OT: Over and Over

cipsucks

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

In honor of our Australian players, I highly recommend some movies from there.

1.  Breaker Morant: Starring Edward Woodward, Jack Thompson and Bryan Brown

Subject is the Boer War in South Africa.  Near the top of my list of favorites.

2.  Galipoli:  Starring Mel Gibson. Great story about Australian Troops sacrificed for   

the Empire on the Turkish Coast.

3.  My Brilliant Career:  Judy Davis is wonderful

4.  Strictly Ballroom: Yes, it’s about dancing.

5.  Picnic at Hanging Rock:  about the strange disappearance of school girls from a          

School picnic.  

All of these have great stories.

I took a film studies course in undergrad and we studied both Galipoli and Picnic at Hanging Rock, can confirm both are quality films.

11 hours ago, KZRider said:

No doubt there are some great modern movies but I thought I would jump in the "Wayback Machine" -- I love silent movies!

Harold Lloyd: "Safety Last" ... "Why Worry" ... "One Week" -- FYI, Lloyd was born in Burchard, NE    (And sold popcorn at a stand on the streets of Beatrice growing-up)

Some talkies, too

Watch how one story was treated three times: "The Maltese Falcon" a pre-code film referred to today as Dangerous Female (1931) ... "Satan Met a Lady" (1936) ... "The Maltese Falcon" (1941). The first two are awful but they make you realize how well done the classic presented.

Just goes to show that someone who likes Silent Movies and Film Noir, just Can't be ALL Bad!  :Lol:   (Thanks @KZRider :Salute:)

Here's my contribution: (oops, guess I did something early-on :Redface:)

For lovers of Film Noir, and classic B&W, TCM has about a 2 hr show every Friday Night ('Noir Alley') around 10pm Eastern (repeated early Sunday morning) hosted by Eddie Muller, sometimes called the 'Czar of Noir.'  Muller's knowledge of Film Noir is encyclopedic; He introduces each film (with back stories) which is worth the price of admission alone.

Btw, Eddie Muller hosts an annual Film Noir Festival each January where they screen some 20 vintage Film Noirs over 10 days.  I've been able to attend almost every showing for the past 18 years (Now, That's a LOT of:Popcorn: ).

www.noircity.com

image.png

Edited by Red Don

11 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Yes, and I always thought it was somewhat remarkable that so many significant movie stars in addition to Lloyd came from Nebraska; i.e. Marlon Brando, Fred Astaire, Henry Fonda, Robert Taylor, Nick Nolte,etc. 

How could you forget Paul Williams?  American culture just wouldn't be the same without Little Enos Burdette!

See the source image

Cazzie: Don't forget "Quigley Down Under", one of my favorites. And to save anyone some lost time, avoid my last night's movie at all costs. "The Snowman" was interesting only because it  took place in Oslo and Bergan and had the Fassbinder guy who played the evil replicant in the latest Alien movie. It was supposed to be a film noirish serial killer thriller but the plot was so convoluted and the twists so murky that it bordered on gibberish. I challenge anyone who may have seen this movie to explain the so-called plot. If anyone ever travels to Norway, do not shelter in a theater playing this one in a snowstorm because you will freeze to death when you run outside screaming for someone to explain what is going on. And here's my creepy finding this morning. I did my daily Facebook visit, and not only was the appearance "updated" but a big ad for Film Noirs had appeared. Then I checked my gmail and got a non-solicited google map communication showing me all of the places I have visited both locally and regionally during the past year. Big Brother definitely has his eye on me. 

17 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

In honor of our Australian players, I highly recommend some movies from there.

1.  Breaker Morant: Starring Edward Woodward, Jack Thompson and Bryan Brown

Subject is the Boer War in South Africa.  Near the top of my list of favorites.

2.  Galipoli:  Starring Mel Gibson. Great story about Australian Troops sacrificed for   

the Empire on the Turkish Coast.

3.  My Brilliant Career:  Judy Davis is wonderful

4.  Strictly Ballroom: Yes, it’s about dancing.

5.  Picnic at Hanging Rock:  about the strange disappearance of school girls from a          

School picnic.  

All of these have great stories.

My favorite is The Year of Living Dangerously, with Mel Gibson as an Australian journalist in Indonesia. Directed by Aussie Peter Weir, who also directed Picnic at Hanging Rock and Gallipoli. Sigourney Weaver, while not Australian, also makes it worth watching. 

4 hours ago, jimmykc said:

And here's my creepy finding this morning. I did my daily Facebook visit, and not only was the appearance "updated" but a big ad for Film Noirs had appeared. Then I checked my gmail and got a non-solicited google map communication showing me all of the places I have visited both locally and regionally during the past year. Big Brother definitely has his eye on me. 

You're On my LIST, Jimmy!!!!     :Lol:

• 7 months later...

As we await the big game with Doane tonight I thought I would add another flick to Jimmy's Hidden Gem Movie List since I still find myself downloading movies I would never have thought of checking out before the pandemic. My gem today is "The Warrior's Way" which is a 2010 movie considered to be a huge box office and critical flop. Nevertheless, this New Zealand/South Korean spaghetti/sushi eastern/western had great cinematography and score and enough blood to rival John Wick at his best. Who can resist evil cowboys mixing it up with martial arts assassins as creepy clowns look on? Seemed about right for Christmas 2020 viewing to me.