and maybe a bit porky-looking; the next day they're slender and the hem of their pants is halfway up their legs.

That's the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw that picture of Yvan: He looks like one of my kids after they've had a growth spurt.

I was kidding about the shirt color...black is the color which makes you look thinner.  And Yvan definitely appears thinner.  

I am still not convinced he is not already 6’9”...I have seen pictures with him and Delano together and he looked to my eye to be a shade taller.

As far as the video...color me impressed.  Last season Yvan was a below the rim player.  No way he could have done that half a year ago.  He has been putting work, growing or a combination of the two.

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

It would seem that he's dropped 30# from his listed weight of 2019-20

So originally 260 of unconditioned weight transformed to 230 of lean muscle.   Should have added bounce,quickness as well as better conditioning.  Nice!  Good work Yvan.

If he's legitimately down to 230#, I hope he's also legitimately up to 6'9. He was young enough a year ago to still be growing. But the 6'9 PF from Ohio State made him look small. A couple of extra inches of his height added to his frame (with the associated lengthening of his arms) would be a very welcome development.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:33 PM, busticket said:

I was kidding about the shirt color...black is the color which makes you look thinner.  And Yvan definitely appears thinner.  

I am still not convinced he is not already 6’9”...I have seen pictures with him and Delano together and he looked to my eye to be a shade taller.

As far as the video...color me impressed.  Last season Yvan was a below the rim player.  No way he could have done that half a year ago.  He has been putting work, growing or a combination of the two.

Yvan is the same height as Thor. I walked near them during warmups and I was shocked at how not tall he was. Maybe he has grown an inch or two since the season ended.

14 hours ago, bkamler said:

Yvan is the same height as Thor. I walked near them during warmups and I was shocked at how not tall he was. Maybe he has grown an inch or two since the season ended.

Well, from the roster photo, they look pretty close in height (note that either the picture is not taken from a level perspective or that the red line is not level):

image.png

But:

image.png

Thor was definitely not standing flat footed.  Yvan appeared to be.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

3 hours ago, REDitus said:

My observation's over the years has lead me to apply + or minus 2 inches to all roster listings.   

I'm sure I've said this before but I imagine most people haven't seen it: I was at the Ohio State game and had seats close to the floor so I had a good vantage point.

Kaleb Wesson is listed at 6'9 but he was *at least* 2 inches taller than Yvan.

I stopped believing Yvan was anywhere close to 6'9 that night.

I saw that picture and I wasn’t sure what to make of it.  Kavas was supposed to be 6’8” and in the picture he looks an inch taller than Kevin.  We all know Cross was 6’6” max.  I know Thor was cheating in the team pic or our whole roster was roster hight was waaay overstated (versus the normal overstated).  Actually now that I think about it, Cross was already way overstated at 6’8”.    

I just hope Delano is really 6’8” because I think it would be sweet to have a 6’8” facilitator on the court.  Man i hope the season starts on time.  I don’t know how many more topics there are to drill into during this covid-enhanced offseason!

1 hour ago, busticket said:

Also, I am now in the camp of Yvan is 6’7” ish.  Gotta defer to the guys who have seen them up close.

I believe when Yvan popped up on HCFHs radar he was being touted as 6'7 and then magically jumped to 6'9 in a very short period of time. Everybody seemed to be okay with it bc he had just turned 17 so he was very young. Plus our fanbase craves that elusive big man so 6'9 sounds much better than 6'7.

• 3 weeks later...