Cam Mack

11 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops

Nebraska’s Cam Mack will not put declare for the NBA Draft, and will instead transfer. Sophomore point guard averaged 12 points and 6.4 assists last season. 

Mack said that Portland, UTEP, URI, Portland State, ECU and New Mexico State are all involved.

Can he also just go ahead and enter the transfer portal for 2021-22 and start gauging interest for his senior year?

30 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops

Nebraska’s Cam Mack will not put declare for the NBA Draft, and will instead transfer. Sophomore point guard averaged 12 points and 6.4 assists last season. 

Mack said that Portland, UTEP, URI, Portland State, ECU and New Mexico State are all involved.

yikes...  not what i was expecting for interested schools

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

The list of interested schools says a lot for what schools are NOT included.

Mid-majors all. Not a single P5 school. Not one. Doesn't exactly scream "NBA talent" at you, does it?

I wonder if he was at all surprised by the lack of P5 interest when he announced his transfer.

Power 5 schools are probably realizing if a calm dude like Freddy had to suspend Cam 4-5x in one year, they're not interested in 2 more years of that type of nonsense. . .

I think he will end up with a better offer if he waits it out.  Some P5 school will have late attrition (a la AWIII) and be desperate enough for talent that they are willing to take on the extra baggage with Cam.  The question to me isn't if he would eventually get a P5 offer, but more so if he is willing to wait that long.  Easier to take the bird in the hand than the two in the bush, and other such analogies, ya know?

Okay...I am going to say this, just because...

He thanks God for a lot, and in truth God did choose to entrust the young man with physical talent.  But God must have been a bit playful that day and said I WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH WITH QUICKNESS AND BASKETBALL TALENT, BUT I MUST REMOVE GOOD JUDGEMENT AND WISDOM FROM YOU!  And so today we have what we have...a good point guard prone to bad judgement and questionable wisdom.  

I truly do wish him well.

And I apologize for my frustrated vent.

5 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Okay...I am going to say this, just because...

He thanks God for a lot, and in truth God did choose to entrust the young man with physical talent.  But God must have been a bit playful that day and said I WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH WITH QUICKNESS AND BASKETBALL TALENT, BUT I MUST REMOVE GOOD JUDGEMENT AND WISDOM FROM YOU!  And so today we have what we have...a good point guard prone to bad judgement and questionable wisdom.  

I truly do wish him well.

And I apologize for my frustrated vent.

No need to apologize.  You pretty much nailed it.  A lot of potential talent but at times, the kid seemed to be a couple fries short of a happy meal.

5 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

I looked at the official list of those who put their name in the NBA draft. I did not see Mack, assuming he did not get the correct paperwork submitted which would not be surprising. Very odd kid but hope things turn out well for him

He already "withdrew" to pursue transferring elsewhere with 2 years of eligibility remaining... methinks Cam wanted publicity, then it didn't occur with the sports world relatively at a standstill, Mack pulled the "name" from consideration (if he ever actually officially declared for the NBA, that is)...

At this point I really just hope Cam gets a degree from somewhere.  He will mature at some point, whether that's next year or two decades from now.  When he does, that diploma will make adjusting to adult life much easier for him.  I wish him the best, particularly off the court.

12 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

He already "withdrew" to pursue transferring elsewhere with 2 years of eligibility remaining... methinks Cam wanted publicity, then it didn't occur with the sports world relatively at a standstill, Mack pulled the "name" from consideration (if he ever actually officially declared for the NBA, that is)...

What am I missing?  Doesnt he have to sit out a year with only 2 years left?  Meaning he will waste a year of eligibility by transferring?  When we got him I thought he was a 3 for 3 guy.

His eligibility clock is a bit confusing.  He played a game in 17/18 at SFA, and a full season at SLCC in 18/19.  Then a year for us.  So he has played two full seasons plus like 5 seconds of a third season, which I'm guessing he got permission to count as his redshirt year.  But either way, his clock should have already started in 2017, right? 

Maybe he is assuming that he can use the new one time transfer rule that is supposedly coming.  But as someone who has already used his redshirt year, and is now transferring for a third time, he doesn't seem like someone who a "first time transfer rule" would apply to.

I gotta be honest. There are a lot of people out there to worry about and care about and hope they're doing well and worry for if they're not. I don't wish for anything bad for Cam, but I'm not going to pretend to care where he goes or what he does from here. He doesn't seem to care enough to make sure that he doesn't make bad decisions and get suspended, so I'm not going to give more of a shit than he does. That might sound harsh, but I'm just being honest. I have a little bit of care fatigue right now and I'm a lot more concerned about all the bar and restaurant owners and workers (among many others) who don't have a livelihood right now.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I gotta be honest. There are a lot of people out there to worry about and care about and hope they're doing well and worry for if they're not. I don't wish for anything bad for Cam, but I'm not going to pretend to care where he goes or what he does from here. He doesn't seem to care enough to make sure that he doesn't make bad decisions and get suspended, so I'm not going to give more of a shit than he does. That might sound harsh, but I'm just being honest. I have a little bit of care fatigue right now and I'm a lot more concerned about all the bar and restaurant owners and workers (among many others) who don't have a livelihood right now.

Yup. 

I haven’t done it in a couple years, but I used to put in my signature the names of guys who transferred saying how I didn’t care about them. I only have so much energy to give to something like college sports. Guys who don’t play for the teams I cheer for? I don’t really have energy for them at all, honestly. 

9 hours ago, PimpMario said:

What am I missing?  Doesnt he have to sit out a year with only 2 years left?  Meaning he will waste a year of eligibility by transferring?  When we got him I thought he was a 3 for 3 guy.

With his mom's illness he's got a real good shot at getting a waiver, especially if he goes someplace closer to home.  And then when he graduates after next year he'll more than likely move on to school number 6.

• 3 weeks later...