OT: Live Sports Are Back!

12 hours ago, 49r said:

Nerve-wracking game for Sporting KC last night, but got that dub!  👍

Played fantastic against MUFC but took a loss.  Played like crap against Colorado but got the win.  Soccer can be weird sometimes.

10 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Played fantastic against MUFC but took a loss.  Played like crap against Colorado but got the win.  Soccer can be weird sometimes.

Love the odds 11 v. 9. Norwich City was two men down for 46 minutes against Burnley yesterday and it held it to 2-0. And Norwich sucks even with 11 on the pitch.

Fireworks in the very first minute, glad I got up on time.  Match started at 07:00AM for me out here in Mountain time.  I *barely* resisted the urge to run up and down my street chanting "SKC! SKC!" after Gerso sealed it; there's just something so sweet about living 40 minutes from your rival and then beating them.  I mean, anytime we beat RSL it's a good day.  But after moving here in the spring, it is soooooo much better this time around.

What a weird day for my two professional teams.

1. Sporting KC breaks futility record for most shots without scoring a goal, and then advances via a penalty kick shootout against Vancouver. Oh yeah, and the match ended at roughly 1:30am in Florida, where it was being played.

2. Phillies lose series to the Marlins (seriously, the Marlins?) and then get quarantined after the game when it is discovered that 8 more Marlins players have COVID.

22 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

Over what time frame? Cases have been dropping nationwide for a week. Still high, no doubt, but definitely not a situation where cases are rising in all but 2 states.

As of yesterday numbers were decreasing in New Mexico & Vermont, plateauing in about 5 others, increasing in the rest. Not trying to be an alarmist, I just fear we’re in for a LONG slog...

• 2 weeks later...

I struggle with the current Jacob Blake protests. My heart breaks over so many of these recent police brutality cases -- George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Elijah McClain, and more.  I've been fully onboard with the need to stop glorifying Confederates and to rename all the Robert E. Lee high schools.  And I absolutely think that walking out on a basketball game is the correct way to protest.  But my problem is this -- why rally around Blake? 

Of all the recent high profile shootings, he is the least sympathetic victim.  He has a warrant out for his arrest for rape, for crying out loud.  In a town of only 100,000 people, the cops had to have recognized him instantly from the open warrant, which means they also knew his history of assaulting a police officer among other violent crimes.  Then he resists arrest (again) on Sunday, and is seen reaching into the SUV after repeatedly being told by law enforcement to stop.  And there are three kids in the backseat, so the cops are going to be even less inclined to allow Blake to initiate a shootout.  All of that...and yet this is the guy we are burning cities over?  This is the guy we hold up "we love you Jacob" signs for?  I don't get it.  Maybe someone can fill me in on what I'm missing, but I don't see how this case even remotely resembles the McClain or Floyd brutalities.  At this point it just seems like a portion of the country wants to watch America burn.