Will they or won't they: A poll

Will they or won't they: A poll  

90 members have voted

1. 1. So ... will this coming season start on time?

• Yep, like clockwork. Opening night will go off as scheduled.
    • Probably end of November tournaments in the various islands will be the start of the season.
    • I'm thinking probably beginning of December. Like they used to do.
    • I doubt there'll be a fall semester. We're probably looking at only conference games beginning in January.
    • No, and I'm afraid the next season of basketball won't start until November 2021.

43 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Let's say Nebraska plays football this fall with a mixture of teams from different conferences but does not commit to a conference. As a result we get booted out of the Big Ten. What happens to our beloved hoops team this winter? (As well as all the other sports of course)  Even if we join a different conference, do those teams revamp the schedules that are already in place so we can play them this year?

If they did line up a schedule they face the chance that those games don't happen either, and with the threats of expulsion from the conference it pretty much ends the chance of that happening.  Why would it have been unreasonable for the Big Ten to tell their schools they could chance it on their own as an independent this year?  Because if it worked out it would make the Big Ten look stupid.  But if they were worried about not looking stupid they shouldn't have put their commissioner out there for that interview.  FTG.

I don't know if you need to worry about a basketball schedule this year with these sackless wonders in charge.

12 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Let's say Nebraska plays football this fall with a mixture of teams from different conferences but does not commit to a conference. As a result we get booted out of the Big Ten. What happens to our beloved hoops team this winter? (As well as all the other sports of course)  Even if we join a different conference, do those teams revamp the schedules that are already in place so we can play them this year?

To try to play football somewhere else, the lawyers would have to get involved heavily. There would be so many injunctions filed that NU would still be a member of the B1G until those unwound. Might take years. So we'd still be playing B1G hoops for the foreseeable future.

And people think we receive the short end from B1G basketball refs now ... just wait.

59 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

This conference has a pretty clear track record for not kicking out schools that have committed actual atrocities so 'unsanctioned football' seems like it wouldn't be a deal breaker

Counterpoint:  Those members had actually established themselves for decades before embarrassing the conference.  We're still a pleb in the Big Ten in everyone's eyes.

I’m sure most of us have heard Michael Wlibon’s rant about Nebraska, & while most of it is true he needs to be reminded of a few things. First of all, Northwestern Football is an economic *blip* on the Chicago landscape, & the sun doesn’t rise/set with the Wildcats or the Illini. The financial loss to Lincoln will be devastating. Secondly, the Big 8 was the BEST Conference in Football during the 70’s-80’s-90’s while the Big 10 was largely irrelevant...We’re obviously not going anywhere, but it does get REAL old to be constantly reminded that it’s still Michigan & Ohio St’s Conference.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’m sure most of us have heard Michael Wlibon’s rant about Nebraska, & while most of it is true he needs to be reminded of a few things. First of all, Northwestern Football is an economic *blip* on the Chicago landscape, & the sun doesn’t rise/set with the Wildcats or the Illini. The financial loss to Lincoln will be devastating. Secondly, the Big 8 was the BEST Conference in Football during the 70’s-80’s-90’s while the Big 10 was largely irrelevant...We’re obviously not going anywhere, but it does get REAL old to be constantly reminded that it’s still Michigan & Ohio St’s Conference.

Sadly, Nebraska hasn't produced results on the field to be considered one of the top teams.  Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa can all laugh at Nebraska deserving to be a major player in the conference.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

This conference has a pretty clear track record for not kicking out schools that have committed actual atrocities so 'unsanctioned football' seems like it wouldn't be a deal breaker

You’re forgetting that in the Big Ten (and LOADS of other places), football is important. Sex crimes aren’t. 

3 hours ago, No Place Like the Vault said:

Sadly, Nebraska hasn't produced results on the field to be considered one of the top teams.  Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa can all laugh at Nebraska deserving to be a major player in the conference.

My main point was whether Northwestern plays football or not, it will have ZERO impact on the city of Chicago. Conversely, Husker football NOT playing will have a devastating effect on Lincoln, that & Scott’s desire to have his players “backs” I think was why he was so adamant about seeing this through.

