WBB Blog

Bugeaters1

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35970178/womens-college-basketball-transfer-portal-rankings-2023-24

1. Kiki Jefferson    6'1"  sr   James Madison

2.Lexi Donarski    6'0"   jr    ISU

3. Shayeann Day-Wilson  5'6"  soph   Duke

4. Jayda Curry    5'6"   soph   California

5. Kennedy Todd-Williams   6'0"   jr  NoCar

6. Kennedy Fauntleroy    5'7"   fr   Georgetown

7. Maria Gakdeng   6'3"   so   Boston College

8. Jade Walker   5'7"   so  Kentucky

9.  Alanna Micheaux   6'2"  soph Minnesota

10. Destinee Wells  5'6"  jr  Belmont

11.  Kayla Padilla   5'9"   sr  Penn

12.  Paris Clark   5'8"  fr  Arizona

13. Matilda Ekh   6'0"  so MSU

14.  Taina Mair   5'9"  fr  Boston College

15. Maddie Nolan   5'11"  sr   Michigan

16. Camille Hobby   6'3"  sr  NC State

17.  Lauren Ware   6'5"   soph   Arizona

18.  Fannie Hottinger  6'1"  sr  Lehigh

19. Jamya Mingo-Young  sr   Alabama

20.  Amber Brown  6'0"  soph  Pitt

21.  Destiny Adams  6'3"  soph  North Carolina

22.  Tirzah Moore   6'0"  soph  Oral Roberts

Donarski from ISU is intriguing. Anyone know where she is from? If she’s from Iowa, that would give NU an advantage seemingly - she could transfer to Lincoln and still be relatively close to her hometown and family. On the flip side of that coin, I don’t know if she would be attracted to Iowa. It ain’t like she’s gonna  come in and supplant Clark in the starting lineup. Might be much easier for her to secure a starting spot at Nebraska next season. 

5 minutes ago, Neb Nets said:

Donarski from ISU is intriguing. Anyone know where she is from? If she’s from Iowa, that would give NU an advantage seemingly - she could transfer to Lincoln and still be relatively close to her hometown and family. On the flip side of that coin, I don’t know if she would be attracted to Iowa. It ain’t like she’s gonna  come in and supplant Clark in the starting lineup. Might be much easier for her to secure a starting spot at Nebraska next season. 

Wisconsin, i believe.....yep, LaCrosse

Edited by whoopdeedoo

there are a number that would be great.....Donarski, definitely

i have watched Moore from ORU play (on tv) a few times. just wonder if she might be a possibility? she is good! Summit FOY. i see she is from Oklahoma though. wouldn't doubt she ends up with Baranzyck (sp)

Edited by whoopdeedoo

19 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Not sure if Lauren ware would ever think about coming here but she would be helpful on the inside play. I know we were close to getting her originally. She is injury prone like most transfers we pick up lol

well, there is the Bismarck connection (or, could be with Nissley). i know Minny recruited her hard.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

https://frontofficesports.com/star-studded-womens-final-four-matchup-could-set-ratings-record/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FOS%20AM%20March%2028%202023&utm_content=FOS%20AM%20March%2028%202023+CID_04680c4b64e3818fd99978b6b84f39d0&utm_source=FOS%20Daily%20Newsletter&utm_term=Star-Studded%20Womens%20Final%20Four%20Matchup%20Could%20Set%20Ratings%20Record

The women’s Final Four in Dallas will feature the most anticipated matchup of the season: the South Carolina Gamecocks and the Iowa Hawkeyes.

The game could easily set a record for the most-watched women’s semifinal in the past decade — and top the 2013 Notre Dame-UConn matchup that drew three million viewers. 

It will be a showdown between the best defensive and offensive programs that women’s college basketball offers. 

• South Carolina’s Aliyah Boston has a resume that’s too long to list — but highlights include the 2022 Naismith Defensive Player of the Year and multiple overall Player of the Year accolades.
  • Iowa’s Caitlyn Clark is a Naismith Player of the Year finalist and the first men’s or women’s player to post a 40-point triple-double in the NCAA tournament.

Another factor: a trend of skyrocketing ratings during recent Final Fours, no matter the matchup. 

40 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

there is a RUMOR out there.....repeat, a rumor that Cameron Brink of Stanford might transfer to Iowa.😲

find it HARD to believe, but, could you imagine? with all the conference crap going on....who knows?

