Will they or won't they: A poll

Will they or won't they: A poll  

90 members have voted

1. 1. So ... will this coming season start on time?

• Yep, like clockwork. Opening night will go off as scheduled.
    • Probably end of November tournaments in the various islands will be the start of the season.
    • I'm thinking probably beginning of December. Like they used to do.
    • I doubt there'll be a fall semester. We're probably looking at only conference games beginning in January.
    • No, and I'm afraid the next season of basketball won't start until November 2021.

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think we've drifted into a political discussion here, which I thought everyone had agreed not to do a long time ago. All I was curious about was whether people think we'll have a basketball season next year. I had no intention of this devolving into a discussion about whether our government has handled it well or not. I think most people will view the government's response through their ideological/political lens, so I'd respectfully ask people to refrain from going there.

Edit: By "next year" I mean the one that would ordinarily start this coming fall and would end next year.

I stand by the fact that there was nothing political in my post. Facts are facts. if I had tried to interpret whether certain actions were good or bad, now that would be political. I guess I did share my appreciation of IKEA and ABBA. 

13 hours ago, busticket said:

All I know is my girlfriend has a compromised immune system so she won’t touch me until this is over.

I REALLY hope basketball starts on time.....

If only I could blame my similar situation on the virus...or maybe I can, maybe she just anticipated ithe epidemic a couple of years early...

There will be a fall semester but it will be online, and depending on what's happening in Nov-Dec the spring semester may be online, as well. Colleges can't bring that many people together in dorms and classrooms. They are going to be conflicted between continuing on campus, for the sake of enrollments and financial pressures from tightening state budgets, and not contributing to another wave of infections.  They don't want to open back up only to have to give students refunds for their housing again.

It's hard to see how they play games until there is increased testing, tracing of cases, and/or a vaccine. 

Edited by Cornhoopers

4 hours ago, Cornhoopers said:

There will be a fall semester but it will be online, and depending on what's happening in Nov-Dec the spring semester may be online, as well. Colleges can't bring that many people together in dorms and classrooms. They are going to be conflicted between continuing on campus, for the sake of enrollments and financial pressures from tightening state budgets, and not contributing to another wave of infections.  They don't want to open back up only to have to give students refunds for their housing again.

It's hard to see how they play games until there is increased testing, tracing of cases, and/or a vaccine. 

Which basically means possibly a 21-22 season is more likely, but again that depends on the vaccine.  I'm a concert photographer and discussion is pretty much no concerts (or conventions or big gatherings period) until fall 2021 at the earliest. Meaning this could be a loooooooooooong dry spell of sports. 

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I know this is going to veer this thread way off topic and I'm probably going to piss a lot of people off with this very unpopular take, but ...

I always thought Frida was better looking than Agnetha.

There, I said it. And I meant it.

It’s about time somebody had a “Hot Take” you can really sink yer teeth into...(no pun intended)

6 hours ago, Cornhoopers said:

Antibody testing would help.  But testing for corona virus, IMHO, doesn't help all that much.  Let's say I get a test today, it comes back negative, and I lick a toilet seat and get the virus next week.  What good did that test do?  As for the vaccine, we still don't have one for AIDS.  Our flu vaccines are hit and miss at best. 

I think it's time for us to realize LIFE is a risk.  Everyday you walk out your front door there is a chance you don't return.  I'm sure most here know my son Seth's story.  He has MDS--a form of leukemia.  He's a department manager at Wal Mart and he was so pissed Monday when he found out he had to wear a face mask.  

Jim Rose put it best this morning on KFAB.  Fear doesn't keep us from dying, it keeps us from living.  

https://journalstar.com/news/local/education/nu-officials-expect-to-have-classes-on-campus-in-fall/article_9c6b960b-4e9b-5cda-acef-dc6d5f63fd33.html

Nebraska plans to be holding classes on campus beginning in August - what that means for sports is still not known, but they plan to have students on campus.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I know this is going to veer this thread way off topic and I'm probably going to piss a lot of people off with this very unpopular take, but ...

I always thought Frida was better looking than Agnetha.

There, I said it. And I meant it.

Mmmm..I have to uh disagree with you there Normie...Agnetha  was the embodiment the Scandinavian blonde bombshell!  (My attempt at Cliff Claven)

12 hours ago, throwback said:

https://journalstar.com/news/local/education/nu-officials-expect-to-have-classes-on-campus-in-fall/article_9c6b960b-4e9b-5cda-acef-dc6d5f63fd33.html

Nebraska plans to be holding classes on campus beginning in August - what that means for sports is still not known, but they plan to have students on campus.

Interesting choice of words by Carter and Green. I'm not sure how much is in/out of context, but they use pretty definite language about the fall semester when we're in an environment of very high uncertainty and something that is months away. Things can change any given week, for the good or the bad.

Either way, this Journal Star article goes beyond some other ones I read; they discuss fall sports as well if anyone is interested to see their perspective on it.

3 hours ago, REDitus said:

I'd go with Mary Ann and Agnetha.   I do not like  Frida's curls and hair color in the waterloo video.   I don't think that was a good look for her.  I do like her though in other videos when her is straight and darker colored 

Of course there really are no “wrong” answers to these questions, but if have some free time, watch Raquel Welch’s appearance on the Dick Cavett show.... she was in a league of her own.

On 4/24/2020 at 11:42 AM, Cornhoopers said:

The question is going to be if you can get the virus a 2nd time, and if you can, is your immune system stronger to fight it off for you to survive the 2nd time?  If the California study is accurate, and 10 x more have/had it, means almost 10 million have/had it.  It makes the mortality rate at .5 %, instead of 5 %.  I am torn.  I really don't want to get it, but we also can't wait 2 + years for a vaccine to come, that might be 40 % effective. 

Back to the question in hand, I went with January and conference games only.  That will make for an interesting selection show.  How do you give out bids and seed teams?  The top 5 from power 6 conferences, and champs from the other conferences?  There will be no non conference games to see what team might be good in a strong conference, where their record is not good.  Or, they be an average team in a bad conference,  and have a good record.