VIRUS

redsteve

How's everyone surviving during this virus outbreak? No one ill here, and don't know anyone that has, or had the virus. Rates are very low here. The streets are pretty empty, especially after about 9;00 PM

We're kind of hunkered down here....watching Netfix, the news, Trump daily updates and briefings, etc etc. No sporting events to go to or watch, which sucks. 

Have been to the grocery store...was kind of eerie...people would avoid others in the store, and no one was smiling......pretty serious and going about their business. Some shelves are fairly empty...can goods, disinfectant,  And there is no toilet paper, which is totally weird ! 

Lot of people are kind of running scared. Me not so much. Careful, but not panicking.

WASH YOUR HANDS !!

Edited by redsteve

Similar situation here (Eastern Nebraska).  Zero cases in this county, so far.  Hit the store on occasion.  Grass is 

starting to turn green.  Probably go out and fill mower cans with gas this week.  That is about the only, somewhat 

normal, thing planned.  Take care all.    

• 5 weeks later...

Some conferences are talking about cutting sports. WBB is not one of them. 

On behalf of the Intercollegiate Coach Association Coalition (ICAC), we hereby register our opposition to the request by the Group of Five Commissioners to allow conferences and schools to cut the number of sports sponsored to be considered for Division I status. On April 13, the commissioners of the Group of Five Conferences (American Athletic Conference, Mid-America Conference, Sun Belt Conference, Conference USA, and the Mountain West Conference) sent a letter to NCAA President Mark Emmert, asking for consideration of a reduction in NCAA Division I sports sponsorship minimums. One hundred and thirty schools currently play 85-scholarship football and their sponsorship minimum is 16. The only reason to seek this reduction is to drop sports.

Edited by All About the Corn

• 2 weeks later...

came across this from StarTribune in mpls:

The Gophers athletic department has already lost $4 million in the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic with estimates of losses ultimately reaching as high as $75 million. Now it has to present its plan to navigate those potentially extreme losses to the Board of Regents.

The Board released docket materials for the Friday presentation showing how the athletic department went from forecasting a $1 million revenue surplus in February after successful fundraising efforts and a fruitful football season to losing $4 million by April from canceled facilities rentals and a sharp drop in NCAA distributions, down to $225 million across Division I schools from a projected $600 million.

While the department is saving some money during this time of canceled sports from travel, recruiting and event hosting, the department still will need to work toward a balanced $123 million budget this year. Hiring and spending freezes, reduction in summer school expenses as well as voluntary salary reductions for head coaches and senior staff are all occurring.

The athletic department has not released pay cut specifics, but football coach P.J. Fleck, men's basketball coach Richard Pitino and women's basketball coach Lindsay Whalen all took one-week pay cuts. Per contracts, Fleck was set to earn $4.6 million this year, making his weekly salary about $88,462. Pitino makes $2.4 million annually, putting him about $46,154 per week. And Whalen is making $496,500, putting her at $9,548 per week.

Athletic director Mark Coyle, who will present these strategies to the Board, and others in the athletic department also have taken pay cuts.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

UNL is in a pretty good position money wise. But the well is just so deep of course.  UNL football, volleyball and men's basketball makes money. They pay for  everything else.  Get them open for play asap.  

Good try Minn....A one week pay cut is stupid. Not even close to a drop in an ocean.  Pocket change to "major" sports coaches pay scales.  Heck....25% of a years pay would be meaningful if there's really money problems of a significant scale.... effecting their athletic dept's budget.. 

Pay cuts..cut extra travel, etc etc...but no elimination of sports. 

OPEN BACK UP AMERICA !

Edited by redsteve

geez........thought the word/phrase i wanted to use would have come to me by now. window dressing may be one. recently,  minnesota has stuck $$$ into their sports programs that i thought i would never see. Sid has bitched about this for decades. my dad (rip) would be happy, he was a big gopher fan.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 2 weeks later...

OK, don't have much to do ...locked in the house.....

Written in the Washington Post tells you a lot. It's one of those goofy papers that has crazy ideas some times. Seems like they hate the world

He probably can't throw a baseball or shoot a 3...so anyone interested in a sport is weird for him. 

To each own of course....but why does a  newspaper waste the space for silly stuff like this.? This is the current level of journalism seen today. 

4 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

a column i disagree with in so many ways..

I will take it one step further.  I think it's crap.  If someone doesn't like something like in this case sports then just don't watch or participate.  It would take a long time to compile all the positives of sports competition and viewing. 

My wife and I moved to Lincoln last fall for many reasons including being closer to watch our grand kids participate in their sports events as well as other things.  We got here and really started to enjoy doing that and then the virus hits with everything cancelled.  The worst part for us is not being able to just give them a big hug.  I think we all would like to get back to some kind of normality.

1 minute ago, Tom Jones said:

the writer thinks that George Carlin's birthday is a NATIONAL holiday?   ????  I think that requires a vote of Congress. Anybody can name any day anything they want but c'mon, a national holiday?  I quit reading that goofy article at that point

goofy or not.....just wanted to post what some people are saying. i've run into a few that would lean towards this persons viewpoint given what the world is going through. totally disagree though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bunch of sissies !     😝        😜  I thinks it's Harvard that still won't have people in classes this fall.....a work done online.  How would you like to be paying $50,000 a semester (or whatever their number is)  and no classes meeting.

24 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

Sounds like the Ivy schools will cancel all fall sports. Nothing until after January 1st.

Edited by redsteve

On 5/11/2020 at 1:54 PM, Tom Jones said:

the writer thinks that George Carlin's birthday is a NATIONAL holiday?   ????  I think that requires a vote of Congress. Anybody can name any day anything they want but c'mon, a national holiday?  I quit reading that goofy article at that point

Is he serious ?  Probably just lives to see his name in print. This whole change everything nonsense going on, is just that ...nonsense.

Except the good stuff  that's changing and coming from the women's Husker team.

fwiw...

"The Ohio State athletic department has paused all voluntary workouts following the results of its most recent COVID-19 testing, the university announced Wednesday evening.

Seven teams are affected: football, men’s and women’s basketball, field hockey, men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball. A university source said athletes are not being sent home and the hope is that workouts can resume next week."

would be kind of interesting to know the total number of positive cases that came out of this🤷‍♂️

• 1 month later...

Minnesota's coach whalen gives her thoughts on the upcoming season:

(from Mpls StarTribune)

If it were her decision, Gophers women’s basketball coach Lindsay Whalen would have the Big Ten play a conference-only schedule this season because of COVID-19 concerns.

Last month, the Big Ten announced its fall sports schedules would be conference-only before postponing all competition indefinitely last week. Another decision will come soon for winter sports.

“It makes the most sense as far as being able to get in as many games as possible,” Whalen said Monday. “We’re about the safety and health of the players and the staff.

“We all have the same protocols in the Big Ten. ... When you get out of the conference in a year like this, to me, there are just too many questions as to what each team and what each conference is doing.”