Veerbeek and Marshon are gone

redsteve

2 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Sad to see both go but it probably best for them.  Mershon was a good rebounder and I hope she doesn’t haunt us playing for Minnesota.  Looks like Bourne will clearly start unless this Stewart girl is really good.  Hopefully, some additional recruits are being lined up.

I don't see Mershon playing much in Minny. will be a role player like she was here.

Mershon will continue to be a role player. Would think she would need to sit a year plus isn't there a rule about in conference transfers losing a year of time as well? With all of the exceptions in the B1G as least on the VB side would not surprise me if all of this has changed or exceptions made if asked for. As for Veerbeek she had a rough second half of the B1G IMHO. Maybe better suited to play in the NAIA. Good luck to both!

Will be interesting to watch for Mershon in a year or so. Sometimes a change in scenery, and a year to grow up some more, may put her in a different place at Minn. . 

And hate to see a good kid go else where. She always seemed  focused, and played hard. And a 6-3 body inside will be missed.....

....the lack of depth inside will be apparent next year, particularly losing Veerbeek too. The staff has to be hunting desperately for more bigs.

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

Will be interesting to watch for Mershon in a year or so. Sometimes a change in scenery, and a year to grow up some more, may put her in a different place at Minn. . 

And hate to see a good kid go else where. She always seemed  focused, and played hard. And a 6-3 body inside will be missed.....

....the lack of depth inside will be apparent next year, particularly losing Veerbeek too. The staff has to be hunting desperately for more bigs.

For sure  Will be interesting to see how this all turns out.  Their regime probably hangs in the balance as to what they can do this recruiting cycle.  Prolly need two grad transfers if they can get ones good enough to play at B1G level, and a couple of freshmen also.  Just spitballin'.  I'm rooting for this staff.

Below is information on Mershon's and Verbeek's time at Nebraska plus some high school information:

>>Kayla Mershon

>Sophomore Year-12 minutes ave; 1.6 ave pts; 2.5 reb/g; third from the bottom with shooting percentage on the team at 0.347

>Freshman Year-17 minutes ave; 3.2 ave pts; 3 reb/g

>High School-12.7 points, 9.1 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.2 steals and 1.5 blocks as a senior at Minnetonka, MN

While at Nebraska she was not a strong scorer as she was not a strong scorer in high school as well.  Her rebounding was good in high school with an average of 9.1 a game.  Her playing time decreased this past season as Bourne got more time as the season went on.   She did not turn the ball over much and tried hard on defense.  Nonetheless, players need to score to help the team win which she was not strong at.   

>>Ashtyn Verbeeck

>Sophomore Year-21 minutes ave; 7.4 ave pts; 4.3 reb/g; third place in shooting % at 0.441

>Freshman Year-17 minutes ave; 6.9 ave pts; 5.5 reb/g

>High School-as a senior for Western Christian, averaging 25.8 points and 14.4 rebounds per game. She shot 52.2 percent from the field, including 34.7 percent from three-point range, while knocking down 81.1 percent of her free throws as a senior.

While at Nebraska Verbeeck had moments of consistent scoring but at times she did not.  Some tendency to get into foul trouble.  Likely if she would  have stayed her scoring likely could have increased as well as her rebounding with nor college seasoning based on her strong senior highschool  year.    Seems like a better offensive scheme would have helped her as well!  She will be missed!

What makes you think it's a locker room issue.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

What makes you think it's a locker room issue.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Don't have any special incite of course, but don't really think they all got home sick... all of a sudden. When three of your better players leave.....Just about has to be other issues. You could feel the fragileness sometimes last season. 

The season going sour again, may have worsened frustration issues, and some second thoughts about what I'm doing here?

And. feel particularly bad for the rest of their teammates.

Edited by redsteve

59 minutes ago, redsteve said:

You’re correct. Girls don’t leave if they’re happy and there is a winning culture. This isn’t about 3 girls who are all homesick. 

Hate to see this but with the current health situation it is understandable a student might feel more comfortable at or near home.  

Maybe Leigha didn’t see the opportunity to win which might be available at IU or Purdue.  Either would be happy to have her.

Regardless of the reason for leaving this is a huge blow to the program.

I really hate this.  I like Coach.  But it has become time for Moos to get involved.  This cannot just be 3 girls getting homesick.  There is a deeper issue here.  We have noted several times that there seems to be a lack of improvement in the players.  Now it appears that Coach has lost (at least a significant part of) the team.  This next year is going to be ugly.  Our returning team is Helms, Brady, Haiby, Cain, Kissinger and Bourne.  Six players!!  Add three freshmen and we are playing without any depth.  With this mess, why would anyone want to transfer in?  

I agree with points made by Karl.  It's unlikely that any players of much ability will transfer in and quite conceivable that more will leave.  Any of those named above have a chance to play out their careers on a winning team - or at least with teammates who play with energy and enthusiasm. Something went terribly wrong with chemistry between/among players and coaching staff this year. The prospect of next season looking like anything other than a dismal wasteland just cannot be escaping the attention of the four players named above. I am so sorry to say it, but I think this is the end of the Williams experiment. It can either end now with a new staff approaching the remaining players and searching the transfer portal with a sense of optimism and enthusiasm or end later after a season filled with embarrassing losses. 

9 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

Would be interested to hear Sam's take on Brown leaving and the state of the program from a media prospective. 

It's a huge blow and it was not expected. There's always a chance some combination of players transfer in to make a similar impact to Brown but I'd be surprised. 

As an additional thought .... I can't help but be disappointed with the ongoing export of homegrown talent to other other programs.  I don't pretend to have any insight as to why they don't stay here.  I wonder if a new staff would have any chance to persuade the Markowski girl from Pius to stay home.  From watching her in the recent tourney, looks as tho a team could be built around her post presence.