Brown to Michigan

Bugeaters1

3 minutes ago, HUD said:

Once your ego is bruised it's hard to overcome.  Who the hell want's to be known as the "beast off the bench" when she was the best player on the team.

One would have thought that Leigha would have told coach, hey I'm thinking about a transfer. 

5 hours ago, nb said:

It is appalling to think that (adults)??  would act in a manner such as yourselves for a kid that put blood, sweat and tears into the program for 2 years and said or did nothing negative about the program or fans.  To continue to assume, speculate and make hurtful and unfair comments about a 19 year old young lady that poured her soul into your program is despicable.  She did nothing to deserve the negative and inaccurate comments from people that have no idea how the process works. It appears that some of you forget these are kids that you are talking about.  As GBR-gpa put it, time to move on.      

No one said that Leigha did anything negative for the program and fans.  In fact-- she did a lot which is why everyone is so touched by her leaving.  Assumptions and speculations are what a message board is for. Whether right or wrong, they are going to happen.  Especially when you get a "no comment" that doesn't clear anything up directly from the source.  She left-- that is why these "comments" are being made.  If you transfer out of a program, people are going to be upset.  You are correct, they are kids, they are making tough decisions.  But part of growing up is learning that decisions have consequences.  Decisions have an effect on not just you but a whole group of other people. 

There are also a whole group of people on this board that invest a lot more time and money into the WBB program than I do.  I've seen multiple posts that have wished Leigha well and nothing that has said anything more negative than the assumption that this was in the works prior to the announcement.  It's disappointing for all of us to lose our best player.  I hope that Leigha is happy-- but you can't expect a fanbase to be all fine and dandy after losing their best player in the off-season that we have experienced.

I just wish she would of went to a top program like UConn, Notre Dame, Louisville. I know she probably wouldn't of started right away but I think she is a lot like Shepard and you put a good team around her and she will be a lot better after some better conditioning.. I freaking love Brown so I am a little salty that she picked a BIG school because now I am going to have to root against her a few times a year. I don't blame her one bit for leaving because she has a great upside that she would never get at Nebraska.

On a second note does it seem like Amy Williams teams so far are very under conditioned as a team? I still think the way she coaches with playing everyone if she had everyone in better condition we should be able to press all game long..

Wild speculation from those who have no facts to truly know (whether biased in favor of or against Leigha, the staff or anyone else) should be treated as wild speculation and nothing more.  Very few people probably know the truth same as with Shepard, Romeo, and other high profile kids that have left. Wild speculation helps no one.   

Something to keep in mind, the Nebraska Coaching Staff saw something in Leigha Brown that other schools apparently did not.  They invested time and effort in identifying, recruiting and securing her commitment.  I am certain the staff is disappointed in her departure, particularly to B1G opponent.  It’s over. Time to move on.

6 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Plenty of posters on here literally chalked it up to just your typical attrition in bball and nothing more.

Plus she doesnt owe any media person anything. Theres nothing to suggest that shes doing anything other than being professional and mature about her situation.

You are giving off a huge douchey "im right and all of you are wrong" vibe in regards to this topic, when its not really warranted.

Edited by khoock

I am sure it will be nice to have her parents only 2 hours away vs. the 10+ the last couple of years. Not sure how often they came to Lincoln but unless there is bad weather, they should make most of her games the next two years she plays. I do think there is more going on with the program than we know. It may have figured into her decision and maybe not. As for the quick decision on Michigan I do know on the VB side they often talk to their club coach and they know these coaches at the schools and put feelers out about a possible transfer and it goes from there. Not saying this is what Leigha did but I am sure it happens on the BB side as well. Maybe Michigan was someplace she wanted to go but they showed no interest coming out of HS. She definitely changed that with her two years at Nebraska. Best of luck to her. I know I will be keeping an eye on her stats from time to time. 

11 hours ago, khoock said:

You are giving off a huge douchey "im right and all of you are wrong" vibe in regards to this topic, when its not really warranted.

Bugs1 did post this on the prior page.  (may have been just poorly worded or expressed, I can't tell for sure. :Redface: )

On 4/6/2020 at 12:17 PM, Bugeaters1 said:

It can't be homesicknes, IT HAS TO BE A COACHING THING.

not too sure this isn't a good move for all and just bear with me a bit.  we can easily make up the talent lost if we play as a team.  i got sick of 5 individuals playing for themselves last year.

rebounding by mad scramble and NO ONE boxing out for teammates.  1 on 1 defense and no helping out.  wild shots no dishing on drives.  6 or 7 individual game plans on offense no real team work.  this season was just painful to watch ( might have been the most painful cause we had despite comments from others about recruiting.  this team was easily talented enough to win 20+). if Porter lives up to the billing by some, our team can be much much better.  Cayton, Haiby, Kissinger, Porter, Bourne and Cain if all can stay healthy that's a pretty strong top 6.

2 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

Caveman, I agree with ALL of that.  I grant you the hypothetical (we can overcome the talent loss with better teamwork), But what reason is there to believe that any of that will change?  What if we mired down with all those same teamwork deficits but with less talent? 

Then we have another shitty season.

8 hours ago, caveman said:

not too sure this isn't a good move for all and just bear with me a bit.  we can easily make up the talent lost if we play as a team.  i got sick of 5 individuals playing for themselves last year.

rebounding by mad scramble and NO ONE boxing out for teammates.  1 on 1 defense and no helping out.  wild shots no dishing on drives.  6 or 7 individual game plans on offense no real team work.  this season was just painful to watch ( might have been the most painful cause we had despite comments from others about recruiting.  this team was easily talented enough to win 20+). if Porter lives up to the billing by some, our team can be much much better.  Cayton, Haiby, Kissinger, Porter, Bourne and Cain if all can stay healthy that's a pretty strong top 6.

So you think that is on the players, not on the coach?

7 hours ago, rand909 said:

So you think that is on the players, not on the coach?

I don't think it's one or the other per se.  Thing is when changes need to be made you are either on board or not.  I find it interesting to note that all that left were from the same class.  Miss Mershon had her role deminished when Miss Bourne on board.  That's normal attrition I get it.  Miss Verbeeck second half of conference season still not sure what she was doing.  Hang out at the 3pt. line and give well frankly little effort inside.  I'm going to say she was not on board with what her role needed to be.  As for Miss Brown she probably felt her game fit better with Michigan verses the role, which by the way needs to happen, dish to the "bigs" or kick it back out to the shooters.  I don't really know, but I do think treated correctly this can be positive for both her and the Big Red.

• 5 weeks later...

one thing i will say is the passion for/about the game isn't missing from coach...no matter what side you may fall on.

i have watched her on the sidelines from the time she was at USD and now at Nebraska. i think most will agree about that part, anyway.

for whatever reason, maybe last years squad just wasn't a good mix. kinda like raising children---sometimes you can scream and holler or talk all you want, but, sometimes it just doesn't soak in. just hope things are on the upswing from here on out. (man, i need this virus thing to be over 😂🤣😂)

Edited by whoopdeedoo