WBB Blog

Bugeaters1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see CHARLIE CREME  now has us in the proposed NCAA brackets. Some are now paying attention. A bit early but nice to see.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30423107/ncaa-women-bracketology-2022-women-college-basketball-projections

Edited by redsteve

i had never heard of the type of injury Paige Beuckers of UConn suffered (non-contact). i kinda wonder if she will play the rest of this season. Geno may be extra careful with this one.

here is one opinion about it...

Former Orthopedic nurse, now physical rehab, here: this is not a good injury at all despite being better than a ligament injury, clearly. The tibial plateau is right under your knee cap, and directly involved in the stability of several tendons. Depending on the severity of her fracture it’s possible that the entire plateau broke off the tibia as well, which is called a displaced fracture.

The treatment is generally no surgery but it’s full (typically more like 8-12 weeks) non-weight bearing on that leg depending on progress and her personal recovery time (note: it’s usually a 3-4 month recovery time so even 6-8 weeks seems very optimistic). She’ll be wearing a knee immobilizer as well the entire time to prevent her from bending her knee while the bones re-knit in place. She’ll definitely not be in game shape for a while even after her recovery as she won’t be able to do exercise that leg at all essentially.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Up to #6 seed in creme projections 3 days ago!! Hope we keep it up

i understand what you are saying.........great chemistry, deep bench. however, things are about to get much tougher. hope they can protect PBA. imo, road wins are not gonna come easy, for the most part. but, wow......i think this is one of the best husker teams to come along in awhile.

In last weeks call in show I asked coach Williams if she has considered playing Kendall Coley some at the wing (3 position) which could cause some matchup problems for the teams we play and free up more playing time for Alexis and Annika.  She said that she and Kendall sat down earlier this year and discussed where Kendall playing position wise could help this years team the most.  They both felt at this time forward would be the best especially since we have currently 7 guards.  I personally would like to see a reserve team consisting of Allison W. at point. Ruby P. at the 2.  Kendall C. at the 3 and Alexis M. and Annika S. at the forwards.  That team could hold their own against our present 5 starters.  Either way our depth is going to help us win a lot of games.

:Cool:
The perfect family Christmas: Amy Williams not the only one in the Gusso family undefeated this season

The basketball is really good for the Gusso family right now.

The college season is in its second month, and sisters Amy Williams (Nebraska) and Emilee Thiesse (Minnesota State) are each the head coaches for teams that are still undefeated.

The Huskers are 12-0, and the Mavericks are 11-0.

“We both are headed into Christmas undefeated,” Amy Williams said.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the Maryland - Indiana game today (Sunday)  Indiana won by about 6 or 7....free throws at end of game ..OT

Generally Maryland is athletic and has a couple of tall girls. An athletic team, but not overly skilled.  Kind of "bulls" their way around. Not much organization offensively.

Indiana is a more cerebral type team.....slow down half court calculated TEAM game. Few turnovers, or bad passes, or mistakes. Works to get the ball down low, to the post, and/or drives to shoot the 10-15 footer. Doesn't shoot the 3 much, but pretty accurate shooters overall. 

While they have a very good post, their guards are very good at running offense, and controlling the game. They will probably do well in NCAA tourney.

Both teams play only a few bodies most of the game. Not much subbing going on. 

Edited by redsteve

On 12/20/2021 at 2:07 PM, HUD said:

In last weeks call in show I asked coach Williams if she has considered playing Kendall Coley some at the wing (3 position) which could cause some matchup problems for the teams we play and free up more playing time for Alexis and Annika.  She said that she and Kendall sat down earlier this year and discussed where Kendall playing position wise could help this years team the most.  They both felt at this time forward would be the best especially since we have currently 7 guards.  I personally would like to see a reserve team consisting of Allison W. at point. Ruby P. at the 2.  Kendall C. at the 3 and Alexis M. and Annika S. at the forwards.  That team could hold their own against our present 5 starters.  Either way our depth is going to help us win a lot of games.

Didn't see this until today. I think your question is right on the money. Coley is one of our best players but is stuck in a 5 player rotation for 2 spots getting too few minutes and playing out of position. Obviously Alexis should be playing more too, and this rotation is the reason why she can’t. Amy’s 7 guard 5 big logic is fine for when we can play 12 and win by 50, but flawed for Maryland, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa, etc. (who all unsurprisingly have 7/8 player rotations) when you can't play your whole bench. As the rotation shrinks to maybe 10 for the B10, it will give Amy 5 players for the 3 backcourt spots which is fine, but 5 players for the 2 frontcourt spots is awful for our posts. It’s become a guard’s world and it stinks. I would say to (roughly) play your best 5 guards/wings (Coley being one of them) and your best 3 inside players and go after it like the other top teams do. Why reinvent the wheel?  This team can finish 4th or 5th and make the dance, so it should continue to be a great year.  

• 2 months later...

When Helms left it was a bit concerning, but it didn't seem to have affected NU to much...remarkably the same with our recent departure of a starter.

But the bench and newbies have definitely moved us forward. Circumstances were just right apparently. 

In the next couple of seasons we'll lose a few to graduation.....just will need more recruits and possibly transfers to continue the climb upward. Build the program for the future.

1 hour ago, HUD said:

Every year is different.  Just add a couple of building blocks each year and we will continue the upward climb.  This season we added 3 big ones all being underclassmen.

gonna be interesting to see what Mendelson and Popa can bring to the party. hoping Hake can bring another serious perimeter threat.

From what I've seen of Mendelson on video ......she'll be a BIG ad to the team. The first year drawbacks are...she's an inexperienced (to B1G play) freshman....and she will be concentrating on volleyball all summer and fall. May not get a whiff of basketball until volleyball's completely over. Maybe until the end of Dec. or so.

But on high school video anyway...wow.... 6-5 with serious moves and skill sets.

Popa...no idea really.  Would like to be  a mouse and see her practice.     Hake ?  Again high school rookie.  Would be nice to see another Weidner. :)....or a perimeter shooter.

When they signed Maggie Mendelson  Amy said after she graduated she would come to Nebraska and work out with the WBB team until fall practice started for WVB and the be with that program until the season was finished.  She would take a little time off and then rejoin the WBB program.  Sounds workable to me.

13 hours ago, HUD said:

When they signed Maggie Mendelson  Amy said after she graduated she would come to Nebraska and work out with the WBB team until fall practice started for WVB and the be with that program until the season was finished.  She would take a little time off and then rejoin the WBB program.  Sounds workable to me.

So about Jan 1 next  year. Anika or Popa are told you are done for the year, we got this new hotshot on the team. But hang in there, you will be allowed to play the non conference next year.  Why not play VB until  Nov 1 then BB.  She is on BB scholarship and basketball pays better after collage than VB.

7 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

So about Jan 1 next  year. Anika or Popa are told you are done for the year, we got this new hotshot on the team. But hang in there, you will be allowed to play the non conference next year.  Why not play VB until  Nov 1 then BB.  She is on BB scholarship and basketball pays better after collage than VB.

I put my faith in both Cook and Williams that they know what they are doing.  

The Bball team knows the deal.....basketball for Mendelson after Dec. So it won't be a surprise to the players when she comes in. 

The issue could become one of  "we've practiced basketball all summer and fall", and someone comes in and takes my place"  Maybe not replaced right away, but could by the time the regular season starts. But it will take some time to get up to speed to the pace of our play and the teams schemes, and simply the speed of the college game.

It will be as it is...so we'll see how Coach Amy can make it work. Got to think it will be ok