Kevin Cross is leaving

kldm64

37 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Keep an eye on D2 guard Trevor Lakes from UIndy to take the newly open scholly. 

So if McGowens and King are eligible this year and everyone stays, Lakes would be the 7th Senior for 2021-2022. Do I have that right?

I really liked Cross.  He was a bit feast or famine but he was a true freshmen playing with a bunch of guys who just showed up in the fall, including the coaches.  He had a chance to be a solid contributor but the reality is he was being over recruited, which is the coaches job.  Cross was maybe 6’6” which was always going to be an obstacle to overcome.  At least he gave us a few bright spots in a pretty dismal season.  Best of luck young man!

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/mens-basketball/kevin-cross-transfers-after-freshman-season-with-nebraska-mens-basketball/article_ef71eb36-1e2c-5711-bd24-512f2b56dafc.html

Cross is a 6-foot-8, 240-pound forward from Little Rock, Arkansas, who came to Nebraska through connections of assistant Doc Sadler. Lightly recruited out of high school, Cross was a pleasant surprise early in the season, scoring in double digits in four of the Huskers' first six games. But he proved inconsistent, finishing with 7.1 points per game and 3.9 rebounds. He scored 23 points in the season finale against Indiana in the Big Ten tournament.

Though Cross played the five last season, he would've likely been fighting for playing time at the wing with Nevada transfer Shamiel Stevenson, a 6-foot-6 and 245-pound forward, and 6-foot-5, 240-pound Teddy Allen.

I always liked to think of him as “Baby Barkley”, was hoping he stuck around but oh well 😔, what does that mean for Arop now & are remaining roster spots? *Also* what are the odds of seeing a “virtual” on-line Husker scrimmage late summer...? (I’m joking 🙃 of course) According to Moose tho the Spring Game was the “TALK of the NATION”, forgive if I’m not swept up in the Football programs momentum.

4 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

And being replaced with better talent. The entire point of coaching is to recruit talent better than what you have. The guys we had are going to places like South Alabama, Pacific, etc. We are in the Big 10 and need Big 10 players. They were bodies in a lineup and we will continue to get more and more players in that fit the mold. 

This times 1k.  KamdyMan one of the best and perhaps most overlooked posters on any forum as he does it with first class and no controversy.  

4 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I’ve resigned myself to the thinking that college basketball (and football) have changed to this transfer in/out as the new normal.  It’s happening all over, not just NU. At times, I was super frustrated by Cross. I didn’t think his motor or want to always was set at a high level. But then he’d show some flashes where I’m like, OK! We can work with this. Thought he had some nice skills that could continue to develop.  Best of luck to him! 

And if the everyone gets one free transfer without having to sit goes into effect for next year like most seem to think it will, the transfer portal will crash due to the high volume of users.

7 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

And if the everyone gets one free transfer without having to sit goes into effect for next year like most seem to think it will, the transfer portal will crash due to the high volume of users.

It’s why I have a hard time believing they will allow it for the 20-21 season with the vote happening in May or early June per reports.  You’d have too much movement with so little time for teams to get their roster situated. 

4 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

It’s why I have a hard time believing they will allow it for the 20-21 season with the vote happening in May or early June per reports.  You’d have too much movement with so little time for teams to get their roster situated. 

I’m not a fan of the idea but Washut says the UNL coaching staff expects every one of the transfers to be eligible. 

5 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

So roughly the equivalent of 100x more than we brought back heading into last season!

Also, I agree it sucks to see so many kids leaving but at the end of the day, we won 7 games last year.  Things will get better.

It’s more of a good thing than a bad thing. But, that doesn’t make it any less true. It’s just crazy to think about when we had two seniors. 

1 hour ago, TheKamdyMan said:

That is what I have read to but there is a good argument to be made. If it’s approved this summer, kids will argue and rightfully so that they are being punished a whole year that other going forward will not. I have also read the whole covid issue will also play heavily. Be interesting to see how it shakes out but I would not be surprised if everyone is eligible right away if it passes.

I just hope the season starts as normal and we get a chance to see these guys as soon as possible, excited for the future.

Cross went 10 for 48 from the field in the month of February.  I dare say, that is unmatched in Nebraska history, possibly in Big Ten history, possibly in major conference history.

That said, I did not want him to transfer out,  and good luck to him. I think he'll end up having a fine career if he puts in the work.  Being an inexperienced and undersized post player, playing with a thrown-together roster that was not deep in talent, and playing in the deepest and most physical conference in the country was not a recipe for success for him last year.

On 4/21/2020 at 10:34 PM, Dead Dog Alley said:

Cross went 10 for 48 from the field in the month of February.  I dare say, that is unmatched in Nebraska history, possibly in Big Ten history, possibly in major conference history.

Actually wasn't hard to find someone worse in that particular month. Gallegos went 11-53 in Feb of 2013. 

Sipple also confirming what most people are thinking: we recruited over Cross though he seems to be confirming that the staff spelled it out for him.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-why-burrows-star-will-keep-rising-just-frosts-luck-and-a-word/article_98466fea-a521-5544-b1a1-c20e22b15dd3.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

image.png

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Sipple also confirming what most people are thinking: we recruited over Cross though he seems to be confirming that the staff spelled it out for him.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-why-burrows-star-will-keep-rising-just-frosts-luck-and-a-word/article_98466fea-a521-5544-b1a1-c20e22b15dd3.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

image.png

See this I somewhat have a problem with.

Cross was a project no doubt, but I'd rather we invest in a guy that we can all see would improve dramatically with an off-season of college nutrition/strength and conditioning if he's willing to stick with the team, continue to work on his shot, become even more comfortable within the system, and battle it out.

If that wasn't the case and he was leaning towards leaving because he wanted more playing time then so be it, but if he was willing to stay I would hope the staff would be more open to developing over the course of 3-4 years rather than insisting to leave. 

21 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Actually wasn't hard to find someone worse in that particular month. Gallegos went 11-53 in Feb of 2013. 

I had successfully put that particular February out of my mind... but that was Ray’s stats from 3, overall from the field he was 17 for 78, 21.8% versus KC’s 20.8%. Cross went 3 for 25 from 3 in February. The line did move back, so it’s not a true comparison any more.

32 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

If that wasn't the case and he was leaning towards leaving because he wanted more playing time then so be it, but if he was willing to stay I would hope the staff would be more open to developing over the course of 3-4 years rather than insisting to leave. 

With the exception of a year where we change coaches, scholarships are guaranteed. He could stay if he wanted to.