Eduardo Andre is N

hhcmatt

I hope that fans expectations remain in check for this young man.  He has skills, but he appears to be a project. 

For me, I anticipate a possible redshirt year.  Maybe I will be pleasantly shocked by where his game is at, but my expectations are going to remain low for year one until proven otherwise. 

Edited by Huskerpapa

5 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

We could put a frontline on the floor we haven’t seen (size wise) since ‘91... also imagine Andre & Yvan paired up with Shamiel, DeLano & Teddy! Please let there be a Basketball 🏀 season!

I would substitute Mayen for Yvan.  I believe he is better skilled offensively and a match-up problem for most teams.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

According to his profile on ESPN, Ed is 6'10 and 228#.

According to 24/7, he was the #214 recruit in the nation coming out of Compass Prep

I'm watching CSU vs. SDSU* right now and their starting center, Nathan Mensah, is averaging 10 and 8 on 62% shooting.

According to 24/7, Mensah was the #297 recruit in the nation coming out of Prolific Prep.

And he was 6'10 205# coming out of HS.

According to his ESPN profile, he's 6'10 230# now.

He's the starting center on a team that beat #22 UCLA and #23 ASU.

P.S. AMAZING comeback, by CSU. They were down by 26 and came back, on the road, to take the lead on a 4-point play with 11 seconds left. SDSU fouled out one of their best offensive weapons on the play and went down and missed their shot and had to foul. CSU just hit both FTs to take a 3 pt lead with 2.6 seconds to play and the Aztecs called timeout.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

According to his profile on ESPN, Ed is 6'10 and 228#.

According to 24/7, he was the #214 recruit in the nation coming out of Compass Prep

I'm watching CSU vs. SDSU* right now and their starting center, Nathan Mensah, is averaging 10 and 8 on 62% shooting.

According to 24/7, Mensah was the #297 recruit in the nation coming out of Prolific Prep.

And he was 6'10 205# coming out of HS.

According to his ESPN profile, he's 6'10 230# now.

He's the starting center on a team that beat #22 UCLA and #23 ASU.

P.S. AMAZING comeback, by CSU. They were down by 26 and came back, on the road, to take the lead on a 4-point play with 11 seconds left. SDSU fouled out one of their best offensive weapons on the play and went down and missed their shot and had to foul. CSU just hit both FTs to take a 3 pt lead with 2.6 seconds to play and the Aztecs called timeout.

‘Very funny, I saw that kid and thought he reminds me of Andre. Also FYI the kid that hit that shot is John Tonje from Omaha Central. That kid is a good story, really made himself into a D1 player

UPDATE: CSU won. Biggest comeback in Mountain West history.

The reason I bring up Mensah is that he and Eduardo seem like pretty similar players. Eduardo needs some reps. Getting Covid was a huge setback for him. I'd love to see what he can do when he's fully in playing condition. He's a bit raw right now, but you can see the potential there. He has nice, soft hands. He moves pretty well. He's extremely long and he's fairly athletic.

He's not perfect. He has some rawness to his game. But if he develops his footwork, learns some spin moves, and just gets a feel for the game, I think he has tremendous upside. Ten and eight are not out of the realm of possibility, even as soon as next season. And he'll return as a freshman, which is really cool for him and for us.

If Eduardo is 228# now, as his ESPN profile says, I wouldn't be surprised to see him come in close to 240# next fall. I wish he had Yvan's rebounding determination. I would love to see those two matched up head-to-head in practice. Someone in another thread wondered if Yvan this year would be able to score on Yvan from last year. I'm really curious if Eduardo from this year can score on Yvan from this year.

One thing I liked about the last game is Fred basically let Eduardo foul out and learn what it's like to rack them up.  We never did that with Jordy and it drove me crazy.

Let bigs foul out so they learn how to stop fouling.  

I don't think Eduardo is soft at all, but I don't think he's mean.  That's one thing I love about Yvan.  He's not nice about rebounding or defense.  I wish he could power up to the hoop with the same anger.

Eduardo is already a much better offensive player than Yvan, and his length is going to develop more and more in the PnR with Banton (I hope).  

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good Article:

Eduardo Andre growing his frame and game, with some help from 'Yoda'

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-basketball-Eduardo-Andre-168397817/

There's 20 pounds more of mass to him now, putting him at 238 at the latest scale reveal and in a spirited mood to mash against all those towering foes in the Big Ten this upcoming season.

Grow the frame, grow the game. The latter means a lot of time with Yoda.

"Yoda" is what he calls new Husker assistant Nate Loenser, who didn't get here that many months ago but is already a most trusted source of Andre.

"He just knows a lot of basketball. After every practice, I always watch film with Coach Nate," Andre said. "Pretty much every day I learn something new – like new terminology, where to be on the court, just how to get better really."

Andre feels ready to help spread the floor more, and even shoot some 3s on occasion (he didn't attempt any last season), especially when he can get those looks in the corner. The work with "Yoda" is detailed, including angles of the screens he sets, and where and when to set a back screen or drag screen, and how to roll off those screens for the best shots.

Edited by Red Don

Every summer I've read articles and posts on message boards stating this will be the year, and this time it is really gonna happen for us, and we mean it, and every season starts and ends in disappointment.  So forgive me if I'm just not buying it.   No Kool-Aid being consumed here.

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

Every summer I've read articles and posts on message boards stating this will be the year, and this time it is really gonna happen for us, and we mean it, and every season starts and ends in disappointment.  So forgive me if I'm just not buying it.   No Kool-Aid being consumed here.

Can Andre have yours? He needs the calories.

12 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I've been downing the Kool-Aid.  Don't sleep on Nebraska this year.  This team could be a sleeping giant.

I'm starting to feel the same way.  My biggest dose of pessimism is knowing that a lot of teams are returning more than their normal level of productivity, thanks to the NCAA granting that free year of eligibility to anyone wanting to return to their team.  But other than that, we have checked every box possible this offseason.  Returned key production, developed guys that needed to take a step forward, added high level freshman talent, filled our biggest hole with a proven Power 5 transfer, and filled out our depth chart with high ceiling transfers with four years of eligibility.  If this was any normal year, I would be thinking a top 4-5 finish in conference.

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm starting to feel the same way.  My biggest dose of pessimism is knowing that a lot of teams are returning more than their normal level of productivity, thanks to the NCAA granting that free year of eligibility to anyone wanting to return to their team.  But other than that, we have checked every box possible this offseason.  Returned key production, developed guys that needed to take a step forward, added high level freshman talent, filled our biggest hole with a proven Power 5 transfer, and filled out our depth chart with high ceiling transfers with four years of eligibility.  If this was any normal year, I would be thinking a top 4-5 finish in conference.

Our freshman class is ridiculous:

Oleg -- 7-ft 3-star (sleeper or stiff is yet to be seen)

Eduardo -- 6-10 super freshman

Wilhelm -- 6-9 ESPN top 75 4-star

Keon -- 6-7 super freshman, ESPN top 50 4-star

Bryce -- 6-6 consensus 5-star

CJ -- 6-5 super freshman, Rivals 4-star

Quaran -- 6-4 3-star (Defensive stopper?)

Half of our scholarship roster is composed of freshmen. And, given their talent level, I think they could give the rest of the scholarship players a run for their money. Which is saying something.

Super freshmen are guys who got a free year due to Covid but have the advantage of added experience over regular freshmen. That's what I've decided to call them, anyhow.