2020 Transfer Szn

hhcmatt

Matt Haarms, the nation's top available transfer, has committed to BYU over Kentucky and Texas Tech. "I just felt an absolutely awesome connection with them," Haarms told ESPN. Immediately eligible. Averaged 8.6 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.0 blocks last season at Purdue.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We'd need to make room. We don't currently have a spot available. Who would leave?

Yes, therein lies the problem.  The question is would you be comfortable if Fred asked Arop to leave the program if it meant getting this high end of a player.  If this ever did come to pass, I wouldn't necessarily pass harsh judgement on Fred and I'm not exactly really sure how I would feel about it.  That's the business of big time college athletics and I'm sure this stuff happens all the time in football but its more easily concealed and less talked about with a roster of 80+ on scholarship.

• 2 weeks later...

We have no room now. But we had room last year. He'd be eligible now if he'd have transferred like he originally planned, and he'd be awesome for this squad.

But I think it's just not in the cards. Who would leave at this point to make room for him? I have no idea. And even if someone was going to leave, there's no guarantee he'd want to play here.

Last year was when it needed to happen or not at all.

I'd pass on him.  One year of eligibility only, and it sounds like he expects to get a waiver to play immediately.  So the question really is this: do you rock the boat and tell a current kid to leave, in exchange for adding one extra highly talented player to next year's roster?  I think you only do that if it gets your team "over the hump" for that one year.  Would LJ be enough to take us to the NCAA Tournament in Year 2 of Hoiball?  No, I don't think that extra addition is enough.  And in my book, being more competitive for the NIT isn't a juicy enough carrot to force a current player out the door.  Nor is it worth losing trust with the remaining roster players.  Nor is it worth adding an extra data point for other programs to negatively recruit against us. 

24 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I'd pass on him.  One year of eligibility only, and it sounds like he expects to get a waiver to play immediately.  So the question really is this: do you rock the boat and tell a current kid to leave, in exchange for adding one extra highly talented player to next year's roster?  I think you only do that if it gets your team "over the hump" for that one year.  Would LJ be enough to take us to the NCAA Tournament in Year 2 of Hoiball?  No, I don't think that extra addition is enough.  And in my book, being more competitive for the NIT isn't a juicy enough carrot to force a current player out the door.  Nor is it worth losing trust with the remaining roster players.  Nor is it worth adding an extra data point for other programs to negatively recruit against us. 

Im in the same boat.  If he were a big time PF or Center that would be the missing piece, maybe you consider it but know there's a lot of pieces that would to be done and could hurt you long term with relationships and recruiting hurdles.  With him being a guard i think our backcourt is solid enough to get by without him.

8 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Considering LJ would be the best player on the team if you were to somehow find a way to get him a spot, you absolutely take him. But he's more than likely going to end up just declaring for the NBA and pursuing his professional career. 

I'd take Teddy over LJ.  And if the hype around Banton is even half true, then LJ would only be the third best player on the team.

Edited by aphilso1