Recruiting rankings

huskerchode

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2020

I'm not sure if this fits in with a previous thread so I decided to start a new one.  I had not looked at the rankings on ESPN until this morning (for the class of 2020).  I notice that there are 2 young ladies from Nebraska that made the top 100:  #54 Nyayongah Gony from Lincoln HS (committed to Miami, 6-3 F) and #67 Maddie Krull from Millard South (committed to South Dakota, 5-9 PG).  Krull actually comes in a few spots higher than Emily Ryan out of Kansas whom I believe we were recruiting heavily until she committed to Iowa State (although there probably isn't much difference once you get out of the top 20 on these rankings).

I seem to recall discussion about Gony last season but I don't recall if anyone ever mentioned Krull.  We sure could use a PG and the fact we had one in-state makes me think there should have at least been a conversation with her.  Maybe there was and she just wasn't interested?

Gony's athleticism is something we could definitely use and a solid PG is something this team has desperately needed for the past 4 years.  In a state that doesn't produce a lot of DI basketball players, I would like to see NU hang onto more of them (or I suppose they could always go to Creighton, but I'd rather that they commit to NU).

As I understand it, Gong had no intention of going to Nebraska. She is quite possibly the most naturally  gifted athletic girl I've seen come out of Nebraska for years. Excellent inside game.  No limit to her potential. Just needs coaching and playing time against good competition. Kull is a miss too, we didn't get her and no idea why.

Still curious that  we don't seem to get/attract "local" girls. Haven't had lots in the past but have in recent years.  Recruiting is really a tough nut to crack.

34 minutes ago, redsteve said:

As I understand it, Gong had no intention of going to Nebraska. She is quite possibly the most naturally  gifted athletic girl I've seen come out of Nebraska for years. Excellent inside game.  No limit to her potential. Just needs coaching and playing time against good competition

Her sister (6-2 Fwd) hasn't done much in her first two years at Purdue.  I'm no expert by any means but I wouldn't consider her a miss.