WBB Blog

Bugeaters1

crazy what minnesota keeps putting out...

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, HUD said:

I watched the game and Freeze had a great game plan to stop Clark and Czinano.  22 pts total.  When Iowa beat them earlier they had 70 pts between them.  Talk about an adjustment.  That is coaching at its best.  McCabe played 6 minutes and was 0-2 in three's and had one foul and one turnover.  

maryland also has the athletes to pull that off.

5 hours ago, HUD said:

I watched the game and Freeze had a great game plan to stop Clark and Czinano.  22 pts total.  When Iowa beat them earlier they had 70 pts between them.  Talk about an adjustment.  That is coaching at its best.  McCabe played 6 minutes and was 0-2 in three's and had one foul and one turnover.  

Maryland used a zone defense primarily to control both of them, and the Iowa ball movement and penetration ...and it worked. Well designed concept, and equally well executed.

At the same time Maryland just blasted the basket in the second qtr. and the blowout began. 

McCabe played mostly in the forth after Clark and Czinano (and starters)) were relegated to the bench. Maryland just shut off Czinano. She is all footwork, and not off dibble , so is venerable if you don't give her space, and their zone didn't let the ball come into her. 

The new emphasis by UNL 1980 Initiative (lead by Matt Davidson) is a huge $$ attraction for drawing in players.  Some other schools are deep into NIL money already for women's sports.  

The transfer market is where the money can be a draw.  Football was heavy into it this fall.

One of the top money getters in NIL  (college sports) in a women LSU gymnast Livvy Dunne...valued over $2,500,000

Paige Bueckers UConn BBall ...almost $1,000,000

Edited by redsteve

Regarding Jaz and Issie making some NIL money, I copied a portion of an article on the subject (below).  Looks like  the problem is being looked into. 

The obstacle for them to make NIL money is federal immigration law, not NCAA rules.

The NCAA largely cleared the way in July 2021 for athletes to earn NIL money and deals worth millions have been struck across the country. But the majority of international athletes are on F-1 student visas prohibiting off-campus work except in rare exceptions such as internships or work-study programs. Violations could lead to the visa’s termination, and deportation.

Blake Lawrence, co-founder/CEO of athlete-marketing platform Opendorse, said it is unclear exactly how much international athletes are missing out. But with their presence in men’s and women’s basketball, two of the most marketable and compensated sports, he said it takes merely “deductive reasoning” to know there is an impact.

Now the market is evolving to address it.

“Administrators and coaches are trying to solve this problem, and it will be solved,” Mr. Lawrence said. “It will not be as convenient as driving down the street and signing autographs. But international student-athletes that are having an impact from their community will benefit from NIL. They just might have to take a flight or a longer drive.”

8 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

OSU and Iowa tomorrow for the tourney title. I will give props to the Iowa band for always playing a polka at the end of the game. 

Can OSU beat them? I sure hope so. 

In case I haven’t made it clear, my 2 favorite WBB programs are Nebraska and whoever happens to be playing Iowa 

• 2 weeks later...

taken from the Athletic...

30 anonymous coaches offered their insight

Who's the nation's best X's and O's coach?

Tara VanDerveer              Stanford     11 votes

Geno Auriemma                UConn        4 votes

Jeff Walz                          Louisville      4 votes

Bill Fennelly                       ISU              2 votes

Karl Smesko                     Florida Gulf Coast  2 votes

also receiving votes:

Brenda Frese      Maryland

Kelly Graves       Oregon

Aaron Johnston   So Dak State

Kevin McGuff     Ohio State

Joe McKeown      Northwestern

Lynne Roberts     Utah

Dawn Staley        SoCar

Who's the next big time coach?

1 Lindy LaRocque    UNLV

2 Robin Fralick        Bowling Green

2 Lisa Fortier         Gonzaga

4 Kristen Gillespie     Illinois State

4 Tina Langley         Washington Huskies

4 Molly Miller         Grand Canyon

also receiving votes:

Trish Cullop        Toledo

Denise Dillon      Villanova

Megan Duffy      Marquette

Shauna Green     Illinois

Jan Jensen        Iowa (asst)

Carly Kuhns      Samford

Michaela Mabrey   Notre Dame (asst)

Joy McCorvey     Tennessee (asst)

Carrie Moore      Harvard

Tomekia Reed      Jackson State

Tami Reiss           Rhode Island

Alex Simmons    Gardner Webb

Tameka Williams-Jeter      Dayton

Watched the Iowa St game today. They lost by less than 10 I think. It was one of those games where one team gets ahead by 15 early, and from then on they both trade baskets for the rest of the game, and Iowa St never fully overcame the difference. They weren't very successful from the 3...don't know if they shoot it much normally. ??

But did like Iowa St's game style. Played really hard all 40 min., but didn't look like they ever worked up a sweat. Definitely in good BBall shape. Very active guards....all were pretty quick could drive into the paint and ball handle. Fast pace but not chaos.  Never sat still on the offense. Constant movement.  Anyway, wish we had that sense of urgency all game long. 

See why they win a lot. Looked a little like Indiana.

Michigan plays LSU. next. Expect LSU to real tough for Michigan to able survive. But there's  been upsets in all these men's and women's tourneys. Fun to watch  :)

Edited by redsteve

7 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i'd be on my way to Ames immediately!!!

She's a good one.  When she picked up those two ticky tack early fouls against Toledo, it affected the entire game (IMO).  Terrrible officiating (nothing new).

I hope we are after her. She'd bring a toughness we need.

1 minute ago, 12dozen said:

She's a good one.  When she picked up those two ticky tack early fouls against Toledo, it affected the entire game (IMO).  Terrrible officiating (nothing new).

I hope we are after her. She'd bring a toughness we need.

i just hope she isn't going to wisconsin.......or another Big Ten school😟  (like Indiana?)