Trevor Lakes is N

9 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Yes and no...it's not like they could or would play Yvan for 40 minutes just because he's the only available center. While we might think or hope that Andre and Walker will play better than Yvan that's certainly no guarantee. 

Okay, maybe not third, but definitely not first or he would be starting.

52 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

During today's presser with Hoiberg and Lat it sounded like Lat was playing out of position so I think once we get everyone back you'll see one of Walker/Andre/Yvan on the court most if not all the time

If Lat is a 4, then do he and Lakes play the same spot? If he's cleared, would Lakes be competing for PT with Lat and Thor once Walker and Andre are available? And then the 5 would be some rotation of Walker, Andre and Ouedraogo?

7 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If Lat is a 4, then do he and Lakes play the same spot? If he's cleared, would Lakes be competing for PT with Lat and Thor once Walker and Andre are available? And then the 5 would be some rotation of Walker, Andre and Ouedraogo?

It's really hard to piece together but I think that's generally about right.  About the only thing I think we can truly bank on is that we aren't going to play more than 1 of our traditional posts at one time. 

Here is the article (does not appear to be premium content as the article is available to read).

Article states that Walker will miss the 1st four B1G games then states he will be available for the Michigan State Game on Jan 2nd (which is the 4th conference game). :Signhuh:

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/fastbreak-husker-hoops-ready-for-final-big-ten-tuneup

Edited by Red Don

12 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Here is the article (does not appear to be premium content as the article is available to read).

Article states that Walker will miss the 1st four B1G games then states he will be available for the Michigan State Game on Jan 2nd (which is the 4th conference game). :Signhuh:

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/fastbreak-husker-hoops-ready-for-final-big-ten-tuneup

I think he did the math wrong on this one.  11 game suspension means that we is out our 7 non-con and first 4 conference games. Game 12 is at Purdue on Jan 5th

This if effin huge.

Not that Lakes is like the second coming of Eric Piatkowski or anything.

But because of what his skillset will do for other players on the team.

And that includes pushing Lat. The best stretch 4 will start.

And the best news is we get him back again next year.

36 minutes ago, colhusker said:

While true, what a Debbie Downer! lol

OK, while I have defended Yvan, I don't do it with blinders on, as though I'm unaware of his limitations. He brings a lot to the table. A positive attitude and coachability are probably two of his positive attributes that we don't necessarily directly observe but that appear to be the case based on other things we see from him. Also, he's strong as an ox. Even after he dropped weight, he's still a load to push around on the defensive end. He holds his position pretty well. I think he's a LOT quicker this year than he was a year ago (just look at some of last year's highlights and it'll stand out.)

But where he was limited a year ago remains a problem for him this year. He still has rock-hard hands. He still has trouble getting shots off in congested space near the rim. And, with his broad shoulders and heft, you'd expect he'd be able to clear some room, but he's very limited with the ball in his hands.

I've seen highlight video of Walker from high school. I cannot imagine that he's less skilled now than he was then. Or less athletic. Or less anything related to basketball. And he was a pretty decent player in high school, which is why he got recruited to a place like Tennessee.

So, if you were to ask me to choose between what I see in front of my eyes and what's behind Door #2, and what I know about what's behind Door #2 is what I know about Walker, I'm going to choose Door #2 and feel pretty confident about it. Won't you?

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've seen highlight video of Walker from high school. I cannot imagine that he's less skilled now than he was then. Or less athletic. Or less anything related to basketball. And he was a pretty decent player in high school, which is why he got recruited to a place like Tennessee.

So, if you were to ask me to choose between what I see in front of my eyes and what's behind Door #2, and what I know about what's behind Door #2 is what I know about Walker, I'm going to choose Door #2 and feel pretty confident about it. Won't you?

Yep. Move the 18-year old into a minor role and replace him with an even stronger 22-year old ASAP (Jan. 5) and a much taller and longer 19-year old, when he's fully in shape.

23 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

It really speaks volumes when Coach Fred would rather play a skinny 6'9 kid out of position at the post rather than the incumbent starter at that spot. All the more reason to feel pretty confident in taking a flier on Walker.

Think we'll see Lat and Lakes at the same time at all?