2020 Transfer Szn

hhcmatt

Washut says Figueroa would’ve been very interested in coming to Nebraska, but Hoiberg wasn’t willing to let go of one of our scholarship guys. I think Figueroa is an all-conference type player and pro level talent. He’s really freaking good. He was in a bad situation last season, as he really doesn’t fit in Mike Anderson’s system. Would’ve been a huge get for us. That said, I like our roster and glad that Hoiberg is keeping it intact at this point. 

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Washut says Figueroa would’ve been very interested in coming to Nebraska, but Hoiberg wasn’t willing to let go of one of our scholarship guys. I think Figueroa is an all-conference type player and pro level talent. He’s really freaking good. He was in a bad situation last season, as he really doesn’t fit in Mike Anderson’s system. Would’ve been a huge get for us. That said, I like our roster and glad that Hoiberg is keeping it intact at this point. 

This is good to hear IMO.   Yah,  Figueroa is really good and would be an upgrade but it's like fishing lures.   Add to many spinners to the bait your just going to end up screwing up the action.   

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Possibly says what they think about Akol Arop.

18 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

He’s essentially a scholarship practice player going forward unless he makes an incredible transformation. With the one time transfer rules expected next year I doubt he sticks around much past the year. 

Have you heard something specific or just guessing?

His game improved exponentially in a short period of time.  He is transforming from a back to the basket high school player to an athletic, play in space, wing.  From what I am hearing, there has been a mutual high-five on his progress.

Also, he may still be lagging behind a bit on offense, but let's not forget about his defense and intangibles.   He appears to be sort of a glue type of teammate. 

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

His game improved exponentially in a short period of time.  He is transforming from a back to the basket high school player to an athletic, play in space, wing.  From what I am hearing, there has been a mutual high-five on his progress.

Also, he may still be lagging behind a bit on offense, but let's not forget about his defense and intangibles.   He appears to be sort of a glue type of teammate. 

Glue teammates can sometimes learn to shoot as well...  think about ozzie smith in baseball -- always had the athletic ability and defense, learned to hit.

It's possible he made big enough of a jump forward with his athleticism that hoiberg wants to keep him around.

So many people want us to develop young talent but are shocked when it seems to be happening (if Hoiberg is not pursuing guys like that, you know it probably is).

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

That’s just my thoughts on him. Because he has to transform his game and improve in several key areas I just don’t see him being anything more than a guy that gets in at the end of blowout games. He barely played last year until the season was lost and then struggled to show much in those chances. 

With the way Hoiberg is willing to turn over the roster I expect him to continue to recruit over him as well as others. I’d expect him to play less next year than he did this year on average and that average got there because of those last 3 games. 

I hope for his sake that’s not the case and he improved that much to get the chance but there’s already 11 guys on the roster I expect to play more than him and doubt we are playing that deep on a regular basis. 

20 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

That’s just my thoughts on him. Because he has to transform his game and improve in several key areas I just don’t see him being anything more than a guy that gets in at the end of blowout games. He barely played last year until the season was lost and then struggled to show much in those chances. 

With the way Hoiberg is willing to turn over the roster I expect him to continue to recruit over him as well as others. I’d expect him to play less next year than he did this year on average and that average got there because of those last 3 games. 

I hope for his sake that’s not the case and he improved that much to get the chance but there’s already 11 guys on the roster I expect to play more than him and doubt we are playing that deep on a regular basis. 

Think sit-out non transfer.  Hoiberg likes the guys who sit out a year.  The question is where his game is going, not necessarily where it is at.

36 minutes ago, kleitus said:

Think sit-out non transfer.  Hoiberg likes the guys who sit out a year.  The question is where his game is going, not necessarily where it is at.

I know he likes that but that's when he is getting guys he feels are very talented and are perfect fits for his system and that year will prep them to be potential major contributors.  He also likes them because they can't play and are guys he doesn't have to worry about making them happy with getting minutes though either, which is not the case for Arop.  Arop was not someone he personally pursued though and was essentially stuck with him as he's a local kid and you don't burn the bridges of the in state coaches out of the gate.  Matt A has said once the one time transfer rule comes up he said they might consider carrying less than the 13 scholarships so they obviously aren't that worried about using one on him; for now.  

55 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

I know he likes that but that's when he is getting guys he feels are very talented and are perfect fits for his system and that year will prep them to be potential major contributors.  He also likes them because they can't play and are guys he doesn't have to worry about making them happy with getting minutes though either, which is not the case for Arop.  Arop was not someone he personally pursued though and was essentially stuck with him as he's a local kid and you don't burn the bridges of the in state coaches out of the gate.  Matt A has said once the one time transfer rule comes up he said they might consider carrying less than the 13 scholarships so they obviously aren't that worried about using one on him; for now.  

Definitely could have something to do with sallis... but I highly doubt he would waste his time if arop wasn't growing by leaps and bounds into his talent.

On 5/29/2020 at 2:53 PM, TheKamdyMan said:

He’s essentially a scholarship practice player going forward unless he makes an incredible transformation. With the one time transfer rules expected next year I doubt he sticks around much past the year. 

That's certainly another possibility. It's not year one any more so you can't just cut a guy.  You can tell a guy he should transfer because he will never play and he can say he's fine with that arrangement. 

12 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That's certainly another possibility. It's not year one any more so you can't just cut a guy.  You can tell a guy he should transfer because he will never play and he can say he's fine with that arrangement. 

The Benny Parker situation. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 9:22 AM, millerhusker said:

This post is 3 weeks old