Trevor Lakes is N

38 minutes ago, MandRHusker said:

Xavier & Illinois

Those are just the high majors as there’s a slew of mid/low majors as well after him. 

if he was a grad transfer I bet his offer list would be even larger. Some schools don’t want to use a roster spot for two years to only get one year of play. 

I actually think it’s a smart play as you can’t play everyone so Fred getting guys that have to sit is smart so they don’t have to worry about playing time right away and can learn the system. 

In regards to Xavier offering it tells me quite a bit they reached out day one to offer him. They played Indianapolis in an exhibition game last year. No bigger sign of his abilities to me with a school that saw him up close and personal. 

17 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

I actually think it’s a smart play as you can’t play everyone so Fred getting guys that have to sit is smart so they don’t have to worry about playing time right away and can learn the system. 

With the number of transfers we will continue to bring in I wonder if the eventual removal of the sit-out rule will hurt us chemistry and/or development-wise over the long run. 

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

With the number of transfers we will continue to bring in I wonder if the eventual removal of the sit-out rule will hurt us chemistry and/or development-wise over the long run. 

Matty A was on a radio show a few weeks ago and asked the question about what things might be like with the one time transfer rule in place. He said that you would probably see teams only carry 11-12 scholarship players on a regular basis because you can’t always keep that many guys happy with playing time. 

1 hour ago, TheKamdyMan said:

Matty A was on a radio show a few weeks ago and asked the question about what things might be like with the one time transfer rule in place. He said that you would probably see teams only carry 11-12 scholarship players on a regular basis because you can’t always keep that many guys happy with playing time. 

"I will take the extra scholarship if you're not going to use it"  Every baseball coach in America.

2 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

Say that’s true for every team: 1.5 * 350 = 525 less scholarship players. I bet that would make baseball coaches furious as pointed out. Lots of walk-ons and their parents would be happy though. 

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

Say that’s true for every team: 1.5 * 350 = 525 less scholarship players. I bet that would make baseball coaches furious as pointed out. Lots of walk-ons and their parents would be happy though. 

And at that point, the question has to be asked: "Do FBS football programs really need 85 scholarships?" 

Look at it this way: If basketball coaches use 9-10 players at most but have 13 scholarships, then why not drop to 11? So if football coaches use 45-50 players at most but have 85 scholarships, why not drop to 65 or 70? That's an entire men's soccer or ice hockey program with the extra 15-20 scholarships.

Edited by jayschool

15 minutes ago, jayschool said:

And at that point, the question has to be asked: "Do FBS football programs really need 85 scholarships?" 

Look at it this way: If basketball coaches use 9-10 players at most but have 13 scholarships, then why not drop to 11? So if football coaches use 45-50 players at most but have 85 scholarships, why not drop to 65 or 70? That's an entire men's soccer or ice hockey program with the extra 15-20 scholarships.

Football definitely needs that many. With 24 different starting positions and all the niche positions on top of that, then factor in injuries that happen way more often in football. 

40 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

Football definitely needs that many. With 24 different starting positions and all the niche positions on top of that, then factor in injuries that happen way more often in football. 

I could see a slight reduction based on how many players actually see the field for a football team, but you’re absolutely right about injuries and niche needs. Those coaches also don’t leave scholarships open very often either, showing they believe the need for that many is there.

3 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

FCS football plays with 65 scholarships. They have just as many niche positions, and they play 11-game regular seasons with a 24-team playoff, which means a team could play as many as 16 games per year between Sept. 1 and Jan. 5-10. The most games any FBS team  plays is 15.

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

FCS football plays with 65 scholarships. They have just as many niche positions, and they play 11-game regular seasons with a 24-team playoff, which means a team could play as many as 16 games per year between Sept. 1 and Jan. 5-10. The most games any FBS team  plays is 15.

FCS can give partials too

I think having him and the Asian James Harden for 2021-22 will be huge in terms of having guys that can fill up it by spreading you out mixed in with all of the other players we have on the squad.  Assuming the team sticks together, which seems rare these days, that team will be so junior and senior dominant they should be a damn good team.

15 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

I think having him and the Asian James Harden for 2021-22 will be huge in terms of having guys that can fill up it by spreading you out mixed in with all of the other players we have on the squad.  Assuming the team sticks together, which seems rare these days, that team will be so junior and senior dominant they should be a damn good team.

So in 2021 we'll have the Big Ten's version of the splash brothers?

I'm cautiously optimistic.  Seems to be a carbon copy of Kavas from a year ago, and Kavas didn't really pan out.  I am curious what position he will defend when on D, and whether his shot will transition to P5 basketball. 

I like the fact that he has a year to sit out prior to contributing; hopefully that will be the key to increased productivity compared to Kavas.

8 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm cautiously optimistic.  Seems to be a carbon copy of Kavas from a year ago, and Kavas didn't really pan out.  I am curious what position he will defend when on D, and whether his shot will transition to P5 basketball. 

I like the fact that he has a year to sit out prior to contributing; hopefully that will be the key to increased productivity compared to Kavas.

I guess unless the NCAA decides to go ahead with the 1 time transfer rule change this year?