Burke Gone!

Red Don

45 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

ok I'll give you that for his per game averages, but that has nothing to do with his percentages, which were pretty similar to Burke's.

Not that it's a big selling point, but the 25 percent average from deep for King is just last season, when he took only 28 of them. He was at 31 percent the year before, and made 7 of 21 (33 percent) in a limited role as a freshman.

And in 2-point attempts, he's made 52 percent in his career. That's good.

Edited by jayschool

12 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

Burke

12.2 ppg

3.4 rpg

1.27 apg

40.1% FG

30.4% 3

56.6% FT

Kobe King

10.0 ppg

2.8 rpg

1.58 apg

45.9% FG

25.0% 3

67.3% FT

Not saying he wasn't disappointing, but Kobe King had basically the same production at Wisconsin. So I hope you aren't expecting King to tear it up next year.

Not sure how much stock you can put in to Kobe’s stats. He was obviously unhappy...to the point that his teammates said they would find him crying at halftime. That’s certainly going to effect your play. 

No offense to Burke who I think could be a very solid player under a different system but he doesn’t have the natural talent that King does IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Glass half full: High level recruit, averaged 10 ppg in the BIG so you know he can score

Glass half empty: Wisky played their best ball after he left

Remember Nebrasketball did that after Deverell Biggs had been asked to leave. It happens.

I'm fairly high on Kobe King, he'll be plenty motivated to prove he's legit. And same can probably be said for Kobe Webster, and he has only 1 year to do it; even more motivation in my eyes!

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Glass half full: High level recruit, averaged 10 ppg in the BIG so you know he can score

Glass half empty: Wisky played their best ball after he left

Wisky would've played their best ball if he had stayed, too.  They have a good coaching staff and system that works essentially every year.  

I'm thrilled to have this kid.  Our lineup with him and Allen is going to bring some beef to the B1G, which is exactly what we lacked with Burke and Cheatham (though both B and C were tough players).  Mack is skinny as hell too.  King is also a notable finisher at the rim, and he's going to get a lot opportunities at the rim with Fred's system.  Burke missed basically every shot he took at the rim.

I'll also go and a limb and say King shoots it above 30% from 3 next season with Fred's coaching.  

To me the surprising thing when looking at Burke's stats was his low assist% compared to his days at Robert Morris. I think he would have fit more with Miles' dribble drive type offense and him out front on a 1-3-1 would have been pretty good as well.

I think Hoiberg is a good coach.    Glad we have him.  If I were to critique his efforts this year (as an uninformed fan)  I would point at shot selection by his players and player roles.  So what I am thinking is you have some guys are taking way too many 3's when either they should stay with driving to the hoop or setting screens or crashing boards.   They just don't shoot well enough for me to get a green light other than taking the occasional 3.   The other is jacking up 3's  from long long range or taking contested 3's or shooting 3's with no rebounders or crashers. 

The problem with my critique is that Hoiberg's offense demands that all his players or at least 4 of the 5 be able to shoot the ball and to play at a fast tempo.  So I am trying to adjust to the philosphy.   I would still like Hoiberg to better define player's roles in this offense to the skills that they can execute.   

REDitus he ran his system with players he had to piece meal together, at least that is what I keep telling myself to make 7 and the season seem better.  With a year to evaluate the kids coming in I think we will see the shooting get better.  I think going forward the roster will look more like what he would like as a make up and you will see roles defined.  Granted, we have been told the kids coming in could shoot the rock in the past and well, as we all know, they struggled.

46 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Main thing is getting some guys in that can finish at the rim!!  It was so frustrating last year how many layups and bunnies we missed....!!  I believe the guys we have sitting out and are adding are all pretty big guys that should be able to drive it in and finish better than say Burke or Cam.

No doubt--I could live with the up-and-down 3-pt. shooting %'s, but the non-finishing at the hoop made me want to rip out what's left up-top! Ughh

4 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Main thing is getting some guys in that can finish at the rim!!  It was so frustrating last year how many layups and bunnies we missed....!!  I believe the guys we have sitting out and are adding are all pretty big guys that should be able to drive it in and finish better than say Burke or Cam.

That's what James Palmer was really good at.   He was good at finishing.  Jeter was also pretty good at that if I recall correctly.   Petteway was too.  Big10 is a physical league.  It's probably why the do well in the NCAA tournament.  

On 3/25/2020 at 1:14 PM, REDitus said:

That's what James Palmer was really good at.   He was good at finishing.  Jeter was also pretty good at that if I recall correctly.   Petteway was too.  Big10 is a physical league.  It's probably why the do well in the NCAA tournament.  

Great point about Palmer, and if anybody watched his G League games this year, they would have seen JPJ finishing at a high clip at the rim, just like he did in college. Hopefully he has a shot at making an NBA roster in the next year or two.

• 4 weeks later...