Will they or won't they: A poll

Will they or won't they: A poll  

90 members have voted

1. 1. So ... will this coming season start on time?

• Yep, like clockwork. Opening night will go off as scheduled.
    • Probably end of November tournaments in the various islands will be the start of the season.
    • I'm thinking probably beginning of December. Like they used to do.
    • I doubt there'll be a fall semester. We're probably looking at only conference games beginning in January.
    • No, and I'm afraid the next season of basketball won't start until November 2021.

28 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

If the Big Ten deems it unsafe to play football, then I'm pretty sure that means they feel it's unsafe to play football whether it's against Big Ten opponents or non-conference opponents.

Frost found himself in a compromising position when the Big Ten commissioner retorted and Frost doubled down.

And? Frost and UNL and the UNMC medical team strongly disagree with the BIG10. Are we not allowed to speak on the subject that is going to completely devastate so many people and student athletes in Nebraska? I am happy we stood up for ourselves and again, We NEVER mentioned leaving the BIG10, which is what the media completely made up.

7 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

And? Frost and UNL and the UNMC medical team strongly disagree with the BIG10. Are we not allowed to speak on the subject that is going to completely devastate so many people and student athletes in Nebraska? I am happy we stood up for ourselves and again, We NEVER mentioned leaving the BIG10, which is what the media completely made up.

Yep. What it did tell us is that Michael Wilbon and Desmond Howard despise that Nebraska even exists in their little men's club, particularly since we didn't kiss the ring.

Back to football, there's a rumor that six B1G teams still want to play and are trying to sort out how to do a home-and-home with each of the other five teams.  Rumors like this are typically unsubstantiated, but in this case there are some connected people doing the reporting.  Gives me hope that there is truth to this rumor.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-football-still-working-to-create-new-10-game-Big-Ten-schedule-150445186/

Based on that letter and the line about the inability to social distance in contact sports playing a role in the cancellation of football, basketball season is also in serious jeopardy, even a delayed start, unless a fail proof vaccine is in place by January 1. Not likely.

Or unless Warren is fired/resigns.

Edited by throwback

2 hours ago, throwback said:

Based on that letter and the line about the inability to social distance in contact sports playing a role in the cancellation of football, basketball season is also in serious jeopardy, even a delayed start, unless a fail proof vaccine is in place by January 1. Not likely.

Or unless Warren is fired/resigns.

It can be done, football can be played and social distancing measures can be maintained at the same time.  I've seen it happen.  In 2014 the Nebraska defense showed tremendous discipline in maintaining social distance from Melvin Gordon as he ran for 400 yards.

B1G coaches seem to think they're starting hoops around Thanksgiving. Hope they've consulted with a certain B1G commissioner. 😁 If he sends out an updated schedule a week before official practice starts, though, we're screwed.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-big-ten-basketball-season-20200820-7p5anoaxaba6diuarlonafjtdq-story.html

Izzo envisions round-robin events with four teams beginning after Thanksgiving and extending into December: “You do that three times, you have your nine non-conference games.”

Edited by throwback

https://omaha.com/sports/college/uno/uno-a-d-trev-alberts-is-cautiously-optimistic-for-winter-sports-like-hockey-basketball/article_91bcb010-5233-5ade-a62d-a37b5082a368.html

UNO's Trev thinks we'll have winter sports, but it'll be interesting to see how NCAA handles college hockey, which has its first games a full month before college basketball. NCAA/conferences need to make a decision soon on hockey, and it will kind of give some insight into the thought process for the winter sports.

Now, hockey only has about a week of official practice before its first game, so they're only scheduled to start practice a couple of weeks before college basketball starts practice, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Will be interesting to see how the B1G handles hockey. I don't believe the B1G has put out a hockey schedule yet, but UNO starts Oct. 9-10. Hard to imagine if the B1G says it's not safe to start football in late September that it's OK to start hockey in early October, so I'd guess B1G will kick the can down the road and delay starting hockey till Jan. 1 at the earliest, unless the NCAA beats them to the punch. Although the way the league has handled the past few weeks, nothing would surprise me.

I believe its the 100th anniversary season of Gopher hockey, so this season is an especially big deal for them. Minnesota and its fans didn't seem to have much appetite for playing football this fall & PJ was more than happy to toe the company line on cancelling, but if the B1G tries to take away Gopher hockey ...  

“The hockey season is really long (October through March) so we have some flexibility," Alberts said. “But I am hopeful and cautiously optimistic that we can have a season."

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has an article today titled "Big Ten working on a plan that could feature football starting Thanksgiving weekend."

The content is behind a paywall unfortunately.

Another link:

https://247sports.com/Article/Big-Ten-fall-football-season-starting-by-Thanksgiving-week-originally-postponed-January-COVID-19-150789813/