Kevin Cross is leaving

kldm64

45 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

With the exception of a year where we change coaches, scholarships are guaranteed. He could stay if he wanted to.

I understand that, but who's going to stay on a team where, as Sip is indicating, the coach is telling you to find greener pastures. I would hope that our staff was more or less indifferent on his decision rather than insisting that he leaves. 

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

See this I somewhat have a problem with.

Cross was a project no doubt, but I'd rather we invest in a guy that we can all see would improve dramatically with an off-season of college nutrition/strength and conditioning if he's willing to stick with the team, continue to work on his shot, become even more comfortable within the system, and battle it out.

If that wasn't the case and he was leaning towards leaving because he wanted more playing time then so be it, but if he was willing to stay I would hope the staff would be more open to developing over the course of 3-4 years rather than insisting to leave. 

Insert Arop here maybe?

I would've liked Cross to stay as well, but I'm guessing he doesn't want to come off the bench.  No way he starts over Stevenson, Allen, or Banton.  I doubt the coaches told him they didn't want him.  I'm guessing they told him he would be a role player, and that was probably the reality of the situation for him here.  We have a legitimate squad next year, with more player additions likely in the fold soon.  It's going to be fight or flight for most players under Hoiberg, and more power to him for setting up a system that puts the program first as opposed to risking the entire structure on the loyalty feelings of an 18-22yo.  

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Sipple also confirming what most people are thinking: we recruited over Cross though he seems to be confirming that the staff spelled it out for him.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-why-burrows-star-will-keep-rising-just-frosts-luck-and-a-word/article_98466fea-a521-5544-b1a1-c20e22b15dd3.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

image.png

Yeah, see I disagree with this. Before Kevin announced his transfer, I described him as either a way -undersized big man with A+ skills or a wing with average skills and athleticism. He might raise the ceiling on his athleticism, but he's probably topped out on size. I like the kid, but I don't ever see him being an impact player for us, and I think he could be an absolute stud at a mid-major program. I think he's smart finding a place where he could really leave a mark. I see his trajectory being a lot like Jeriah Horne. And that's not a bad thing at all.

Edited by Norm Peterson

10 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Actually wasn't hard to find someone worse in that particular month. Gallegos went 11-53 in Feb of 2013. 

I went barking up the wrong tree.  I was looking at JPJ’s senior season.  He had a ton of clunkers but would slide one good game in to keep the shooting percentage in the mid 20’s.  Good call on Gallegos....I had forgotten all about that.

The only way we reach the top is with exceptional talent.  Given our past, we have not had great luck developing 2 and 3 star players into top echelon talent...sure, a few, but obviously not enough. 

We are now going all in, or seemingly so, of building through the transfer market. We will see comings and goings until we see the jimmy's and joe's that can challenge the top ten talent across the globe.

Within the next two years, we should see the results.  SHOULD.  Perhaps then we will see a bit more stability within the roster.

On 4/24/2020 at 9:17 PM, busticket said:

I went barking up the wrong tree.  I was looking at JPJ’s senior season.  He had a ton of clunkers but would slide one good game in to keep the shooting percentage in the mid 20’s.  Good call on Gallegos....I had forgotten all about that.

Then the next season Senior Reyes Gallegos helped NU get back to the Big Dance after a 16-year hiatus.

And the dude (#15) still remains active ballin' internationally, last I had heard. . .

Edited by AuroranHusker

5 minutes ago, PimpMario said:
On 4/21/2020 at 3:29 PM, unl said:

Nebraska is now slated to bring back 21.6% of its points, 19.3% of its 3-pointers and 32.8% of its rebounds from last season. Per Chris Heady. 

How can it possibly be that high

... especially with Brant Banks not returning this season.