Hey Everybody

All I can say is it's good to be back. Good to be able to enjoy warm showers again. Looking forward to all the off-season improvement our returning players are going to have. I'm especially looking forward to the improvement in free-throw shooting acumen by significant rotation players like Dachon, Jervay and Cam Mack.

Now, let me dig into some of the threads I missed out on and see how the season went.

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

All I can say is it's good to be back. Good to be able to enjoy warm showers again. Looking forward to all the off-season improvement our returning players are going to have. I'm especially looking forward to the improvement in free-throw shooting acumen by significant rotation players like Dachon, Jervay and Cam Mack.

Now, let me dig into some of the threads I missed out on and see how the season went.

@Norm Peterson I've got some things to tell you....you might want to sit down for this...

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I actually decided after our Wednesday loss in the Big 10 tournie that I would need to take a break from watching sports.  Mentally, I was just discouraged.  Haven't watched any live sport except Horse Racing since that day.  🤣

You like Horse Racing because of the 'certainty?'  :Lol:

Sooooo ...

Last year, we had one scholarship player with returning minutes on the team (Thor.)

This year, barring further departures, it looks like we'll have a grand total of 4 players with returning minutes.

That's still a pretty substantial roster overhaul.

That's not like Hoiberg Year 2; that's more like Hoiberg Year 1, version 2.0.

Adjust expectations accordingly.

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Sooooo ...

Last year, we had one scholarship player with returning minutes on the team (Thor.)

This year, barring further departures, it looks like we'll have a grand total of 4 players with returning minutes.

So, NCAA or bust..... gotcha. 😉

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Sooooo ...

At 7 wins per returning scholarship player, let’s see.....

4 returning scholarship players =  4*7 = 28 wins

Expectations adjusted! 😉

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Sooooo ...

Absolutely true, and expectations in my head are well tempered, but keep in mind that the 4 players with minutes returning (and 3 sit out transfers) all now have a year under their belt in Fred's system.  I expect the transition to Year 1 v2.0 to go slightly more smoothly.

It's hard to say.  The main difference is next year we're going to have favorable individual matchups in every conference game.  Banton, King, Allen, and Stevenson are all abnormal and difficult to prepare for.  We might not have a better overall team, but if we have a couple of advantages I like what we can do.  

We didn't have one favorable matchup in a single conference game we played this year outside of maybe Northwestern.  Cam Mack was as good as a couple of the other PGs in the league, but he wasn't good enough to make any different in the W/L column.  Sometimes Thor could outplay the opposing 4 but not usually.  We had no business winning any conference games.  

If we land Wilheim, Sanogo, or both next season, get ready for a multi-year renaissance.