2021 g/f Eric Van Der Heijden -> Ole Miss

WOW.  He is like an insanely bigger and better version of Thor.  I know it is a highlight film but damn this kid can ball.  If he is a legit 6’9” he has to be a national top 50 player.  I would love to somehow land this kid.

#creightonwetdream 

Edited by busticket

Just a random observation, not directed at Eric VDH: This virtual recruiting on the class of 2021 is going to be interesting to follow.

On the one hand, it seems like a lot of schools are going to end up with Shang Pings on their roster, guys who didn't quite get checked out thoroughly. Some players have been fully scouted already, and it won't matter. But others won't be and teams that need to fill a roster are going to be flying blind on them. 

On the other hand, it may turn out to work about as well as what they did in the past and the new model cuts down on recruiting costs.

I've run out of hands, or I'd mention that Shang is still playing professionally.

Thanks, Chuck, for the Shang Ping reference--didn't realize he had a pro career. 

He actually has a Wiki page, which includes this:

Shang Ping
尚平
Personal information
Born December 23, 1984 (age 35)
Harbin, Heilongjiang, China
Nationality Chinese
Listed height 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)
Listed weight 240 lb (109 kg)
Career information
High school Avondale College
(Auckland, New Zealand)
College
NBA draft 2009 / Undrafted
Playing career 2009–2016
Position Power forward / Center
Career history
2009–2010 Beijing Ducks
2010–2012 Shanxi Brave Dragons
2012–2013 Qingdao Eagles
2013–2014 Panathinaikos
2014–2016 Tianjin Gold Lions
This is a Chinese name; the family name is Shāng.

Shang Ping (Chinese: 尚平 (pronounced Shung);[1] born December 23, 1984), also known as Eric Shang, is a Chinese professional basketball player who most recently played for the Tianjin Gold Lions of the Chinese Basketball Association. He is a 2.06 m (6'9") tall power forward-center, and his nickname is "The Beast".[2] He became the first Chinese player to ever sign with a Euroleague club, when he joined the Greek League team Panathinaikos for the 2013-14 season.

After playing high school basketball at Avondale College in Auckland, New Zealand, Shang played college basketball at Illinois Central Community College from 2005 to 2007, at the University of Nebraska, where he played with the Nebraska Cornhuskers from 2007 to 2008, and at Emporia State University from 2008 to 2009.

Professional career[edit]

Shang began his pro career with the Beijing Ducks of the Chinese Basketball Association in 2009. In 2010, he moved to the Chinese club Shanxi Brave Dragons, and in 2012 he joined the Chinese club Qingdao Eagles, where he was a teammate of Tracy McGrady.

Shang moved to the Greek League club Panathinaikos in 2013, thus becoming the first Chinese player to ever play in a European basketball league.[3][4] He returned to China in 2014 and spent the next two seasons with the Tianjin Gold Lions.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

At times like this, I recall the words of Jimmy V:  "Don't give up; don't EVER give up."

Until that dude signs on the dotted line, it ain't over. Plenty of kids end up signing with schools that didn't make the final 10.

Recruitment in 2020 is never-ending... especially since no on-site visitation is occurring this summer.

• 8 months later...
On 7/1/2020 at 1:01 PM, Norm Peterson said:

At times like this, I recall the words of Jimmy V:  "Don't give up; don't EVER give up."

Until that dude signs on the dotted line, it ain't over. Plenty of kids end up signing with schools that didn't make the final 10.

You May be Prescient @Norm Peterson   :Lol:

2021 G/F, Eric Van Der Heijden, No. Carolina - Offered > Louisville > Decommit

3/20/21: Decommitted from Louisville - Huskers still in the Hunt?

Go Get 'Em Boys!

1616346910677.png

Edited by Red Don

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2021 g/f Eric Van Der Heijden -> Ole Miss