Veerbeek and Marshon are gone

redsteve

45 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

It's a huge blow and it was not expected. There's always a chance some combination of players transfer in to make a similar impact to Brown but I'd be surprised. 

There was a rumor she was thinking of transferring.

This is a problem for both mens and womens hoops.

There are over 200 women transferring. This is not unique to Nebraska.

Check the list. Many top schools going thru this.

6 minutes ago, New Husker Fan said:

There was a rumor she was thinking of transferring.

This is a problem for both mens and womens hoops.

There are over 200 women transferring. This is not unique to Nebraska.

Check the list. Many top schools going thru this.

Just because it happens, doesn't mean there isn't a problem.  This isn't all that common for our WBB.  And, it isn't something done with little consideration. I 

imagine it is anything but simple, to transfer.  There is the academic side to consider, credits to transfer, new location, new coaches, new teammates, and the possibility of sitting out a year?  Transferring isn't done on a whim.

13 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

Just because it happens, doesn't mean there isn't a problem.  This isn't all that common for our WBB.  And, it isn't something done with little consideration. I 

imagine it is anything but simple, to transfer.  There is the academic side to consider, credits to transfer, new location, new coaches, new teammates, and the possibility of sitting out a year?  Transferring isn't done on a whim.

I agree there could be a problem. To what extent? Play time, coaching style??

Disagree. It is getting to be very common.

Here is a list of just BIG 10 schools for 2019-2020:

Penn State - 5

Ohio State - 3

Wisconsin - 3

Maryland, Rutgers, Minn, Indiana - 2 each.

Some other schools:

North Carolina -5

Auburn - 7

Nevada - 7

Georgetown - 6

So all these coaches are the problem??

Edited by New Husker Fan

11 minutes ago, New Husker Fan said:

I agree there could be a problem. To what extent? Play time, coaching style??

Disagree. It is getting to be very common.

Here is a list of just BIG 10 schools for 2019-2020:

Penn State - 5

Ohio State - 3

Wisconsin - 3

Maryland, Rutgers, Minn, Indiana - 2 each.

Some other schools:

North Carolina -5

Auburn - 7

Nevada - 7

Georgetown - 6

So all these coaches are the problem??

Not familiar with most of these teams situation.  With regard to the BIG 10 teams, my guess, the successful programs are encouraging players to transfer.  Other players might be seeing little or no playing opportunities with their current teams, and looking for greener pastures.  And, I'm sure others might have issues with their coaches. I don't know.  

The only team I'm remotely familiar with is Nebraska. Playing time is not an issue with the players we have leaving.  And, I doubt any of them were encouraged to leave.

Thanks for that info, NewHuskerFan. i was not aware of the number of players transferring out of other Big 10 schools.  I agree with 12x12 that there are explanations other than coaching staff problems that don't apply here --- our transfers were not going to lack for future playing time and it's doubtful that they were asked to leave to make room for future incoming or future recruits. The other factor in the comparative count of transfers out is the number of transfers IN to replace them, and that remains to be seen.  I hope for the best and with, as been pointed out,  over 200 being available, it seems imperative that some come here.  

The only team I pay much attention to is the Huskers and it seems clear that the loss of the three juniors to be leaves the cupboard, for the present,  pretty bare.  

2 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Not familiar with most of these teams situation.  With regard to the BIG 10 teams, my guess, the successful programs are encouraging players to transfer.  Other players might be seeing little or no playing opportunities with their current teams, and looking for greener pastures.  And, I'm sure others might have issues with their coaches. I don't know.  

The only team I'm remotely familiar with is Nebraska. Playing time is not an issue with the players we have leaving.  And, I doubt any of them were encouraged to leave.

1 hour ago, Husker34 said:

I understand that the number of transfers is increasing in women's basketball. However, how many of those listed from other schools are starters or leading scorers on their team. We are not losing players looking for more playing time. I will not be surprised to see more players jump ship. 

More than a few are starters.

And some would probably be starters next year if they stayed with their teams. Just like Brown.

Maryland starting center is transferring. So why??

Why did Notre Dame have so many transfers last year? Starters included.

It happens.

Some here just want to blame the coach. I think it is more than one issue.

The big one for me is all these kids were the top dog on their high school + AAU teams and played most of the minutes in all games.

