Kobe Webster is 'N'

4 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

We lost Cam Mack and Dachon Burke.

We gained Kobe Webster, Kobe King, Dalano Banton and Teddy Allen.

I wouldn't say we are severely limited at the guard spot at all. And I think you are under-estimating Teddy Allen's skill-set as well. Also i might add Webster might not be as quick or as skilled as Mack, but if he is 10x the person/teammate mack was, we'll be better off. 

Also, Fred's second year team at Iowa State had Royce White as its primary "guard" and that went alright (23-11, NCAA Second Round). Iowa State's starting lineup in 2011-12 was 6-3, 6, 3, 6-5, 6-6, 6-8.

Right now our starting lineup for next year is probably 6-0 Webster, 6-4 King, 6-5 Allen, 6-8 Banton, 6-9 Ouedraogo. 

I was worried about our guards before. But adding a senior grand transfer/proven DI scorer/proven good teammate, I'm not worried about it now. We need an athletic big man more than another guard.

Good post. Hard to disagree with you I suppose.

Can we quit calling Yvan 6’9” tho? That’s a lie hahahaha

and will he start over Walker?

Edited by basketballjones

24 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

He claims he wants to play “close to home” & Omaha’s a LOT closer to Lincoln than Lawrence or Lexington (KY). Plus, I can already picture him in the Road Reds...😌😌😌

Sallis sure does look good running up & down that court with a script 'Huskers' at midcourt. I hope he's 'N' in the end. Would be a huge boost to Hoiberg's recruitment locally.

7 hours ago, basketballjones said:

The only two on that list who I consider a guard are King and Webster. Neither are here yet and one we don’t know the eligibility on. However, maybe I would have been more accurate if I said, “were severely missing quick, slashing, ball-screen manipulating guards.”

-Banton, sure, I get it. But completely unproven.

-Allen, not a guard in my opinion. Literally playing the 5-ish spot at WNCC, and will play a 3-4-5 like Kevin Cross (but waaaaaay better, don’t get me twisted now). Also, high risk player here. 

-Thor, this board hasn’t seemed to be in agreement with me on this, but he’s not very good. He gave a valiant effort on the worst team in Nebraska basketball history, and I applaud him for that. 

Green not make the list because you don't think he will be here or you don't think highly enough of him?

5 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

We need two more bigs who are athletic. I hope for H.S. Center Sanogo and someone else- either Clemence or a high-quality grad. transfer. It looks like Whitt will be in the class w/ Sallis. Wouldn't it be great to get those two!

2 more?  There are 7 new players next year if King is eligible.  That leaves Ivan, Cross, Thor, Green as contributors if they stay.  11 players with 8-9 spots available.  

2 hours ago, jayschool said:

Hey, he turns 18 this week. He may be 6-9 by next year. Start? Toss-up, but Walker will be four years older with two years of P5 experience under his belt, so ...

Ouedraogo is Walkers senior by 250ish minutes in terms of actual playing time FWIW. In half the years of eligibility, albiet on a much worse team.

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Good post. Hard to disagree with you I suppose.

Can we quit calling Yvan 6’9” tho? That’s a lie hahahaha

and will he start over Walker?

I don't think either are particularly good, and I expect a healthy dose of a 5-man small lineup that doesn't include either of them on the floor.

5 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

We need two more bigs who are athletic. I hope for H.S. Center Sanogo and someone else- either Clemence or a high-quality grad. transfer. It looks like Whitt will be in the class w/ Sallis. Wouldn't it be great to get those two!

You may get one big

This is a very good addition.

I’m still intrigued with a bully ball lineup of:

Banton (6’8”)

King (6’4”)

Allen (6’5”)

Mayen (6‘9”)

Yvan (6’9)

Free throw:  

Webster (80% ft)

King (70% ft)

Allen (90% ft)

Stevenson (60% ft)

Mayen (80% ft)  

3pt:

Webster (33%)

Thor (37%)

Allen (40%)

Mayen (35%)

Stevenson (35%)

Small Ball/Ball Skills:

Webster

King

Allen

Benton

Stevenson

Webster makes our lineup WAY more diverse because we can move Banton around.  

14 hours ago, hal9000 said:

Webster’s numbers remind me a bit of, well, Websters.  More of a scoring/shoot first PG, just based on his stats.  Looking forward to what he’ll bring to the offense.

Just guessing off the limited tape I’ve seen of him, I expect him to be an upgrade from Mack in terms of scoring and shooting.

But, he won’t be as good of a distributor. I think Mack was pretty special in that regard so no surprise there. 

16 hours ago, hal9000 said:

Webster’s numbers remind me a bit of, well, Websters.  More of a scoring/shoot first PG, just based on his stats.  Looking forward to what he’ll bring to the offense.

Kobe as a freshman was shooting at a higher rate than Tai did in his senior year.  How much is he willing to cut down on that to look for high percentage shots for him or his teammates? Kobe jacking up contested mid-range twos isn't going to fly with this team.

FWIW as a guy who was the focal point for a bad offense his entire career he is experienced in creating and taking the tough shots you might need at the end of a game. I think maybe that was Burke or Mack this year but it didn't really feel like we had someone that great for this.

i completely missed this pickup. been a lot in the news lately. this is a very good pickup. very efficient scoring point guard.

kobe

kobe

teddy

dalano

y'van

i'd say that's an improvement over our starters this year.

bench is not bad either. could use 1 more solid guard.

- thor,shamiel,lat, walker,cross?, akol?,

Edited by FredsSlacks

Scout’s take: “He’s gotten better each year, and has the ultimate green light. Scores at all three levels. Prefers to play off the bounce to pull-ups. Bad-shot taker, and bad-shot maker. Really good in ball-screen actions and in transition. Played hard and with a purpose.”

https://watchstadium.com/top-20-college-basketball-transfers-who-can-play-in-2020-21-03-24-2020/

Seems like a guy who we could rely on to take a tough shot with a low shot clock or the game on the line. Also seems like a guy who could drive Hoiberg nuts taking low percentage shots.  

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

https://watchstadium.com/top-20-college-basketball-transfers-who-can-play-in-2020-21-03-24-2020/

Seems like a guy who we could rely on to take a tough shot with a low shot clock or the game on the line. Also seems like a guy who could drive Hoiberg nuts taking low percentage shots.  

So, that sounds a lot like Dachon Burke, then.