2020 C Eduardo Andre - Signed

Figured I look for some game film of Andre.

Arizona Compass is one of those basketball factory prep schools.

Andre doesn't start in this game.  I suspect he doesn't start in most of these games as the entire team is loaded with D-1 players and he's a guy who hasn't played a ton of organized basketball.

Starting lineup for Compass

6-1 Frankie Collins 2021 4 star

6-4 Sincere Parker 2020 lower D-1 prospect

6-4 Ty Ty Washington 2021 4 star

6-7 Maxwell Lewis 2021 4 star 

6-9 Seyree Lewis 2020 Kansas St

Haven't had a chance to watch but was hoping to see what this guy does beyond the dunk highlights.

EA is #11

He comes in just after 12:30 in the video.

He can absolutely run the floor and finish.  He's also very long.  I suspect his wingspan is over 7'.   Had a nice outlet.

Otherwise sort of a mess. Rebounding seems weak. Shotblocking without fouling didn't seem there yet. Setting picks an not understanding how to do it without fouling. He left after playing part of the first period with either 2 or 3 fouls.

Back in at 27:40

Had a nice left-handed drive from the 3pt line though that is his dominant hand. Got a guy to travel with his length. More of the same in terms of weak rebounding and not necessarily understanding what he needs to do.

At the 35:00 mark the coach for the opposing team gets T-ed up twice and then the assistant gets T-ed up twice and they just call the ball game in quarter 2. Some AAU level mickey mouse refereeing there lol.

I'll see if I can flip up some other videos.

I very much understand why we recruited this guy: he has the physical ability to be the rim protecting, fast break running complimentary center that we want.  No idea when or if he develops into that. This would be the one guy in the longest time would consider redshirting if we think he's going to improve.

Thanks, Matt, for the video and directing our attention to when Andre plays!

My general impression is more optimistic.  Here's why:

1. His second quarter performance is stronger than the first quarter -- in fact, I'd call him "dominant" in the second quarter (his +/- in the second quarter is very strong).  But even in the first quarter, he has an immediate impact upon entering the game.

2.  His first two fouls (in the first quarter) are both hustle plays (one for a long rebound and one on a blocked shot) that could have been no-calls -- the third foul is, truly, a bad screen attempt (the announcer groans about "another foul on Andre"). 

3.  In the second quarter, he drives from the right corner and scores on a hook -- the announcer says he traveled (he didn't): it was a foul on another player that waived-off the bucket.

4.  He is very fast down the floor on fast breaks -- once he scores on a high-flying dunk, but he travels another time because the ball is delivered too late.

5.  He passes the ball well -- one long outlet pass is particularly strong and precise.

5.  He splashes both free throws -- really (nothing but the bottom of the net both times)!

6.  He steels an entry pass, playing from behind the post man, with an athletic effort.

7.  His drive from the three point line is athletic and successful.

8.  The video is from 1/4/2020, so he has matured since then (presumably) -- but he certainly looks the part of a strong, athletic big

Long limbs doesn't = clumsy.  The kid is super long and moves really well.  He has good hands to boot.  I don't see the bad rebounder thing at all.  He grabbed quite a few given his minutes, blocked a shot, and forced a steal.  He seems very coachable and plays well within the flow of a game.  I think his size alone could log him some minutes as a backup.  He's quite bit taller and longer than Yvan.  

Part of it is that we haven't seen a true 3* caliber center (a TRUE center) recruited to Nebraska in a very long time.  This kid is legitimately 6'11".  Most of them look slow because their strides are so long.  He covers a ton of ground defensively and his dunk finish on the break was a thing of beauty.  

I highly doubt he redshirts and I'm thrilled we have him.  He's an in-shape Jordy who can be a great rim protector in a limited role.  

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Here is a link for more of AZ Compass Prep's videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS9rv1_x9tz3jH8aOQqFpzQ/search?query=compass

Not sure if they get any run but here is AZ Compass vs Our Saviour Lutheran which has class of 2022 offers (11) Ibine Ayo Sadiku and (24) Silas Sunday

Andre checks in at 9:39 mark

Tries a post move against future Pitt Panther Max Amadasun and is shut down

Had a fancy looking spin move that didn't end well but a lot of hustle to get back and try and make a play on D.

Great pick and roll to the rim, gets owned by Amadasun

Lutheran scores so fast that Andre gets a dunk off a 2 on 1 when they break back.

Pick and roll again, Andre tries to avoid the Amadasun block and travels

Out at the 15:00 mark

19:00 Slias Sunday in to start the 2nd quarter (big dood #24)

Andre back in at 26:11

Steps in front of a pass in a zone and starts the break

towards the end of the half Sunday accidentally clocks Andre in the head. Makes both FTs.

Andre picks up a questionable foul.

End of the first half.

A holy shit dunk by St John's 6'0" PG commit Posh Alexander worth watching at the 55:00 minute mark

Andre back in at 102:20

Gets an over the back foul

Defends against a pick well, steals the ball from a guard. Is able to compose himself when chased down by a wolf and finishes.  Impressive.

Out at 1:09

Watching this video reminds me why I hung up the whistle after 12 years.  Never did AAU but did plenty of high school and it gets tiring having to tell grown men that the 50 bucks they are making that month to coach doesn’t give them the right to be twats to a complete stranger.  All 4 technicals given were to frustrated guys who’s team was getting murdered and decided to make it about themselves.

• 2 months later...