Jump to content

Recommended Posts

image.png

 

When he deleted and reposted his message the only thing he changed was adding this line.

Between this and the apology this reads like a guy who absolutely knows that he there is a good chance he won't be drafted and that coming back to school is his best option.  The question then becomes is he coming back to this school.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is playing out like the spoiled brat who thought he was better than he was is starting to get a dose of reality.  I'm betting someone told him the truth about him getting drafted and how say... people will listen to your coach when it's a guy like hoiberg. 

 

He was probably flat told to apologize.  It reads that way to me.

 

It's going to be interesting how hard reality is going to hit home here.  And the fallout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

image.png

 

When he deleted and reposted his message the only thing he changed was adding this line.

Between this and the apology this reads like a guy who absolutely knows that he there is a good chance he won't be drafted and that coming back to school is his best option.  The question then becomes is he coming back to this school.

 


His original posting did not have that part in the body but he did say on his Instagram message that he would keep his eligibility.
 

He reposted adding that message In the body of the post which is smart because that’s what everyone was reading and didn’t see

his message at the bottom. 

 

 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

image.png

 

When he deleted and reposted his message the only thing he changed was adding this line.

Between this and the apology this reads like a guy who absolutely knows that he there is a good chance he won't be drafted and that coming back to school is his best option.  The question then becomes is he coming back to this school.

 

You mean “The University of Lincoln”?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

 

For me pretty much. I'd say the only unexpected thing was how quickly he declared due to him being suspended.  I saw him asking around for someone to help on edit before we were done playing which obviously was for his graphic to make a statement.

 

How much does Nebraska want him back? He's obviously talented but hypothetically if you think he's going to be an ongoing problem in the effort to install a culture and you can approximately replace him with Banton I'd think that Nebraska has the option to release him from the team for conduct after strike 4 in Minnesota. 

 

I don't think you can approximately replace Mack with Banton.  They have complementary rather than interchangeable skillsets.  I really think Mack would thrive surrounded by next year's lineup, as that would allow him to be a distributor first and playmaker second.  If he does come back, that means that 1. the NBA feedback wasn't great and 2. there will be enough talent on the team to compete for a post-season berth.  That should be enough to keep him bought-in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cam is the most immature player I’ve ever witnessed at Nebraska. He’s not a kid anymore (almost 22). Harsh, but really not hyperbole. We were told as much before he ever played his first game here. Truly believe we’ll be better off in the long run without him. He will have a rude awakening wherever he ends up next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read his posts as leaving an option open to return here. He needs a comma between "forward" and "that" in his "nobody perfect" post to make sense of his meaning though. We'll have to wait and see if he is asked to return now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Cam is the most immature player I’ve ever witnessed at Nebraska. He’s not a kid anymore (almost 22). Harsh, but really not hyperbole. We were told as much before he ever played his first game here. Truly believe we’ll be better off in the long run without him. He will have a rude awakening wherever he ends up next year. 

 

Weren't around for the Joe McCray era?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I read his posts as leaving an option open to return here. He needs a comma between "forward" and "that" in his "nobody perfect" post to make sense of his meaning though. We'll have to wait and see if he is asked to return now.

 

Nobody perfect, Jimmy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, coughunter said:

That was one game. Lets pump the breaks a little

 

sadly, i agree. banton averaged 15 mpg at WKU but averaged only 5 mpg in the last 10 games of the season. Basically, he got benched. his assist:turnover ratio at the end of the year was barely over 1. I know fred likes positionless basketball, but I can't fathom him being the guy bringing the ball up the floor and running the show for 30+ mins per game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

 

sadly, i agree. banton averaged 15 mpg at WKU but averaged only 5 mpg in the last 10 games of the season. Basically, he got benched. his assist:turnover ratio at the end of the year was barely over 1. I know fred likes positionless basketball, but I can't fathom him being the guy bringing the ball up the floor and running the show for 30+ mins per game

 

A little more to this story.  Rick Stansburry is a notorious 'play the starting 5' guy and Banton wouldn't probably have been playing much at all if senior PG Lamonte Bearden wasn't ineligible to start the season. Once Bearden got re-established himself that was the end for Banton. As far as the turnovers, Western Kentucky was essentially running a dribble-drive type offense.  Why Banton was turning the ball over matters; his assist to turnover ratio doesn't matter because i can assure you it will be better here even if he turns the ball over significantly more.

