Will they or won't they: A poll

Will they or won't they: A poll  

90 members have voted

1. 1. So ... will this coming season start on time?

• Yep, like clockwork. Opening night will go off as scheduled.
    • Probably end of November tournaments in the various islands will be the start of the season.
    • I'm thinking probably beginning of December. Like they used to do.
    • I doubt there'll be a fall semester. We're probably looking at only conference games beginning in January.
    • No, and I'm afraid the next season of basketball won't start until November 2021.

Saw this from Teddy Greenstein, buried at the end of a college football "will they play" story

College basketball has slightly more promise. The Big Ten is talking about starting around Jan. 1 and playing conference games only. And just as baseball debated expanding the playoffs, there's an appetite to create a one-time, 96-team NCAA Tournament.

10 hours ago, throwback said:

Saw this from Teddy Greenstein, buried at the end of a college football "will they play" story

College basketball has slightly more promise. The Big Ten is talking about starting around Jan. 1 and playing conference games only. And just as baseball debated expanding the playoffs, there's an appetite to create a one-time, 96-team NCAA Tournament.

10 hours ago, throwback said:

If there's a 256 team tournament and we get a win, will we count it?

On 7/25/2020 at 3:58 PM, Dead Dog Alley said:

My question was if there was a 96-team field and we won a game would we count it?

In my opinion, only with an asterisk. If at all.

I can say that now, but if it happened, I'd probably count it.

I know my first response was a bit tongue in cheek, but in seriousness I would count it.  The field is likely going to expand to more teams eventually anyways, so I don't think in the long run people would look at Nebraska's hypothetical win as needing an asterisk.  I'm sure we'd catch some grief from Creighton and Iowa fans for a bit, but eventually no one else would remember the uniqueness of the victory.  It would just be a '1' in the victory column and nothing more.

On 7/25/2020 at 3:58 PM, Dead Dog Alley said:

If the team who wins it all counts it, then I’ll count a Husker win, damn right!

5 hours ago, 49r said:

@jayschool are you going to just let these egregious accusations of academic impropriety at UIowa go unrebuffed???

Why, yes. Yes, I will.

Quite honestly, of the four institutions at which I've taught — CSU, KU, CU Boulder and the UI — Iowa is the least full of itself. The most arrogant? I'll let you guess.

3 hours ago, jayschool said:

Why, yes. Yes, I will.

Quite honestly, of the four institutions at which I've taught — CSU, KU, CU Boulder and the UI — Iowa is the least full of itself. The most arrogant? I'll let you guess.

The most arrogant?  It's Kansas isn't it...those guys call themselves the Harvard on the Kaw, but...unironically.

On 7/29/2020 at 3:03 PM, jayschool said:

Why, yes. Yes, I will.

Rock Chalk Jay-Hawk... Boulder is just a bunch of trust fund hippies! And all my family went to CSU, Go Rams!