Will they or won't they: A poll

Will they or won't they: A poll  

90 members have voted

1. 1. So ... will this coming season start on time?

• Yep, like clockwork. Opening night will go off as scheduled.
    • Probably end of November tournaments in the various islands will be the start of the season.
    • I'm thinking probably beginning of December. Like they used to do.
    • I doubt there'll be a fall semester. We're probably looking at only conference games beginning in January.
    • No, and I'm afraid the next season of basketball won't start until November 2021.

9 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I still believe there will be no football/basketball/volleyball/etc this fall. 

MLB has still yet to set a start date, which is concerning.

The real question is who is going to be the first one to step out on a limb. No one wants to "that" person who is going to potentially put their neck on the line. 

I imagine what is holding everything back is related to legal concerns along with public perception.

If you're talking about all sports, NHL was the first to announce a plan followed by the NBA. I have doubts that either will actually kick off and if they do, they will not be completed. Just in my small world alone, I see too many ppl not doing their part.

Sure hope im wrong bc i desperately want an NBA finish, a college fb and NFL season, and Nebrasketball!!!

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

I still believe there will be no football/basketball/volleyball/etc this fall. 

MLB has still yet to set a start date, which is concerning.

The real question is who is going to be the first one to step out on a limb. No one wants to "that" person who is going to potentially put their neck on the line. 

I imagine what is holding everything back is related to legal concerns along with public perception.

Are you talking about legal concerns for universities?  The NBA and NHL have plans and MLB's issue is the MLBPA not being able to agree to terms with the owners.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Are you talking about legal concerns for universities?  The NBA and NHL have plans and MLB's issue is the MLBPA not being able to agree to terms with the owners.

Yes, legal concerns for universities. I know that those leagues have plans. My company had plans for us to go back to work in the office. Those plans have changed multiple times. 

I hope I'm wrong but I believe we won't have professional or college sports until spring 2021.

3 hours ago, khoock said:

If you're talking about all sports, NHL was the first to announce a plan followed by the NBA. I have doubts that either will actually kick off and if they do, they will not be completed. Just in my small world alone, I see too many ppl not doing their part.

Sure hope im wrong bc i desperately want an NBA finish, a college fb and NFL season, and Nebrasketball!!!

NWSL and MLS are the first two US team sports that are scheduled to return first. So we'll see how that shakes out. I'm sure other leagues are talking to each other about safety plans and policies.

13 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:
1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Yes, legal concerns for universities. I know that those leagues have plans. My company had plans for us to go back to work in the office. Those plans have changed multiple times. 

I hope I'm wrong but I believe we won't have professional or college sports until spring 2021.

I think there's a balance between legal concerns and financial concerns. I wouldn't be surprised if many D1 teams drop down to D2 in various sports. Pre-COVID, schools were already struggling financially.

Even in the Big East, I'm hearing there's potential restructuring the league to reduce travel as well as removing some postseason conference tournaments.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

No big deal, it's just basketball season. As long as we can get a few football games in, we will be fine.  Sorry for the cynicism but why does it seem nobody is concerned about not having a basketball season?  (Excluding Norm and this thread)

Football was scheduled for August and basketball was scheduled for November. It's July and collegiate sports, in general, are up in the air. I'd imagine it's as simple as that.

1 minute ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Rick Pitino: The health of my players and staff is what's really important.  And lining up some hookers.  The health of my players and staff and lining up some hookers is what's really important.  And paying off the equipment manager's wife after I knocked her up.  The health of my players and staff and lining up some hookers and paying off the equipment manager's wife after I knocked her up is what's really important.

19 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Rick Pitino: The health of my players and staff is what's really important.  And lining up some hookers.  The health of my players and staff and lining up some hookers is what's really important.  And paying off the equipment manager's wife after I knocked her up.  The health of my players and staff and lining up some hookers and paying off the equipment manager's wife after I knocked her up is what's really important.

Don't tell @Navin R. Johnson you stole his bit...  😁

24 minutes ago, throwback said:

By the way, OWH mentioned in that story Stevenson is actually not on campus, which is different than what was reported a few weeks ago. He's expected to arrive in mid-July. 

With our luck in these types of situations lately ... I'm not finishing that thought.

Brant Banks better start doing a few more cardio workouts.

The more we learn about the virus and about our own behaviors, the more it is apparent that college-aged individuals as a collective are unwilling to do the recommended steps to slow the spread.  This is only going to be compounded at universities with active frats/sororities and large percentages of on-campus residents; college night life will be a petri dish for COVID.

For these reasons, I find it likely that many colleges will experience mass outbreaks that will result in them shutting down very early in the academic year.  Will universities maintain their athletic programs while simultaneously moving to 100% computer-based distance learning?  If so, do they just maintain the money-making sports or do they also keep the small sports afloat?  How does Title IX effect the decision?  To me, these are the key questions that need answered in order to determine whether we will see Nebrasketball on the court this year.

Edited by aphilso1

This was buried at the bottom of Chris Heady's OWH story about B1G-only football:

Conference play for men’s basketball typically begins in December, but there’s a growing belief among the college basketball community that the season won’t begin until January at the earliest.

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/heady-big-tens-decision-a-sign-of-optimism-sports-can-be-played-but-nothings-guaranteed/article_b7b92f32-7a4b-54d3-8282-bd243b2a5909.html

27 minutes ago, throwback said:

This was buried at the bottom of Chris Heady's OWH story about B1G-only football:

Conference play for men’s basketball typically begins in December, but there’s a growing belief among the college basketball community that the season won’t begin until January at the earliest.

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/heady-big-tens-decision-a-sign-of-optimism-sports-can-be-played-but-nothings-guaranteed/article_b7b92f32-7a4b-54d3-8282-bd243b2a5909.html

That wreaks conference-only hoops to me.

Very very early though. We have to remember to put into perspective that we are 4 months into this, talking about a basketball season that is originally scheduled 4 months from now. A lot will happen between now and then.