Will they or won't they: A poll

Will they or won't they: A poll  

90 members have voted

1. 1. So ... will this coming season start on time?

• Yep, like clockwork. Opening night will go off as scheduled.
    • Probably end of November tournaments in the various islands will be the start of the season.
    • I'm thinking probably beginning of December. Like they used to do.
    • I doubt there'll be a fall semester. We're probably looking at only conference games beginning in January.
    • No, and I'm afraid the next season of basketball won't start until November 2021.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/03/health/penn-state-big-10-myocarditis-covid-spt-trnd/index.html

Man...Everytime It seems like there's a glimmer of hope an article like this comes out. Regardless of peoples thoughts if its right or wrong I think we can all agree the Big 10 is taking the most risk-averse position on the start of sports seasons. And when I see this I start to think the worst as it pertains to me seeing my Huskers play some basketball 🥺

As far as football goes I guess the unanswerable question is whether or not playing these games will result in less, more, or no change in the amount of cases/outbreaks.  You can obviously make arguments for any of those. I do think that if the B1G pulls the trigger on the season you can thank the development of those relatively cheap $5 - 15 minute tests.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

As far as football goes I guess the unanswerable question is whether or not playing these games will result in less, more, or no change in the amount of cases/outbreaks.  You can obviously make arguments for any of those. I do think that if the B1G pulls the trigger on the season you can thank the development of those relatively cheap $5 - 15 minute tests.

How would college football reduce the number of cases?  By giving people a reason to stay home all Saturday? I can see the "no change" argument but I don't understand how football would actually reduce COVID cases.

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

How would college football reduce the number of cases?  By giving people a reason to stay home all Saturday? I can see the "no change" argument but I don't understand how football would actually reduce COVID cases.

Your football players social distancing because they want to play vs not because they aren't going to play. Not much of an argument but it is one.

Gary Sharp mentioned on his show today he expects the B1G to carry over its more extensive covid testing protocols over from football to basketball, which I'm sure will be more than what the NCAA is going to require.

Not sure how that'll affect non-con games for B1G teams. I know the coaches think they're playing some non-con games, but will the B1G allow that if the opponents are not testing or holding players out at the same level as the B1G?

Of course when you have a significantly smaller team to track with hoops than football, should be easier to keep basketball players testing negative.

• 3 weeks later...