OT Baseball

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

The writers name is Chip Scoggins & he supposedly has some “insider info” AND as he also pointed out, multi millionaire players/owners quibbling over the slice of the pie while half the Country’s out of work, is more than just a “Bad Look”

Given their history I would expect MLB to shoot themselves in the foot again and once again turn people away from the game by their selfish actions.  The players union in baseball is probably the best of all sports unions but I'm not sure it is always looking out for what is best for the game.  

Also, what is the deal with the LA Dodgers.  If LA is shutting down for most of summer like it sounds, where are the Dodgers going to play?

7 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Given their history I would expect MLB to shoot themselves in the foot again and once again turn people away from the game by their selfish actions.  The players union in baseball is probably the best of all sports unions but I'm not sure it is always looking out for what is best for the game.  

Also, what is the deal with the LA Dodgers.  If LA is shutting down for most of summer like it sounds, where are the Dodgers going to play?

If they decide to go with the spring baseball location model, then that takes care of it.

MLS is facing the same thing with LAFC and LA Galaxy. They are proposing to move all games to Orlando to bypass this issue.

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Now there has been a 67 page “protocol manual” laid out for players concerning health issues. No spitting etc., getting down in the weeds on all these details is going to make it nigh impossible to get this season started. I’m more pessimistic than ever... 

The KBO has those same rules in place. But, fully understanding the MLB players association is a whole lot stronger than KBO's.

4 hours ago, royalfan said:

baseball fans just trust me.  Follow Jomboy on twitter.  Great stuff.  (audio off around young folks or work)

I remember watching this live.  I also remember the punishments were ridiculous.  The Reds pitcher starts the fight and the Reds manager goes after the Pirate manager and the Pirates seemed to get more suspensions. 

Nothing like starting the morning with a good brouhaha, or should I say donnybrook? The best basketball one I can remember involved Terry Novak and a KU player named Ken Koenigs (I think), although it was more of a slap fight.  I also remember Jeff Hornacek starting one, but fail to recall who the NU players were other than Chris Logan. And I believe Andre Smith and Carl McPipe once charged into the stands to take on some OSU fans in Stillwater. 

Edited by jimmykc

On this way O.T. thread, I'll share a random fact for the day. In some of my aimless wandering across the web I discovered that I once witnessed the person who is now the oldest living Major League player get three hits in a game. Ed Robinson, who will be 100 in December, played first base for the KC A's in the first ML game I ever attended at the old Municipal stadium in KC. on July 27, 1956. It was an extra inning game won , of course, by the Yankees. Yogi Berra and Moose Scowron homered in the game which also featured Nebraskan Bob Cerv. So I've always got that going for me. 

18 hours ago, royalfan said:

breakdown of zimmer getting attacked by Pedro Martinez. 

You are correct Sir, in my advanced age I had mistakenly “combined” those two incidents. As unfortunate as the Father/Son attack was, I still can’t believe Pedro went after let’s face it, a fat old man.

10 hours ago, jimmykc said:

On this way O.T. thread, I'll share a random fact for the day. In some of my aimless wandering across the web I discovered that I once witnessed the person who is now the oldest living Major League player get three hits in a game. Ed Robinson, who will be 100 in December, played first base for the KC A's in the first ML game I ever attended at the old Municipal stadium in KC. on July 27, 1956. It was an extra inning game won , of course, by the Yankees. Yogi Berra and Moose Scowron homered in the game which also featured Nebraskan Bob Cerv. So I've always got that going for me. 

I grew up hunting/fishing with Russ Snyder who won a World Series with the ‘66 Orioles. Swept the defending Champion Dodgers of Koufax/Drysdale fame, and hardly if ever mentioned it...

8 hours ago, jimmykc said:

I remember him playing for the A's. Pretty good left handed hitter with good speed on the bases.

The 1971 Little Chiefs banquet in downtown Lincoln featured guest speaker Russ Snyder. We were all like, "Who?" And our dads flicked our heads, and said "Russ Damn Snyder, that's who!"

On edit: 1971 banquet. Maybe '72. Long damn time ago.

Edited by jayschool