That would deff be interesting. And good for them. I think we would be in that same situation if yori was still here. And I hope it's also looked at how good Iowa is doing what needs to change at nebraska cuz Williams will never get to Iowa level

I find it hard to believe Brink would leave Stanford. Yes she has a year left, or two if she wants to use her covid year. As hard as it is to get into Stanford unless she is very unhappy there you just do not hear about many athletes leaving. Certainly a degree from Stanford carries more weight than one from Iowa. It is or was her dream school. I guess stranger things can happen but just don't see it.

37 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

I find it hard to believe Brink would leave Stanford. Yes she has a year left, or two if she wants to use her covid year. As hard as it is to get into Stanford unless she is very unhappy there you just do not hear about many athletes leaving. Certainly a degree from Stanford carries more weight than one from Iowa. It is or was her dream school. I guess stranger things can happen but just don't see it.

unless it's possible she would finish classes this summer? idk

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

That would deff be interesting. And good for them. I think we would be in that same situation if yori was still here. And I hope it's also looked at how good Iowa is doing what needs to change at nebraska cuz Williams will never get to Iowa level

Please shout out the last sentence of your post for the people in the back. 🙌

current and past Naismith winners:

add Caitlin Clark for 2023

Iowa has had 2 of the past 5 Naismith winners

since 1983, the only 2 the Big Ten has produced (Rutgers had Sue Wicks in 1988 but as we all know, not part of Big Ten)

2022 Aliyah Boston South Carolina
2021 Paige Bueckers UCONN
2020 Sabrina Ionescu Oregon
2019 Megan Gustafson Iowa
2018 A'ja Wilson South Carolina
2017 Kelsey Plum Washington
2016 Breanna Stewart UCONN
2015 Breanna Stewart UCONN
2014 Breanna Stewart UCONN
2013 Brittney Griner Baylor
2012 Brittney Griner Baylor
2011 Maya Moore UCONN
2010 Tina Charles UCONN
2009 Maya Moore UCONN
2008 Candace Parker Tennessee
2007 Lindsey Harding Duke
2006 Seimone Augustus LSU
2005 Seimone Augustus LSU
2004 Diana Taurasi UCONN
2003 Diana Taurasi UCONN
2002 Sue Bird UCONN
2001 Ruth Riley Notre Dame
2000 Tamika Catchings Tennessee
1999 Chamique Holdsclaw Tennessee
1998 Chamique Holdsclaw Tennessee
1997 Kate Starbird Stanford
1996 Saudia Roundtree Georgia
1995 Rebecca Lobo UCONN
1994 Lisa Leslie USC
1993 Sheryl Swoopes Texas Tech
1992 Dawn Staley Virginia
1991 Dawn Staley Virginia
1990 Jennifer Azzi Stanford
1989 Clarissa Davis Texas
1988 Sue Wicks Rutgers
1987 Clarissa Davis Texas
1986 Cheryl Miller USC
1985 Cheryl Miller USC
1984 Cheryl Miller USC
1983 Anne Donovan Old Dominion
WERNER LADDER NAISMIH MEN'S COLLEGE COACH OF THE YEAWERNER LADDER NAISMITH WOMEN'S COLLEGE COACH OF THE 

• 4 weeks later...

For 2023, UCLA has the #32 prospect Amanda Muse (CA) coming in plus transfer portal player Lauren Betts (CO) coming who was the #1 prospect the season before, coming in.

But wait, there's more. UCLA had the #1 recruiting class in 2022, including three top-25 players (ESPN) that included the #2 player. So UCLA now has the #1 and #2 players from 2022 plus 2023 and 2024 coming in. UCLA finished this season ranked #14 and now has all that coming through. Whew! 

But wait, there's more.

USC also joining the Big Ten at the same time has two 2023 top-50 prospects coming in, including the #1 prospect in the nation, both from the West Coast. USC was in the NCAA tournament this season and around the #34 team.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/6/8/media-center-panel-approves-flopping-rule-in-womens-basketball.aspx

i was listening to Sip, Bill, and Jake.........i completely agree with them on getting rid of the 'arrow'. bring the jump ball back to college basketball. both men and women's game!!!

I like the arrow.  5'3" and 6'5" isn't much of a contest, so why would I try to force a jump ball if I was the 5'3"?

15 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/6/8/media-center-panel-approves-flopping-rule-in-womens-basketball.aspx

i was listening to Sip, Bill, and Jake.........i completely agree with them on getting rid of the 'arrow'. bring the jump ball back to college basketball. both men and women's game!!!

A bit off topic (NBA) but, have you noticed lately, players are tipping the ball (on jump balls) on the way up?  Bam Adebayo did it at least twice last night versus the Nuggets. Didn't think that was allowed.