Will they or won't they: A poll

Will they or won't they: A poll  

90 members have voted

1. 1. So ... will this coming season start on time?

• Yep, like clockwork. Opening night will go off as scheduled.
    • Probably end of November tournaments in the various islands will be the start of the season.
    • I'm thinking probably beginning of December. Like they used to do.
    • I doubt there'll be a fall semester. We're probably looking at only conference games beginning in January.
    • No, and I'm afraid the next season of basketball won't start until November 2021.

Interesting - Tough spot for the NSAA when you have multiple counties in the west with single digit reported cases or zero reported cases. Do you deny those smaller schools a chance to play just because OPS says there should be no sports?  (To be clear, OPS has made no decision yet, but it wouldn't shock me if both OPS and LPS say no to at least football this fall, and maybe all sports.)

Maybe Classes C & D go on almost as scheduled, but A & B are up in the air, depending on which districts choose to play. Going to be one of many tricky decisions coming in the next few weeks.

Edited by throwback

Today's OWH update - now Stevenson arrival pushed back to late July.

The Huskers have 10 of their 13 scholarship players on campus. All who have made it to Lincoln have been cleared of coronavirus and are participating in workouts. Practices with coaches on the floor can begin next week.

The three players not on campus are Thorir Thorbjarnarson, Shamiel Stevenson and Yvan Ouedraogo. Thorbjarnarson and Ouedraogo are overseas in Iceland and France, respectively, unable to come back to the United States because of travel restrictions. Stevenson is expected to be on campus for practice by the end of the month.

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/mens-basketball/husker-mens-basketball-delays-season-ticket-renewal-until-further-notice/article_1715d4e6-f084-57e4-9fb1-fd2cc1bfb114.html

What the hell is up with Stevenson not being here yet? If Banton can be here and if Stevenson's expected to be here at the end of the month, why is he not here already?

I find it troubling the number of players who miss out on important things like summer conditioning/workouts, the Italy trip, etc.

If international travel bans prevented him from being here, that's one thing. But that's obviously not the case.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

What the hell is up with Stevenson not being here yet? If Banton can be here and if Stevenson's expected to be here at the end of the month, why is he not here already?

I find it troubling the number of players who miss out on important things like summer conditioning/workouts, the Italy trip, etc.

If international travel bans prevented him from being here, that's one thing. But that's obviously not the case.

Good question - especially when the first report said he was here, which clearly was incorrect, then he'll be here mid-July, now it's late July. If he's here in late July, Banton will have been here 3-ish weeks already, so it's strange. (I assume they were both in Toronto during the initial lockdown.)

With even more limited access for beat reporters than usual, that info has to be coming directly from the program/coaches, so that adds to the oddity of the situation.

Maybe it's nothing. Maybe he has family members he's worried about. It's definitely odd. It's also unfortunate, being they can start limited workouts with coaches next week.

Edited by throwback

When you're Nebraska, you have to leverage every advantage you possibly have and you have to create some advantages to leverage. You cannot do just as much as everyone else does because your position relative to everyone else won't change that way. Having three potential starters (all of whom are at least expected to be rotation players) gone is a serious drag on getting ahead. Really limits their ability to develop and progress when they're not here.

I'm not really worried about Thor because the thing he most needs is to shoot 3-pointers all day long, and I suspect he's doing that.

But the other guys need that team environment and opportunity to get coached up.

48 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Did he tweet a lot before that?

Appears he tweeted consistently at least a few times per week prior.  then just silence starting June 1st.  In isolation that doesn't mean anything, but combine that with his Lincoln arrival date continuing to get pushed back...

As a Nebrasketball fan I am conditioned to read any change as a negative, because usually it is for us.

36 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I think it was posted on here but Heady at the OWH reported Stevenson was due back on campus in mid-july so nothing really to panic about with him unless it hits August and he's still not back.

We're talking about Husker basketball.  If history has taught us anything, it's always appropriate to panic.

Just now, aphilso1 said:

We're talking about Husker basketball.  If history has taught us anything, it's always appropriate to panic.

Also looks like he started liking things on twitter 5 days ago and posted on instagram about a week ago. Seems like he was just off his phone at home and he's getting back into the habit.

On 7/19/2020 at 12:55 PM, hhcmatt said:

Per Basnett's article Yvan and Thorir are the only two Huskers not in Lincoln so Stevenson must be in Lincoln

World Herald update today does not mention Stevenson at all; says only players not here are Yvan and Thor, so OWH seems to be on the same page as LJS now. Good to see.

Also Hoiberg is optimistic Yvan & Thor will be back in U.S. soon.

Hoiberg said the plan is to get them both on flights back to the U.S. this week.

“It’ll be nice to at least get two guys who know the system, who know what to do, back on U.S. soil,” Hoiberg said.

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/mens-basketball/huskers-stuck-overseas-amid-coronavirus-will-soon-be-able-to-join-team-for-workouts-hoiberg/article_e2aa91ac-b455-571f-a8b5-a6cac8a8c45b.html

On 7/19/2020 at 12:55 PM, hhcmatt said:

Per Basnett's article Yvan and Thorir are the only two Huskers not in Lincoln so Stevenson must be in Lincoln

2 hours ago, throwback said:

World Herald update today does not mention Stevenson at all; says only players not here are Yvan and Thor, so OWH seems to be on the same page as LJS now. Good to see.

Also Hoiberg is optimistic Yvan & Thor will be back in U.S. soon.

Not so fast my friends

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/mens-basketball/nebraska-basketball-workouts-have-gone-to-plan-but-theres-uncertainty-for-whats-next/article_9edb51b8-c739-5e92-ba64-6da907328f0c.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_OWHbigred

image.png

This is disconcerting.  The fact that LJS and OWH both just overlooked Shamiel, makes me wonder if they know something we don't.  Something like "oh yeah, we forgot that no one had officially announced yet that he's no longer on the team.  Oops."

Call me a pessimist if you like, but the pessimistic viewpoint has been correct way too often when it comes to Nebrasketball roster turnover.  The Roburt Sallie saga made me this way and I've been salty ever since.

13 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

This is disconcerting.  The fact that LJS and OWH both just overlooked Shamiel, makes me wonder if they know something we don't.  Something like "oh yeah, we forgot that no one had officially announced yet that he's no longer on the team.  Oops."

Call me a pessimist if you like, but the pessimistic viewpoint has been correct way too often when it comes to Nebrasketball roster turnover.  The Roburt Sallie saga made me this way and I've been salty ever since.

One of them had a quote from Fred on him. Said he chose to stay close to home and work out during the pandemic. Said he should be here soon but no specific date. Hope he does not flake too.