OT: Live Sports Are Back!

10 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Maybe someone can fill me in on what I'm missing,

If Blake had lived the exact same life but looked like me, he most likely would not have been shot.

This is about wanting the amount of life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness to not be dependent on the color of your skin.

27 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

If Blake had lived the exact same life but looked like me, he most likely would not have been shot.

This is about wanting the amount of life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness to not be dependent on the color of your skin.

Statistically speaking, your statement is false.  Not saying whites and blacks are treated equally by law enforcement (they're not, as this study proves), but in a potential life-or-death situation like that they actually are.  https://scholar.harvard.edu/fryer/publications/empirical-analysis-racial-differences-police-use-force

And logically your argument fails too.  If a white (or Asian, or Indian, etc) dude with an open warrant for a violent crime, and with a history of assaulting police officers while being arrested for past violent crimes, resists arrest before calmly walking to his SUV and reaching his hand in-between the driver/passenger seats (all while being instructed to get on the ground), he would be shot too.  That's why every year there are 400 white guys shot and killed by the police.  Violent white guys resist arrest, too.

Again, I come back to the examples where it truly does appear racism (whether systemic or overt) was the cause of death.  The Elijah McClain death is particularly disgusting, and it angers me that no charges have been pressed after an entire year.  But to use a rapist resisting arrest as the rallying cry?  Pass.

41 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Statistically speaking, your statement is false.  Not saying whites and blacks are treated equally by law enforcement (they're not, as this study proves), but in a potential life-or-death situation like that they actually are.  https://scholar.harvard.edu/fryer/publications/empirical-analysis-racial-differences-police-use-force

And logically your argument fails too.  If a white (or Asian, or Indian, etc) dude with an open warrant for a violent crime, and with a history of assaulting police officers while being arrested for past violent crimes, resists arrest before calmly walking to his SUV and reaching his hand in-between the driver/passenger seats (all while being instructed to get on the ground), he would be shot too.  That's why every year there are 400 white guys shot and killed by the police.  Violent white guys resist arrest, too.

Again, I come back to the examples where it truly does appear racism (whether systemic or overt) was the cause of death.  The Elijah McClain death is particularly disgusting, and it angers me that no charges have been pressed after an entire year.  But to use a rapist resisting arrest as the rallying cry?  Pass.

If the rest of our country would take the same approach to things like you, the country would be a much better place.  I don't want to place words in your mouth but you seem like a person that looks at events from all angles without jumping to conclusions or following party lines. (Either party) I commend you for that. Unfortunately we rarely get the full story from the TV news. (Fox or CNN) There, I'm done talking politics. Go Big Red!

What happened to the "no political posts" rule? We get plenty of this stuff on all of the other media. By the way, does anyone ever wait on actual evidence before jumping to conclusions any more? Otherwise why bother with a legal system at all, just take a poll on twitter and mete out whatever justice the majority mandates? It would bypass lawyers altogether.

7 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

What happened to the "no political posts" rule? We get plenty of this stuff on all of the other media. By the way, does anyone ever wait on actual evidence before jumping to conclusions any more? Otherwise why bother with a legal system at all, just take a poll on twitter and mete out whatever justice the majority mandates? It would bypass lawyers altogether.

Thanks Jimmy. While i very much understand why various issues are important to everyone I will say that it's mentally taxing on me to have to discern between what is and what isn't acceptable to talk about, which has been a constant issue since the sports world ground to a halt.  I've spent an hour today trying to figure how if it's my responsibility to say something, say nothing, etc. 

18 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

You are correct.  And perhaps what I was getting at wasn't articulated clearly.  The issue I take is that so many HAVE jumped to the conclusion that the Blake situation is another case of racism/police brutality/injustice, and they are burning cities down as a result (which then leads to 17yo kids killing people in the streets, which leads to.......where does it end?).  Re-reading my posts, I see how what I presented makes it look like I am also jumping to conclusions.  I'm not.  Maybe Jacob Blake was wrongfully accused of rape, maybe the cops were kicking him in the kidneys while he lay on the ground so he felt threatened, maybe any number of things.  I don't know.  What I do know is that there is enough evidence in this case to suggest it's potentially (even likely) not racism/police brutality.  So maybe people should hold off on burning down cities in Blake's name.  Meanwhile, we have cases that DO have known facts and DO show clear racism.  But Blake is new, and the video looks bad, so we jump to conclusions.

Regarding political discourse, I don't see anywhere that we've brought in party affiliation, politicians, anything.  It's a current event, and one which happens to be incredibly intertwined with sports.  This is literally the reason why there's no NBA on our TVs tonight.  So what are we supposed to do? Just say "well, no NBA tonight because, uh, never mind."  It's a thin line, I get it.  But right now there is no such thing as sports without COVID and the racial justice movement issues.  They are 100% overlapped.

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

On the subject of the comments above, @HuskerHoops on Twitter posted a video statement from the players and Hoiberg. I'll leave out the link since there's intention to get back to the "OT: Live Sports Are Back!" topic.

Would definitely say it’s worth checking out. I’m glad Hoiberg is doing what Miles was so good at and standing with the players on this. I applaud both coaches. 

For what it's worth I have a family member who was on the Nebraska roster the last two years before medically retiring and still lives with some of the players. Told me the staff told the team "practice starts next week." Could simply be part of the 12 hours allowed, but made it seem like full go practice getting ready for a season 

45 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Since there's at least a few soccer fans who frequent this board. Union Omaha is 4-0-3 (haven't lost a match yet), sitting at 2nd place, and on track to make the finals in late October in their first season in League One (USSF sanctioned league):

I watched the second half on ESPN+. They're a fun team to watch, with a really good goalkeeper.  I wish there was Pro/Rel in USL, Omaha should probably be playing in the Championship division.