15 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

My main point was whether Northwestern plays football or not, it will have ZERO impact on the city of Chicago. Conversely, Husker football NOT playing will have a devastating effect on Lincoln, that & Scott’s desire to have his players “backs” I think was why he was so adamant about seeing this through.

If Northwestern DROPPED football, 10 minutes later the number of people who would ever even think about Northwestern football again would number in the dozens.

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If Northwestern DROPPED football, 10 minutes later the number of people who would ever even think about Northwestern football again would number in the dozens.

One could count it out on their own hands and toes, basically since our NU's the "hicks" of the league, the snotty NU told us so... Wilbon's the worst. 😌

If we manage to start B1G sports around Jan. 1 -- hardly a given at this point -- it will have been roughly 300 days since an NU team had taken the field. 

In the interim, millions of middle and high school aged players will have participated in multiple club sports (traveling across state lines) and high school sports. Millions more college-aged students will have been thrown into the petri dish that is a college dorm/campus/frat party house. And other university athletic departments, with significantly fewer resources (financial and otherwise) than a B1G school may pull off some semblance of a college football/volleyball/soccer/cross country season.

I hope 2021 is officially named the Year of Common Sense Returning.

18 minutes ago, 49r said:

It's embarrassing for the University that they allowed themselves to be put in the position to make this statement to begin with.

Did anyone at Nebraska other than Frost say that they wanted to play football, which is the same thing that Ohio St's coach stated?

51 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Did anyone at Nebraska other than Frost say that they wanted to play football, which is the same thing that Ohio St's coach stated?

Not that I'm aware of other than the football players.  But a couple of things here:

1).  For Moos or the President to not right away come out and "clarify" Frost's statement would be tacitly supporting what he said

2).  How Day worded his statement was slightly, but significantly different than Frost's

Frost came out and sort of ham-handedly said "no matter what, we're gonna play football this fall"

Day said (and he was probably coached by OSU administration on this) that they will be exploring options and not closing the door just yet on their season

It's a subtle difference, but one could see why Frost was excoriated by the media and why Day was largely ignored.

Edited by 49r

I don't think ESPN will be happy with this statement unless NU makes Frost read it on his knees. But honestly, has anyone the faintest idea how all this might come out in the Spring assuming any sports of any kind are played. Will March Madness compete with college football on the tube? Shouldn''t all of the conferences try to coordinate their responses to be consistent? Or is that being too rational? What a mess.

I do not know the ins and outs of NCAA or conference rules so what would stop Nebraska from a televised scrimmage vs itself?  Vs Nebraska Wesleyan? 

The statement above says that they're in on the B1G 10 which is absolutely the right short term and probably long term move. What is allowable in that framework?

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I do not know the ins and outs of NCAA or conference rules so what would stop Nebraska from a televised scrimmage vs itself?  Vs Nebraska Wesleyan? 

The statement above says that they're in on the B1G 10 which is absolutely the right short term and probably long term move. What is allowable in that framework?

That's my question. College football is allowed to schedule their out of conference games. If we don't join another conference or take part in another conferences' championship game then aren't we still just scheduling out of conference games only maybe a few more than usual?

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

That's my question. College football is allowed to schedule their out of conference games. If we don't join another conference or take part in another conferences' championship game then aren't we still just scheduling out of conference games only maybe a few more than usual?

B1G was clear that they would play conference only.  The B1G leadership certainly expected the ACC, Big XII and SEC to fall in line.

5 hours ago, 49r said:

It's embarrassing for the University that they allowed themselves to be put in the position to have to make this statement to begin with.

Completely disagree. If people listen to Scott there was no mention of leaving the conference and he was clear in his message. The reason we clarified was because some A hole national guys take it out of context and create a fake narrative that we had to address.

23 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:
6 hours ago, 49r said:

It's embarrassing for the University that they allowed themselves to be put in the position to have to make this statement to begin with.

Completely disagree. If people listen to Scott there was no mention of leaving the conference and he was clear in his message. The reason we clarified was because some A hole national guys take it out of context and create a fake narrative that we had to address.

If the Big Ten deems it unsafe to play football, then I'm pretty sure that means they feel it's unsafe to play football whether it's against Big Ten opponents or non-conference opponents.

Frost found himself in a compromising position when the Big Ten commissioner retorted and Frost doubled down.