2020 C Eduardo Andre - Signed

At first, I was like, WTF?

But then I watched his film. After watching last season play out, I sure don't mind having an athletic long guy who can be your rim-running shot blocker. He doesn't need a lot of refined post skills at this point.

By the way, this video (below) shows him knocking down a number of 3-pointers. And it's from 2017 when he was 9th grade or so?

This is the most exciting get of the class for me given the situation and team needs. If he is actually 6'10" (which he either is or is pretty athletic) this guy is a rare find and his other offers prove it. Finally someone who can play an nba style offense like Hoiberg wants. I want to see him in the pick and roll 10 times a game next year I'm just disappointed he won't be able to do it with Cam at point guard. And hopefully we can do away with the post ups as well. I don't know what the stats are like in college but I know post ups for anyone expect Joel Embiid are pretty inefficient in today's NBA. And I don't think Ivan or Walker are going to have elite ability in that department by next year. I'm hoping his game is similar to Clint Capela though for that to work well we will still need to have success shooting 3s which I'm still worried about. Watching the 16-17 video he keeps the ball high almost every time and gets the shot off quickly. Also as far as I've seen he has no injury history right? Another thing that often plagues big men.

Edited by cjbowbros

So putting all the info together, it looks like:

1. Sanogo was Plan A.

2. Getting either Wiznitzer or Breidenbach to reclassify to 2020 was Plan B.

3. Eduardo was Plan C.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Breidenbach next year.  I like that kid's game.  

As for Eduardo, I saw someone comment that they thought he was a potential redshirt candidate.  That doesn't seem to be the case though.  Fred clearly was pushing hard to get another big for this year, which tells me he sees that as an immediate need.  

This made my day!  After watching his film, he has decent size, pretty good athleticism and mobility, and like Norm was saying, in his younger film he looked to be a reasonably good outside shooter.  And he is very new to the sport.  The only knock I can see is he is one of those athletes that seemingly glides versus being explosive.  Not a horrible thing, especially when considering it looks like it takes zero effort for him to dunk.   Overall a great get at this stage of the game.

43 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

As for Eduardo, I saw someone comment that they thought he was a potential redshirt candidate.  That doesn't seem to be the case though.  Fred clearly was pushing hard to get another big for this year, which tells me he sees that as an immediate need.  

I really hope this means we can RS Akol Arop. I think it would benefit both Arop and the coaching staff. No inside info here, just my hope.

Anyways, congrats to Eduardo Andre! Excited to see how he fits in with Yvan, Lat, and Derrick.

25 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Happy about this signee. 

So, does Hoiberg still pursue Breidenbach for next year?

the same way we did this year getting 6 new guys when we only a couple seniors. Fred will push out guys to make room for someone better. Breidenbach would do well as a 4 or a 5 in his system so there’s time available. 

45 minutes ago, busticket said:

This made my day!  . . . And he is very new to the sport.  

Here, here!!

As being "very new to the sport," think of it this way:  (i) Yvan played his freshman year in college at 17 years of age, but (ii) Eduardo played his first year of organized basketball at 15 years of age.

55 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Happy about this signee. 

So, does Hoiberg still pursue Breidenbach for next year?

Fred's staff doesn't recruit for the future.  It's a hard idea to get used to, but you just can't bank on developing guys much anymore.  He treats transfers like development/redshirt guys by default when applicable, but he's looking for dudes who can play right now, and the upgrade at each position isn't only on the table, but actively pursued in recruiting year round.  

Considering next season's roster just got better at every single position (I think our PG play will be a lot better than Mack), we can only expect it to continue to improve year to year under Fred's tenure.  It's a smart model.  

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I'm not slamming Andre because I'm happy to have him and many others do the same thing, but why do kids make highlight tapes of wide open dunks?  That is probably the last thing a coach recruiting him would want to see.

You might be generally right but I doubt you would be as impressed with a highlight tape of all Ivan's wide open dunks. Many of them were due to off ball movement that I was impressed by. I've seen plenty of centers at Nebraska who would fumble the ball or take 3 dribbles before they could even make the wide open dunk. And unrelated but the two chase down blocks at the end of that earlier video were incredible, imagine Ivan ever having a real chase down block. Not trying to put down Ivan just saying just because you are a "big man" doesn't mean you can do all the things you are supposed to easily do at that position like dunk.

If he's been playing basketball for 4 seasons and he started playing basketball when he was 15, that would make him 19 now, or a year OLDER than Yvan Ouedraogo.

I can't find his DOB to confirm this, but I found highlights from the 16-17 season, which is 4 seasons ago. And he doesn't look in that video like he *just* started learning the game.

So, is it possible our freshman center will be a year older than our sophomore center?

10 minutes ago, LK1 said:

It absolutely is, and he has good timing on his blocks.  He's not explosive, but he has very long arms and legs.  

Careful that you're not looking at his '16-'17 film when he would have been 15 yrs old. In the newer videos, I've seen him throw it down with relative ease.

I like what I've seen from his hands, so far. He has a soft catch and the ball doesn't bounce off his mitts while he's trying to catch the dish or rebound.

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Would love to see some video him playing in a game and not highlights.

Looks like he can be a rim protector and is comfortable driving from outside of the lane.  He's not going to get a ball past a guard but if he's playing 5 out he can probably drive a ball past a post player.  Not sure if there is an outside shot because all I saw was dunks

For anyone who was thinking he didn't look like an explosive leaper, go to the 2:15 mark of the video above. It looks like he could touch 11 feet with both hands on that dunk.