But Div 1 is a completely different ball game. Not many are going to play more than 25-30 minutes a game for most schools.

Edited by New Husker Fan

As an additional thought .... I can't help but be disappointed with the ongoing export of homegrown talent to other other programs.  I don't pretend to have any insight as to why they don't stay here.  I wonder if a new staff would have any chance to persuade the Markowski girl from Pius to stay home.  From watching her in the recent tourney, looks as tho a team could be built around her post presence. 
Even when yori was the coach here a lot of the players left the state.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

So does anyone know if Amy has a end of season meeting with her players?  Usually a one on one meeting? Maybe if they do the vision Amy has and the vision the player has is two different things? Yes players leave and move on even from great programs with successful seasons. Lots of reasons go into it. We do not know how much this virus maybe playing into these decisions. The concern now is do more players transfer? At this point it would not surprise me. 

Meh-- One starter transfers... ok I can see that at schools.  Two starters transfer... sure that may happen for some schools.  But three likely starters transfering after losing multiple to graduation and one being your literal best player doesn't scream "this happens everywhere" to me.  Sorry, I just don't buy that THIS happens everywhere.  Starters-- sure, lots of transfers-- sure.  But our situation-- no.

I'm not surprised she'd transferring.  Long time ago I commented that I thought she should of been starting (including her freshman year) and that she was getting screwed by her coach.   I said that it wouldn't surprise me if she transferred because what kind of  coach doesn't start your leading scorer?  This coming off the bench for the good of the team was B.S..  If you had 5 super starters then maybe I can see it but we didn't have 5 super starters. What kind of players want to come to NU and possibly be the best offensive player on the team and get stuck on the bench?  You come to play and start.  She should of been leading the team in minutes played by far (instead of 4th in playing time).  I think the experiment with Coach Williams should be ended.  Unless she pulls a rabbit of of her hat, next year is going to look like the men's team did this year.  I would hope Moos would go out and get a top quality coach.  We seem to always have the money to go after top coaches these days.

Look at the comments that have been written on this board thru the season from it's members. While I am not going to track them all down. I would say most on this board are not happy with the product on the court a good part of the time. Granted players can and do have off games but Amy and her staff have been together for quite sometime and this is their 4th year in the B1G together so at this point they should have a good handle on this league. 2-8 to finish the season and those two wins against the bottom of the league. 

Edited by All About the Corn

44 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

Look at the comments that have been written on this board thru the season from it's members. While I am not going to track them all down. I would say most on this board are not happy with the product on the court a good part of the time. Granted players can and do have off games but Amy and her staff have been together for quite sometime and this is their 4th year in the B1G together so at this point they should have a good handle on this league. 2-8 to finish the season and those two wins against the bottom of the league. 

be careful of what you wish for.

2 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

You wonder if mom & dad got into her head a bit. Sorry gpa but I had to say that.

We have always supported Leigha, what ever decision she has chosen for her future.  I can’t say we got in her head as we had different opinions , that we kept to ourselves. We are thankful for the fans cheering her on when we couldn’t be there.  Nebraska will be a part of her story we will always keep with us and we are grateful for the opportunity! 

Edited by small town fan

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

The one thing that is holding me back right now on going out and finding a new coach NOW is everything that is going on in the world.  Do we really want to be going through a coaching search at this time?

Might be a good time to look for a replacement.  Take your time, be thorough.  If memory serves me correctly, Eichorst hired Coach Williams less than a week after Yori resigned.  A bit hasty?  I know, hindsight is 20/20.

26 minutes ago, small town fan said:

We have always supported Leigha, what ever decision she has chosen for her future.  I can’t say we got in her head as we had different opinions , that we kept to ourselves. We are thankful for the fans cheering her on when we couldn’t be there.  Nebraska will be a part of her story we will always keep with us and we are grateful for the opportunity! 

So are you mom or dad? I know her Grandpa is on here as well. Just seems a bit odd that all was fine until Leigha got home and spent some time there. The guy that covers UNL WBB has even said that this was unexpected. Give us some insight on if it was the coach or that Liegha just was home sick.

13 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

You wonder if mom & dad got into her head a bit. Sorry gpa but I had to say that.

None of us knows what goes on between coaches and players. 3 girls were unhappy with their situations and chose to change it. Time to move on.