OT: Live Sports Are Back!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 49r said:

That.  Was.  Brutal!

And now we lost Melia for Friday.

Yeah I was just talking to a buddy about how punitive that Melia red card was.  It ultimately led to 2 goals plus having to play Sanchez for the full 90 on Friday.  In hindsight, Timmy should have just conceded the goal.  Obviously a tie last night with Tim between the post on Friday is way better than a loss last night plus Sanchez on Friday.

Definitely.  Sanchez looked nervous even doing his warm ups during the Melia red card VAR.  Clearly he was not comfortable coming in during that situation.  I'm hoping that he will be much better Friday, since he has 4 days to prepare.  To use a baseball analogy -- some guys are wired to be starters, and other are wired to be closers.  Sanchez clearly didn't have the closer mentality, but maybe he'll be alright knowing that he's the man for the full 90.

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I've been watching some Premier League-- especially Pulisic who has been killing it.   MLS still has a long ways to go.

MLS has come a very long ways. A league that was the laughing stock of paying for near-retired international athletes, now to building a very solid pipeline for South American and CONCACAF athletes to build their talent and get traded to European clubs for big money.

Miggy Almiron came from Paraguay, played in the MLS, then was transferred to Newcastle for $24M. Tyler Adams came from the Red Bulls academy and transferred to Leipzig for $3M with a 33% sell-on fee which will pay massive dividends. Alphonso Davies was transferred to Bayern for $13.5M with a potential $8.5M in bonuses. All three of those transfers occurred in 2019, alone. So a handful of that talent you're starting to watch in the European leagues are either US-based talent or has been going through the MLS pipeline.

Also Liga MX (Mexican soccer) has always been the top league in the western hemisphere, but MLS is very quickly overtaking the reigns. Note the recent commentary from owners and players in the league about losing the battle to MLS.

Liga MX is on the verge of a NASL style financial collapse.  There are talks of desperately wanting to merge with MLS, in the hopes of bringing some financial stability to Mexican soccer.  I'm not terribly excited about the notion of doing so honestly but the idea of playing regular season league matches against Clubamerica or Monterrey or Chivas etc does have a certain appeal.

4 minutes ago, 49r said:

Liga MX is on the verge of a NASL style financial collapse.  There are talks of desperately wanting to merge with MLS, in the hopes of bringing some financial stability to Mexican soccer.  I'm not terribly excited about the notion of doing so honestly but the idea of playing regular season league matches against Clubamerica or Monterrey or Chivas etc does have a certain appeal.

Although that was the initial push to merge, I'm getting a sense they're trying to built it out more into a relegation/promotion system where the top ~18 clubs (between MLS and Liga MX) would be at the top league with the other clubs in their own respective domestic leagues. Not sure on the friability, but that sure would make things interesting.

A lot of this also seems to be driven by a desire to get a massive television contract. And doing this would get them to that. Particularly bringing in a huge and already established fanbase in places like Mexico, Costa Rica, and some South American countries where many of the younger players are coming from.

15 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Although that was the initial push to merge, I'm getting a sense they're trying to built it out more into a relegation/promotion system where the top ~18 clubs (between MLS and Liga MX) would be at the top league with the other clubs in their own respective domestic leagues. Not sure on the friability, but that sure would make things interesting.

A lot of this also seems to be driven by a desire to get a massive television contract. And doing this would get them to that. Particularly bringing in a huge and already established fanbase in places like Mexico, Costa Rica, and some South American countries where many of the younger players are coming from.

I hadn't heard that plan, but man does that sound entertaining as a fan.  A top MLS/Liga MX league plus a feeder league from each country just might work.  I know MLS owners are very anti-relegation, but that system would potentially provide enough added TV revenue to offset relegation losses.  Plus, that relegation penalty isn't nearly as bad since MLS would still be the top domestic-only league.  

23 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

MLS has come a very long ways. A league that was the laughing stock of paying for near-retired international athletes, now to building a very solid pipeline for South American and CONCACAF athletes to build their talent and get traded to European clubs for big money.

Miggy Almiron came from Paraguay, played in the MLS, then was transferred to Newcastle for $24M. Tyler Adams came from the Red Bulls academy and transferred to Leipzig for $3M with a 33% sell-on fee which will pay massive dividends. Alphonso Davies was transferred to Bayern for $13.5M with a potential $8.5M in bonuses. All three of those transfers occurred in 2019, alone. So a handful of that talent you're starting to watch in the European leagues are either US-based talent or has been going through the MLS pipeline.

Also Liga MX (Mexican soccer) has always been the top league in the western hemisphere, but MLS is very quickly overtaking the reigns. Note the recent commentary from owners and players in the league about losing the battle to MLS.

No doubt that MLS has come a long way!  You're starting to see some talent actually stay in the MLS as well.  A long ways to go, but not as long as it was 10 or even 5 years ago.