 

Maybe he's a liability if people start pressuring us bringing the ball up the court but seems like he should be a capable distributor in this offense . At 6'8" it's hard to imagine him not being better for our defense than Mack. We've had guys like Petteway and Palmer transfer in here after barely playing and become one of our best players. How is it that hard to fathom that Banton could do the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

He will be only a Sophomore.  Also, he came out of high school as a 6’6” point guard (he is now 6’8”) with some plaudits: 

 Banton was a four-star prospect ranked No. 92 in the nation. He was the No. 15 point guard in the country, and the No. 2 prospect from the state of New York.”

 

Edited by Swan88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Swan88 said:


My calculator says he averaged 16.2 minutes for the last 10 games of the season.  He didn’t play a lot his freshman year until January—but then he had five games with minutes in the 20s and five games with minutes in the 30s.  He did tail off in the last four games to minutes in the teens.


He will be only a Sophomore.  Also, he came out of high school as a 6’6” point guard (he is now 6’8”) with some plaudits: 

 Banton was a four-star prospect ranked No. 92 in the nation. He was the No. 15 point guard in the country, and the No. 2 prospect from the state of New York.”

 

 

the bottom 10 games you calculated were the first 10 games of the season. you looked at everything in reverse order lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

 

A little more to this story.  Rick Stansburry is a notorious 'play the starting 5' guy and Banton wouldn't probably have been playing much at all if senior PG Lamonte Bearden wasn't ineligible to start the season. Once Bearden got re-established himself that was the end for Banton. As far as the turnovers, Western Kentucky was essentially running a dribble-drive type offense.  Why Banton was turning the ball over matters; his assist to turnover ratio doesn't matter because i can assure you it will be better here even if he turns the ball over significantly more.

 

Maybe he's a liability if people start pressuring us bringing the ball up the court but seems like he should be a capable distributor in this offense . At 6'8" it's hard to imagine him not being better for our defense than Mack. We've had guys like Petteway and Palmer transfer in here after barely playing and become one of our best players. How is it that hard to fathom that Banton could do the same?

 

great points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

 

sadly, i agree. banton averaged 15 mpg at WKU but averaged only 5 mpg in the last 10 games of the season. Basically, he got benched. his assist:turnover ratio at the end of the year was barely over 1. I know fred likes positionless basketball, but I can't fathom him being the guy bringing the ball up the floor and running the show for 30+ mins per game

 

And the reason Banton lost minutes.... HC Rick Stansbury simply delegated minutes back to a Senior PG who had been out. It's not hard to fathom, at all. Timing is everything in life. And, perhaps, the timing is perfect for Dalano at NU, much like it was for Lance Jeter and Dylan Talley as bigger, stronger types at the PG position. I have faith in Dalano Banton, and most importantly, it appears the coaching staff does as well. They have mentioned how Dalano has schooled the 1st team throughout the 2019-20 season, which in hindsight, isn't as hard to imagine but the thought remains that the kid is a baller for all the right reasons.

 

 

Edited by AuroranHusker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

 

And the reason Banton lost minutes.... HC Rick Stansbury simply delegated minutes back to a Senior PG who had been out. It's not hard to fathom, at all. Timing is everything in life. And, perhaps, the timing is perfect for Dalano at NU, much like it was for Lance Jeter and Dylan Talley as bigger, stronger types at the PG position. I have faith in Dalano Banton, and most importantly, it appears the coaching staff does as well. They have mentioned how Dalano has schooled the 1st team throughout the 2019-20 season, which in hindsight, isn't as far to imagine but the thought remains that the kid is a baller for all the right reasons.

 

don't get me wrong, I think he will be a baller for us and Hoiberg will get the best out of him. I just don't think he will be the primarily ball handler/distributor on the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you know what, screw it. I'm probably way wrong. Dalano Banton will be our Royce White. Maybe they prefer Banton to Mack even and couldn't care less if Mack leaves.

 

Royce White 2011-12 (Fred's second year at ISU): 31.5 min/game. 13.4 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 170 assists, 130 turnovers. No one else on the team had even half as many assists or turnovers. 

 

I am not even more excited for next year. I could see Banton putting up those type of numbers given his assist/turnover ratio at WKU is about exactly what White's was. 

Edited by GoBigFred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...