Will they or won't they: A poll

Will they or won't they: A poll  

90 members have voted

1. 1. So ... will this coming season start on time?

• Yep, like clockwork. Opening night will go off as scheduled.
    • Probably end of November tournaments in the various islands will be the start of the season.
    • I'm thinking probably beginning of December. Like they used to do.
    • I doubt there'll be a fall semester. We're probably looking at only conference games beginning in January.
    • No, and I'm afraid the next season of basketball won't start until November 2021.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

I thought about that the other day, especially the logistics of going to class, etc. So everybody in the West goes to Chicago and holes up at UIC or someplace and they play a triple round-robin and take online courses? Eighteen games (3 times 6 opponents)? Everybody in the East gathers in Cincinnati or Detroit or Philly? Or just one big bubble in Indy or Chicago with a double-round robin starting after Christmas (26 games)? Could be kinda cool.

Edited by jayschool

4 hours ago, jayschool said:

I thought about that the other day, especially the logistics of going to class, etc. So everybody in the West goes to Chicago and holes up at UIC or someplace and they play a triple round-robin and take online courses? Eighteen games (3 times 6 opponents)? Everybody in the East gathers in Cincinnati or Detroit or Philly? Or just one big bubble in Indy or Chicago with a double-round robin starting after Christmas (26 games)? Could be kinda cool.

I like your ideas. Your thoughts got me thinking.

Now I know the conference doesn't break up nicely into four groups, but I think that's they way you do this and I am gonna tell you why 😃.

Four bubbles gives you more control when an outbreak happens. So instead of disrupting seven teams if a team pops positive you only disrupt three or four teams. This would allow for more games to be played amongst the other teams while the positive bubble of teams are quarentined for whatever length their guidelines are at the time.

Then the bubbles switch up. Do this over six to eight weeks making it a three day tournament every two to three weeks. Quarantining bubbles as you go as they pop positive. 

Have a weekend set aside at the end for any makeup games to be played and have it as a tournament(s) at the end. 

Then the Big Ten Tournament. 

Simple right?!?

24 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Is it to late for players who want to play; move to temporary locations that they can play???

I believe the NSAA is sticking to their transfer rules but if you move into another school district you are immediately eligible so I think you can. Problem is who knows if the other district might shut down as well.  Might see movement on the basketball side of things.  A little irony if players transfer away from Omaha Central.

Sounding pretty bleak for college football at this point with the Big Ten presidents leading the charge.  Can't imagine volleyball has much of a chance of being played either.

If they cancel football or say they're moving it to spring, there is basically zero chance an indoor sport like hoops starts on time and Jan. 1 would almost certainly be the best case scenario ... if they'd play at all. Brutal.

The potential budget / sports cuts coming could be catastrophic with no football revenue, especially after losing March Madness last season. Wonder how many athletic departments even survive / stay in D-1 outside of the big boys.

The major conferences freezing out the small conferences was too clever by half.  The small conferences, with no paydays coming for major conference road games, have no reason not to fold up the tent on the season.  Which puts more pressure on the major conferences to do so as well.

If the season is cancelled, whether this turns out to be just a disaster, or if it turns out to be catastrophic, for college athletics and athletic budgets is the question that remains.  The ever increasing of the TV money will probably stop, and possibly reverse as the cable networks are going to be in trouble.

I suspect that Ed Weir track will still exist 10 years from now.

I see the reports that the NFL is watching what college football does with great interest ... not because they are looking for ideas with how to handle things during the pandemic, but because they are looking to grab soon-to-be-open Saturday TV slots. I'd guess if the NFL takes Saturdays in 2020, they won't give up those TV slots easily going forward. 

Best case scenario - all college sports, including football, resume somewhat in the spring, the majority of athletic departments have enough revenue to barely keep going, and 2021-22 is somewhat normal. 

Worst case scenario - college sports is basically over as we know it. 

My guess is there are more than a handful of major college presidents who would be OK with scenario #2.

45 minutes ago, throwback said:

I see the reports that the NFL is watching what college football does with great interest ... not because they are looking for ideas with how to handle things during the pandemic, but because they are looking to grab soon-to-be-open Saturday TV slots. I'd guess if the NFL takes Saturdays in 2020, they won't give up those TV slots easily going forward. 

Best case scenario - all college sports, including football, resume somewhat in 

Another aspect I will watch over the years that follow this whole mess is the trajectory of the salaries of coaches. Football and basketball. My guess is we've seen the highest average salary for power 5 coaches for about 10 years. Give or take a few years.

15 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

The major conferences freezing out the small conferences was too clever by half.  The small conferences, with no paydays coming for major conference road games, have no reason not to fold up the tent on the season.  Which puts more pressure on the major conferences to do so as well.

If the season is cancelled, whether this turns out to be just a disaster, or if it turns out to be catastrophic, for college athletics and athletic budgets is the question that remains.  The ever increasing of the TV money will probably stop, and possibly reverse as the cable networks are going to be in trouble.

I suspect that Ed Weir track will still exist 10 years from now.

On what’s been a very disappointing day for all Husker sports fans, I can’t say I’m terribly surprised. Now is the time to hunker down for the collective good, ride this out & hopefully come out the other side scarred but smarter. Oh, & much thanks for the “props” thrown out to fellow Superior alum Ed Weir...

Been 22 weeks tomorrow since NU-Indiana hoops in the B1G tourney. Had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that night, watching Fred looking so ill on the bench and facing a lot of unknowns with Covid.

However, I never in a million years thought we'd be here 22 weeks later. Hard to believe the B1G essentially wasted those 22 weeks instead of coming up with a workable plan.

Not going to solely blame Warren for this - it's been a helluva first 7 1/2 months for him. What a nightmare.

But I wonder if the presidents would've been able to push this through if Delany was still in charge. Can't imagine Jim would've blinked first and let the SEC have any chance at gaining the upper hand.

Just hoping now we get at least a B1G-only hoops season starting Jan. 1, but after this decision today, nothing would surprise me.

Let's say Nebraska plays football this fall with a mixture of teams from different conferences but does not commit to a conference. As a result we get booted out of the Big Ten. What happens to our beloved hoops team this winter? (As well as all the other sports of course)  Even if we join a different conference, do those teams revamp the schedules that are already in place so we can play them this year?