WBB Blog

Bugeaters1

20 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Watson was a very impressive player in the tournament.

yes.........was doing a little reading on her. can shoot the 3, but, appears to be very good on the defensive side of the ball. she is no longer listed on the Yotes roster. so, i am assuming she has notified the Yotes she is not returning. Krull is still listed.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Per the WBB tweet, Logan Seiser is being included in the recruiting process.  He is still listed as  video and creative content coordinator for the team.   Since the Love incident in February, I think he as been helping out quite a bit.   Here is Seiser's info on the Husker page: 

https://huskers.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/staff/logan-seiser/130 

Apparently, Williams thinks a lot of him and his help with the team (possibly an assistant at some point soon).   Meanwhile, the Love fiasco apparently drags through the University and State HR process, without an announced resolution to date (nearly 2 months after the incident)!

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33803721/women-college-basketball-transfer-rankings-2022-23-season

The Maryland Terrapins, Louisville Cardinals, Tennessee Lady Volunteers, South Florida Bulls, Georgia Lady Bulldogs and LSU Tigers are among the most active teams in the portal both in acquiring players and losing them. The Terps lost two stars and another part-time starter, but also gained three potential starters. The Tigers and Bulldogs will have almost completely reworked rosters because of the portal.

(article has Top 30 Impact transfers and Top 15 available transfers)

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Following-up on this post above; Here's a little something to think about when watching WBB Games!!!

Men were prohibited from watching WBB Collegiate games prior to 1927 (and WBB games were prohibited from 1927 until 1972)

(So, No :Drool:allowed :wink:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_basketball

Women's basketball began in the fall of 1892 at Smith College. Senda Berenson, recently hired as a young "physical culture" director at Smith, taught basketball to her students, hoping the activity would improve their physical health....... basketball became the first women's team sport, followed shortly after by hockey. :Signhuh:

Despite participating in the first intercollegiate women's basketball game, Stanford's faculty athletic committee banned intercollegiate competition for women, first in team sports like basketball and later extending to all sports, and Cal (as well as many other prestigious colleges at the time) followed suit. In many cases, such bans were not lifted until the 1970s and the introduction ot Title IX.

Despite men being forbidden from watching these collegiate games, the attire (bloomers over stockings) still drew public ridicule.

related a bit to Red Don's post above on the history of girls bb. some of you may have figured out i am from South Dakota. i have no idea if any of the forum members have any ties to SD. SD Public Broadcasting has a documentary on the history of SD girls bb. it is very interesting. i'll provide the link in case anyone enjoys a little history (albeit, from SD). it is 56 minutes long. i'm guessing coach williams has seen this!😉

https://watch.sdpb.org/video/south-dakota-specials-play-like-a-girl/

that ol' saying..."rich keep getting richer"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

have always wondered about this......but, it is what it is. (re: acl injuries)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/john-shipley-ncaa-hyperextended-summer-224100277.html

"Now that NCAA student-athletes are paid a stipend and finally allowed to share the profits of the billion dollar industry they drive, it’s easier to accept the fact that being a big-time college athlete is a full time job. And maybe the students like playing basketball virtually all year round. I probably would, especially if there were a 24-hour kitchen available for refueling. And maybe the consistent time with coaches and staff really does make them better players, a desirable situation for athletes who aspire to spending at least some time making real money for playing basketball.

Maybe this is counter-productive. Perhaps a breather is in order.

There is something to be said for an offseason, too, and not just a year off because you’re recovering from surgery."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2022-08-05/di-womens-basketball-committee-announces-2023-championship-format

"The 2023 championship regional rounds will move to a two-host format, with eight competing teams playing at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina, and eight at Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle.

The committee determined that each site would host two regional semifinal games March 24 and two March 25. In addition, each site will host a regional championship game March 26 and one March 27. 

The committee also confirmed that the 68 teams participating in the 2023 championship will be announced on Selection Sunday, March 12, as part of the ESPN selection show. The First Four opening-round games of the 2023 championship will take place March 15-16 and will again be conducted on the campuses of teams seeded in the top 16. As it was in 2022, sites will be selected based on bracketing principles and procedures. All sites bidding to host first- and second-round games must agree to host a First Four game, as well. The First Four, first and second rounds, and Selection Sunday will continue to be conducted in this format through 2027, with the committee conducting a preliminary-round format review after the 2025 championship. That review will be inclusive of the First Four, first and second rounds, and regional formats and locations." 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch Iowa take on UNK last week? They are going to be the real deal. Its going to be hard to not cheer for them as they have a legit chance to make it a ways besides when they play Nebraska. 

Clark will still be annoying to watch but to see a BIG team make it a ways will be fun to watch. 

**** UNLESS THEY CHOKE AGAIN*****

espn.com's "best case-worst case" scenario's...

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34933429/women-college-basketball-top-25-how-far-team-go

#21 Nebraska:

Best case: Alexis Markowski becomes the best post player in the Big Ten, Jaz Shelley becomes an even stronger presence with her versatility and Sam Haiby (knee), originally thought to be out for the season, is able to return, just in time for a Cornhuskers' run to the Sweet 16.

Worst case: Haiby's leadership is missed and despite another solid season, Nebraska can't break through the upper-echelon teams in the Big Ten. The Huskers finish sixth and once again fail to win an NCAA tournament game. -- Creme

Edited by whoopdeedoo

3 hours ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Anyone watch Iowa take on UNK last week? They are going to be the real deal. Its going to be hard to not cheer for them as they have a legit chance to make it a ways besides when they play Nebraska. 

Clark will still be annoying to watch but to see a BIG team make it a ways will be fun to watch. 

**** UNLESS THEY CHOKE AGAIN*****

I agree with much of what you say, but, it won't be hard for me, to not cheer for them.  This isn't an 'across the board, hate Iowa' thing'.  I'm not a fan of this Iowa WBB team.  And yes, Clark is a big part of that.  FWIW, I enjoy watching the 'clones WBB team play.